Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local shop in Fruitland ID stripped out my oil pan threads on my 08 Vision. They are closed this week, and I am supposed to leave Wednesday June 22 for Rapid City for the Hoka Hey Challenge. My only option was to install a helicoil. Unfortunately, the cross piece used to insert it broke off inside the engine while the bike was on it’s side. I can’t get it out; I have run the oil through several times and used a strainer to see if it’s come out. Can anyone give me a solution? I don’t have time to set up my 13 Boardwalk for this 10,000 mile 10 day trip. If you have something that can help, please text me at 5304030812.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,763 Posts
Posting the same post in three different forums isn't going to get you help any faster.

Try posting over on thevog.net, more members there.

Others I believe retrieved lost items in engine with removing the right side engine cover.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I'm stumped on the "cross piece" description. Are you saying the installation tool? How did you break that off? You only thread the coil in until it is about a half coil past top thread. Maybe bottomed it against something inside. Is it magnetic? Perhaps a bendably magnet tool. Or a couple duffle bags and your other bike. Why is the shop that messed it up not fixing it?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm stumped on the "cross piece" description. Are you saying the installation tool? How did you break that off? You only thread the coil in until it is about a half coil past top thread. Maybe bottomed it against something inside. Is it magnetic? Perhaps a bendably magnet tool. Or a couple duffle bags and your other bike. Why is the shop that messed it up not fixing it?
At the top of the helicoil is a tab that the insertion tool grabs in a slot. You turn it and the coil threads in. When you reverse it, pressure causes that tab to break, and the slotted tool removes it. Unfortunately, my bike was on its side and the piece dropped inside the oil reservoir. It’s about 1/2 the thickness of a metal clothes hanger, and about 1/3” long. I can’t get a magnet inside; the bend is too tight. I can’t get a camera inside; same problem. I’ve flushed it several times with regular oil and Marvel Mystery Oil, and strained the oil as it drained. No luck. Someone said to remove the timing cover. I have poor mechanical ability; that’s why I have a Victory and not a Harley. I will try that tomorrow. I can’t make it any worse.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the top of the helicoil is a tab that the insertion tool grabs in a slot. You turn it and the coil threads in. When you reverse it, pressure causes that tab to break, and the slotted tool removes it. Unfortunately, my bike was on its side and the piece dropped inside the oil reservoir. It’s about 1/2 the thickness of a metal clothes hanger, and about 1/3” long. I can’t get a magnet inside; the bend is too tight. I can’t get a camera inside; same problem. I’ve flushed it several times with regular oil and Marvel Mystery Oil, and strained the oil as it drained. No luck. Someone said to remove the timing cover. I have poor mechanical ability; that’s why I have a Victory and not a Harley. I will try that tomorrow. I can’t make it any worse.
The shop that did this is closed for a week for vacation.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Have you run the bike? Timing cover probably wont get you any joy and cost you the gasket there. Have you run the bike? You said you drained the oil. But if you run it a few minutes it may make oil splash around and carry it to drain.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you run the bike? Timing cover probably wont get you any joy and cost you the gasket there. Have you run the bike? You said you drained the oil. But if you run it a few minutes it may make oil splash around and carry it to drain.
I have not. I’ve been afraid to do so for fear of damaging something.
try fishing though the oil fill hole it is bigger
i tried but couldn’t get down very far. Running it now to see if I can move it down to the plug.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First of all using the broken tang you showed as a example or a new oil, confirm it is magnetic metal. If it is, get a GOOD Magnetic Oil Drain plug (there are cheap weak magnet ones, you want Good or Better) that most closely matches the orginal drain plug. If your walking into auto Part stores, you might want to take in the orginal for a visual guide for anyone helping you. This is actually a great long term investment to grab future metal wear fragments.

You might want to also get a magnetic pick up tool while your there that will fit into the fill hole, you might want to take the fill plug with you or micrometer it's measurements first. You can stick it in and idle the motor, see if it picks it up as last resort.

If else fails, see if there is a place to JB Weld a larger magnet (like those use to hold signs, antennas or such on a car) to the oil pan. Not only will this possibly grab this piece, but will also help trigger turn signals at stoplights.

Okay, that's it for my Out of the Box suggestions. Best of luck to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts