Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was on a ride the other day, left the breakfast place.....bike stalled. Started fine, rode up the hill a ways.....started trying to die and backfire. Mt buddy bringing up the rear said it was running way rich, and my taillight went out when the bike starting dying out. I found a loose battery cable, cleaned and tightened that. Bike still stalled out a couple times. Do you think a TPS reset is needed because of the battery issue?
Sorry for the long story, just want you to know the details. 05 kingpin

·
Registered
346 Posts
My buddy had the exact same issues with his harley, bike would try and stall/die, running poor/rich. Lights were acting up. Turns out the battery had **** the bed even though it would start. Try a new battery or swapping one from your buddy's to try it.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
wouldnt hurt to clean your throttle bodies too

·
13,027 Posts
put battery on charger and after it has a full charge go get a load test on it. I'm thinking its the original battery and its done for.

Clean the throttle should be done once a year I'm thinking
look for cracks in the rubber plugs and hoses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOeH1UgzhQc

·
Registered
29 Posts
put battery on charger and after it has a full charge go get a load test on it. I'm thinking its the original battery and its done for.
The battery is a good place to start. According to the manual, the battery should read no less than 12.5V when the motor is off. It wouldn't hurt to charge it and then check it with a meter. If the reading starts dropping, it's toast.

When my original battery recently died on me I could get the motor to turn over sometimes and then another the lights would come on then die.

I replaced the battery with a Chrome battery. It was inexpensive and has been working well for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just put a new battery in about 2 months ago. Throttle bodies are clean, air filter is clean, battery connections are clean and tight. Called dynojet, they said to do a reset on the PC3 and reload the map, still runs like crap. It has been running fine for about a year, no changes made.....and now it stutters and stalls randomly. I even tried a different map, no luck.
I'm really missing my Honda right now, never an issue with that bike.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
I just put a new battery in about 2 months ago. Throttle bodies are clean, air filter is clean, battery connections are clean and tight. Called dynojet, they said to do a reset on the PC3 and reload the map, still runs like crap. It has been running fine for about a year, no changes made.....and now it stutters and stalls randomly. I even tried a different map, no luck.
I'm really missing my Honda right now, never an issue with that bike.
Well you could plug it into the computer at the dealership and it should come up with the error....or
Take it to a reputable tuner and have it dynoed
Or..buy that Honda back

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
You have an electrical gremlin somewhere. Check all relays and the circuit breaker. Check your grounds. Any relays that come apart lokk for moisture, clean and use dielectric grease. Watch when you wash your bike and where you spray water. Time to get familiar with your Victory. Do you have a service manual? Good luck.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Like he said^^^^ maybe the famous "Chinese" circuit braker syndrome????
It's definitely bit others on here. Lights going out and all...

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Wouldn't be the first time a power commander **** the bed either.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I have sold brand new batteries right off the shelf DEAD . The fact it is 2 months old is irrelevant . Get it load tested to rule that out .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Like he said^^^^ maybe the famous "Chinese" circuit braker syndrome????
It's definitely bit others on here. Lights going out and all...
Which circuit breaker are you talking about, is it one of those on the opposite side of the battery? I was thinking about checking them, nut how do you test them?

·
13,027 Posts
hard to test cause they reset themselves. Put 12v on one side and you should get 12v on the other side. Take a hair dryer and heat it up to see if you still get 12v. Or go to NAPA and buy 782-3116 there like 7 bucks
I'm betting the PC111 where do you have it grounded at. If its getting hot it could be failing

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Which circuit breaker are you talking about, is it one of those on the opposite side of the battery? I was thinking about checking them, nut how do you test them?
Best way to check it is just replace it and figure it is a maintenance item that will bite you later if it isn't what is biting you now.

Here is one of Paul's excellent videos on how to change it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_dqv_fgpYU

Here is a video on how to test one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gsuh0-k3nw
See Vj's post above too.

I think they cost about $5 - 10 at the auto parts store. I think amazon has them for closer to $5 if you have prime or need $30 of other stuff.

When you go to the auto parts store to get the breaker take your battery with you and ask them to load test it. That will eliminate 2 things at once.
Put it on a 2 amp charger now if you have one so that it is fully charged before you take it to the store with you.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Yep. Dont discount a bad battery cos it was new 2 months ago.
Ive had a couple of car batteries go on me, within a short time of purchase and replaced under battery warranty.
Start at the heart or you could be chasing your tail.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, I'm going to have the battery tested, and probably replace all the circuit breakers. Another issue came up, replaced the TPS, had to adjust the idle a bit.....seemed to run fine.....then it died again. I started it, idled fine.....turned the handle bars and it died. Turned the key on, not running, and the engine light came on as well as the fuel pump turning on and off as I moved the bars. My buddy wigled the wires going into the headlight and it the fuel pump cut in and out. Pulled the headlight out, and the HID box was pretty hot. Is it normal for it to be hot?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts