Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Member - PLEASE HELP! 2005 Hammer won't crank!

Need help with my 2005 Hammer. After not riding for about 6 months, put new battery in it, cranked and started but ran rough and hot. siphoned a lot of the gas out, and put about 2 new fresh gallons of 82 octane in it. Restarted and it ran better, but still rough. let it run for about 20-30 minutes, and it was getting hot. Turned it off. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, was going to take her for a ride, and burn off some of that old gas, and stuff. Bike turned over, but then would not start...or if it did, it would stall in about 5 to 10 seconds. Then, as I was pressing start button, smoke came from right side of the bike under gas tank...and then it stopped and would not even click or turn over? I must have fried something? Where to begin?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yesterday...After not riding for about 6 months, put new battery in it, cranked and started but ran rough and hot. siphoned a lot of the gas out, and put about 2 new fresh gallons of 82 octane in it. Restarted and it ran better, but still rough. let it run for about 20-30 minutes, and it was getting hot. Turned it off. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, was going to take her for a ride, and burn off some of that old gas, and stuff. Bike turned over, but then would not start...or if it did, it would stall in about 5 to 10 seconds. Then, as I was pressing start button to try to get it to run, smoke came from right side of the bike under gas tank...and then it stopped and would not even click or turn over? I must have fried something? Where to begin? Lights come on and fuel pump seems to be priming. Fuses look fine. Can't find anything burnt looking or melted. Still won't turn over or even click like it does with dead battery. Pressing start doesn't do a thing. No noise... nothing.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yesterday...After not riding for about 6 months, put new battery in it, cranked and started but ran rough and hot. siphoned a lot of the gas out, and put about 2 new fresh gallons of 82 octane in it. Restarted and it ran better, but still rough. let it run for about 20-30 minutes, and it was getting hot. Turned it off. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, was going to take her for a ride, and burn off some of that old gas, and stuff. Bike turned over, but then would not start...or if it did, it would stall in about 5 to 10 seconds. Then, as I was pressing start button to try to get it to run, smoke came from right side of the bike under gas tank...and then it stopped and would not even click or turn over? I must have fried something? Where to begin? Lights come on and fuel pump seems to be priming. Fuses look fine. Can't find anything burnt looking or melted. Still won't turn over or even click like it does with dead battery. Pressing start doesn't do a thing. No noise... nothing.
Start with the basics. Drain the tank, iirc victory specs 91/93 octane for all models though I could be wrong. Either way make sure all the old gas is out and fresh gas is in.

If you repeatedly started the motor without going on a real ride the battery is probably low, put it on a charger and top it off.

I would hazard a guess that nothing is turning over because you popped one of the primary fuses. The other one is sending power to lights and fuel pump but the main fuse for the starter may have popped. Check all your fuses and make sure. Once thats done you have to find the reason for the popped fuse. It could be a fluke or it could be a short somewhere.

I would further guess that the repeated cranking with a presumably low battery caused the motor to compress and ignite (barely) a charge in one cylinder but it was not enough to spin it over completely. The smoke is that burnt charge coming back out through the throttle bodies. I had this happen once on my Aprilia when my injectors were clogged and I couldn't get it to start. Inspect thoroughly to make sure nothing is burnt or melted and if everything looks fine, blame it on that and move on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Start with the basics. Drain the tank, iirc victory specs 91/93 octane for all models though I could be wrong. Either way make sure all the old gas is out and fresh gas is in.

If you repeatedly started the motor without going on a real ride the battery is probably low, put it on a charger and top it off.

I would hazard a guess that nothing is turning over because you popped one of the primary fuses. The other one is sending power to lights and fuel pump but the main fuse for the starter may have popped. Check all your fuses and make sure. Once thats done you have to find the reason for the popped fuse. It could be a fluke or it could be a short somewhere.

I would further guess that the repeated cranking with a presumably low battery caused the motor to compress and ignite (barely) a charge in one cylinder but it was not enough to spin it over completely. The smoke is that burnt charge coming back out through the throttle bodies. I had this happen once on my Aprilia when my injectors were clogged and I couldn't get it to start. Inspect thoroughly to make sure nothing is burnt or melted and if everything looks fine, blame it on that and move on.
Thanks for the great reply. I had somebody locally tell me that it is probably the starter solenoid? Not likely? I did inspect the fuses and they look fine? Not sure about the relays? Could the battery be that dead that it doesn't even click or anything when attempting to start...? The lights all come on bright. Thanks again.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes your battery could be extremely low from the constant starting. I understand you let it run, but most motorcycles don't charge the battery until the motor is run at a constant RPM, normally above idle. Now if you had run the bike around in between starts, then it would allow the battery to charge. If you have a voltage meter, check the battery voltage, but it surely wouldn't hurt to put it on the charger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes your battery could be extremely low from the constant starting. I understand you let it run, but most motorcycles don't charge the battery until the motor is run at a constant RPM, normally above idle. Now if you had run the bike around in between starts, then it would allow the battery to charge. If you have a voltage meter, check the battery voltage, but it surely wouldn't hurt to put it on the charger.
Thanks, I will give that a shot. The battery is brand new yesterday though...and even with my old battery, it would click or wind and attempt to turn over even slightly. Is it not possible that I burned up the solenoid by attempting to start it consecutively multiple times? Just trying to cover all my bases.

·
13,177 Posts
before you put the battery on charger check to see if bolts are tight.
Do Not use a charger over 2 amps give it over night to charge up.
Turn key on make sure you can hear fuel pump prim. If you do not here it prim stop start looking for electrical problem. Don't even push button

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Welcome to the forum Frank. I sure hope that octane rating is a typo. The engines like an octane of at least 91. I see you have a thread in the Tech area so I will let that be the one for all the hints for you.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Hope you find your problem and are riding again soon.
I'm amazed you'd leave an aircooled motor running stationary for 20-30 minutes .
5 minutes at the most and my engine is hot to touch on the l/h side and I'm riding, getting some airflow.
No way would I leave it running anywhere near that long.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hope you find your problem and are riding again soon.
I'm amazed you'd leave an aircooled motor running stationary for 20-30 minutes .
5 minutes at the most and my engine is hot to touch on the l/h side and I'm riding, getting some airflow.
No way would I leave it running anywhere near that long.
I was trying to get it to clear up because it was running rough. I wasn't really thinking it would get so hot til it was obvious that it was. Is it possible that the engine locked up? Would it lock up if it was too hot and I was attempting to start it? It was turning over but stalling right away.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
It could I have overheated a car before and it acted like it was a dead battery just like you explain. Let it cool down and bam fired right up like it never happened.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Maybe bump starting it? Have a few guys push you real fast key on and on/off switch on put it in neutral pull in the Clutch and put it in first or second and pop the clutch if it try's to start or makes a grumbling sound and rolls a few feet engine is not seized if it just skids and stops instantly your in trouble.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
First pull your spark plugs and inspect them try to start it with the plugs removed. Shine a scope or light in there and see if you see anything wrong oil/fuel in there. See what the plugs look like post pics! And just get new plugs there cheap.

·
13,177 Posts
If spark plugs are wet go buy a couple sets you'll need them. With plugs out push start button only for a few seconds cause you know it will not start.
Listen for fuel pump to prim.
With new plugs see if it will start.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
WARNING! DO NOT CRANK THE ENGINE WITH THE PLUGS OUT unless the plugs are securely grounded.
A big glob of hi-energy spark with nowhere to go can fry your coils.
If yr gonna try and push start in use second gear and have plenty of muscle pushing, dont be surprised if it just locks up trying to bump start.
The way Id check for seizure is plugs out , in gear, ignition off, raise the back wheel somehow and turn the wheel by hand ..or
hang on this is easier just pull the plugs and ignition off push the bike in gear that'll turn the motor over without screwing anything up.

Hope I got you in time,

·
13,177 Posts
Guess I said it wrong pull plugs and put them on work bench.
Now push the start button. Just a for a second or two. If motor spins over you know its not locked up.
No need to push it.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Guess I said it wrong pull plugs and put them on work bench.
Now push the start button. Just a for a second or two. If motor spins over you know its not locked up.
No need to push it.
Did you read my post Johnny?
Its in capitals cos its important.

·
Registered
611 Posts
If the lights are coming on you have power. Maybe not enough to crank the motor over but certainly enough to fire the solenoid which would give you an audible click.

Turn the key on and make sure the engine cut off is on. Does the fuel pump prime? This was asked before but you didn't give an answer. If the pump isn't priming you need to trace the various interlocks and find out why. Without looking at a wiring diagram those same interlocks could be stopping the solenoid from operating.

With the bike on, take a big pair of pliers and use them to bridge the two terminals on the solenoid. Does the engine turn over? If so your problem is not power related. If not, then something is preventing power from reaching the starter (like a blown fuse).

As for bump starting, I'd be shocked if a big twin like this even comes close to turning the motor over in 1st or 2nd. Hell even my SV I gotta put it in 3rd or 4th or the back tire just locks and that's just a baby 650 (albeit with a bit higher compression and shorter gears). I wouldn't worry about bump starting until you figure out why it's not turning over though.

At the very least get a known good battery, attach the negative terminal to the bike's ground cable, and run a jumper cable from the positive terminal to the starter terminal. If it still doesn't turn over the engine is either seized or the starter is shot.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts