Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very interested in possibly buying a Cross Country in the near future, and am curious how the stock single headlight performs?

My current bike which is dual headlight which I currently upgraded to led lighting is excellent.

Any former Harley touring riders with input would really be helpful, not looking for comparison against the led's but I have a Road King with passing lamps, and Road Glide as well.

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I came from a 2002 GoldWing that had 4 lamps - 2 low and 2 high. While the XCT single headlight (1 high 1 low) isn't as bright as the GW, it is definitely good enough. I did, however, supplement it with LED lights...

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I upgraded the stock bulbs with the VictoryHID high and low beams from http://victoryhid.com. $80.00 for both and ballasts, and I selected the 5K color because its the brightest white without going into the blue spectrum. I certainly don't have ANY regrets doing it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info toejam, I really like these bikes and just want to make sure I have all my bases covered before I take the plunge.

·
13,002 Posts
Single head lights have been around for ever cause they work good. My old street glide had one and I could see just fine on all my trips.
I think a HID light is brighter then your LED light nd its way cheaper.
However, HID lights are much brighter than current LED configurations. This is because the side-emitting light found with HIDs is much easier to focus; the front-emitting nature of LEDs does not lend itself to a tightly focused beam. HID lighting is still preferred by most divers given the superior intensity and tight focus. However, LED technology is changing rapidly and it is foreseeable that LEDs will eventually surpass the performance of HID lighting.
Keep in mind car LED's are brighter cause the car alternator puts out more voltage then a h-d voltage

·
Registered
262 Posts
The stock headlight is very good. I ride at nite a lot and I have no problems seeing. You certainly upgrade it hid if you want more light. For only 80 bucks you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
611 Posts
It's ok. My 919 with a single headlight and bulb (dual filament) is better, my aprilia that I did a projector retrofit with HID is better still. The beam is nice and wide and the light output is sufficient for a relaxed pace on a relatively open road. In the tight wooded backroads of CT I found it to be a bit lacking but not so much that I think I'll need more than an upgraded halogen bulb. I'm completely against using HID bulbs in halogen reflectors but that's a rant that's not needed in this thread.

I will say that I find the high beam to be all but worthless. It adds a bit of extra light but the difference is so small I don't bother with it most of the time. That may be due to the bulb itself being sub par, I don't know what victory installs from the factory. At some point in the near future I'll be replacing both bulbs with something along the lines of a silverstar or similar. If I'm still not satisfied with the output I'll gut the headlight and do a bixenon projector retrofit like I did on my aprilia.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's ok. My 919 with a single headlight and bulb (dual filament) is better, my aprilia that I did a projector retrofit with HID is better still. The beam is nice and wide and the light output is sufficient for a relaxed pace on a relatively open road. In the tight wooded backroads of CT I found it to be a bit lacking but not so much that I think I'll need more than an upgraded halogen bulb. I'm completely against using HID bulbs in halogen reflectors but that's a rant that's not needed in this thread.

If a Cross Country is in my future I was definitely going to consider the HID replacement, at $80 its a no brainer. Without starting a rant can I ask why you dont like HID bulbs in a halogen reflector, and before 2013 didn't the Cross Country come with and HID bulb low beam standard? Did they change the reflector starting in 2013?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Since we're on the subject of headlights / lights, can someone please tell me what is the best position for the side lamps. When I have the left lamp directed to the left toward the road center line and lower than the headlamp it's quite cocked to the left rather than straight.
Looks kind of goofy.

Thank you

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
My last HD had a single LED( TL Phase7), the stock XC didn't cut it. I recently added a VictoryHID 6000k hi/low kit and it does a great job and made a huge difference.
stock

VictoryHID

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I put the HIDs in also, but my recap above was in regard to the OEM bulbs. The HID definitely makes it better :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
If a Cross Country is in my future I was definitely going to consider the HID replacement, at $80 its a no brainer. Without starting a rant can I ask why you dont like HID bulbs in a halogen reflector, and before 2013 didn't the Cross Country come with and HID bulb low beam standard? Did they change the reflector starting in 2013?
HID bulbs emit light in a different pattern than halogens do. Reflectors are designed around the type of bulb expected to be used. HID bulbs in halogen reflectors create hot spots and glare that is blinding to oncoming drivers. It pisses people off and angry drivers are the last thing you should want when you're on a bike. Subjectively they improve visibility at night, Objectively the glare and uneven beam pattern does very little other than make a narrow section in front of you VERY bright while leaving the sides of the road poorly lit by comparison ultimately reducing visibility overall. A reflector designed for HID's (typically but not always found only in projector headlights) creates an even beam pattern that at least attempts to keep the light from going directly into the eyes of oncoming traffic.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
HID bulbs emit light in a different pattern than halogens do. Reflectors are designed around the type of bulb expected to be used. HID bulbs in halogen reflectors create hot spots and glare that is blinding to oncoming drivers. It pisses people off and angry drivers are the last thing you should want when you're on a bike. Subjectively they improve visibility at night, Objectively the glare and uneven beam pattern does very little other than make a narrow section in front of you VERY bright while leaving the sides of the road poorly lit by comparison ultimately reducing visibility overall. A reflector designed for HID's (typically but not always found only in projector headlights) creates an even beam pattern that at least attempts to keep the light from going directly into the eyes of oncoming traffic.
And now we have a vegeterian's expert opinion on steak. cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Meanie

As I get older, although still 20/20) I am requiring more light at night to feel fully in control. The stock headlamp on my 2013 CCT leaves me wanting more. On top of that I also have an irrational fear of thrown tire tread ('Road Gators') and want a bit more notice when they are crawling up on me. I am saving up for the HID 6000K headlamp from Vic. I know there are cheaper options out there but have concerns about interference and problems resulting in a ballast that is not engineered for the package.

Wheels

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Thanks for the info toejam, I really like these bikes and just want to make sure I have all my bases covered before I take the plunge.
If the headlight on the bike could sway your purchasing decision, well, you need to put a little 'Zen' into your motorcycle purchasing... how the bike 'feels' is THE most important factor... are you an accountant or a professional closet organizer? You're too analytical. If you haven't done it yet get on one of these motorcycles, ride it... then go do that for all the other motorcycles that interest you, then buy one... the one that 'feels' right... headlights can be changed.

·
Registered
372 Posts
It's funny, the anti-HID brigade seems to be present on every type of forum around. While what you say about the reflector is true, in general, it is not ALWAYS a problem. I've driven about 65K miles on my RAM truck with aftermarket HIDs and I never get flashed by other vehicles. If the light was so blinding I'd think at least the occasional driver would let me know with a flash. And the Dodge forums have folks with the exact same statements as above.

Do HIDs have these issues in a Cross Country? I don't know. Do you? Please don't bring up these general HID complaints unless you KNOW that they affect this model because it is not a universal problem. Even if they do glare a bit, well the goal on a cycle is to get noticed so other drivers don't run into you. Maybe glaring HIDs is a good thing...

Rob

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
The HID is an excellent Choice for getting a Better Light .. I went a step farther and added the AZ Police Light Option Cost you $399.00 but well worth it to me ..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the headlight on the bike could sway your purchasing decision, well, you need to put a little 'Zen' into your motorcycle purchasing... how the bike 'feels' is THE most important factor... are you an accountant or a professional closet organizer? You're too analytical. If you haven't done it yet get on one of these motorcycles, ride it... then go do that for all the other motorcycles that interest you, then buy one... the one that 'feels' right... headlights can be changed.
I in fact did test ride 2 XC's this weekend, and I was so impressed with them, is the only reason I am considering the move.

I do in fact have two motorcycles in my stable now so I really don"t have a problem taking the "plunge" what am not is an "accountant or professional closet organizer" I am a working stiff who's salary has not kept pace with inflation.

I do in fact ride approximately 10k a year, and do research before I jump in.

I do appreciate all the help and info.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Meanie,
I am very happy with the headlight on my '13 XC. I will probably upgrade my headlight in the near future but for now I have other mods I want to do first. If you do buy a XC and want to upgrade the lighting system check out Crossroads web site as he sells HID lights for Victory.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts