Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please verify the socket is 14mm for the axle for a 2004 Vegas? I did some research and I believe this is the size but before I buy anything I'd like to verify it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
Can someone please verify the socket is 14mm for the axle for a 2004 Vegas? I did some research and I believe this is the size but before I buy anything I'd like to verify it.

Thanks in advance.
14mm on my 2010 Vegas.
Need to verify just grab a 14mm bolt head and see if it fits in.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Before you go and buy an expensive 14 mm Allen wrench or Allen wrench socket, be aware that you can use the appropriate size threaded rod coupling nut instead. Half the coupling nut fits inside the axle and the other half hangs out to be turned by a socket that you undoubtedly already have. This is a $2 fix instead of a lot more for an allen wrench. In addition, you can easily use a torque wrench on the socket that is turning the coupling nut whereas you can't really use a torque wrench with an Allen wrench unless you get the Allen wrench socket.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Before you go and buy an expensive 14 mm Allen wrench or Allen wrench socket, be aware that you can use the appropriate size threaded rod coupling nut instead. Half the coupling nut fits inside the axle and the other half hangs out to be turned by a socket that you undoubtedly already have. This is a $2 fix instead of a lot more for an allen wrench. In addition, you can easily use a torque wrench on the socket that is turning the coupling nut whereas you can't really use a torque wrench with an Allen wrench unless you get the Allen wrench socket.

G'day,

Vinish

Yep. When pulling my front end apart yesterday it was oh **** time, I don't have that size Allen wrench. My buddy looked around and there on the lift was a long drift I had used for something else. It had a 6 sided flat portion cut into the handle. He popped it in the axle and it was just a hair small but it did the job.

There you go.

Dan

·
Registered
150 Posts
14 mm on my 03, so should be the same. I bought a set at Harbor Freight for under $30 that have held up just fine.

·
Premium Member
8,844 Posts
I just bought the one good quality 14mm Allen key socket 1/2" drive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts