Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at these plugs and from what I have learned I think She is running rich.
But She pops alot at idle when up to temp and between shifts which I believe is a lean condition.:crzy:
Shes a 2010 CC stock except for Nascar6 mufflers. At least I think the ECU is stock.Cant find a fuel controller and the air filter is def stock papper.
Any and all opinions welcome.

Front

Rear

·
13,254 Posts
Yup Rich
What do you mean pops at idel. Do you mean a big rumble.
Your IAV idel air valve might be off. What are RPM's does it idel at.
Dealer could hook to computer to see whats what.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Disconnect O² sensors. Your bike's running too lean at idle. Also practice not slamming the throttle closed on shifts - try to slowly release the throttle instead of an abrupt close. Given your setup, these two will not eliminate the popping, but they will greatly reduce it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yup Rich
What do you mean pops at idel. Do you mean a big rumble.
Your IAV idel air valve might be off. What are RPM's does it idel at.
Dealer could hook to computer to see whats what.
She idels aroud 900-1000. The sound is more a puff sound. but I think too much.
I'll look up the valve and see if I can find it.
Thanks for the idea.
Ken.

edit: The valve is connected and the hose looks almost new. No sign of wear or melting or cracking.
Gonna unplug the sensors and see what that does.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disconnect O² sensors. Your bike's running too lean at idle. Also practice not slamming the throttle closed on shifts - try to slowly release the throttle instead of an abrupt close. Given your setup, these two will not eliminate the popping, but they will greatly reduce it.
Believe me, I try not to slam the throttle cause Wifey's helmet slams into the back of mine when I do that crap:mad:

It doesn't happen all the time so I may be doing it without thinking.
Im still trying to get used to letting the rpm's get around 3000 before I upshift. Totally different than the old Roadstar.

I'll unplug them and see how She runs. After I check the air valve. Just thought it was already rich enough.
Thanks for the help.
Ken.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
... I'll unplug them and see how She runs. After I check the air valve. Just thought it was already rich enough.
Might be rich at certain RPM, but it's too lean at idle.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I slamming the throttle shot when i have chick on the back, boobies are soft lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
83 Posts
An after market fuel manager like Lloyd's or power commander pc v would solve all your issues. My 08 JP had an intermittent spit while idling after it was fully warm. Installed a power commander pc 3 and it idled nice and smooth. Also had more throttle responce. My plugs looked the same way as yours.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Might be rich at certain RPM, but it's too lean at idle.
CR, agree with possible lean but what about a minor exhaust leak??? He does say stock minus nascar6 mufflers which means something could have been loosend during the install. I have heard that a leak from the cans to the muffs can also cause a minor popping.

damaterman - as for your rich plug, I hate to ask this question BUT what fuel you running? 87, 89 93??? Im sure someone is going think I think octane solves everything but I believe it is ONE of many factors in a correct burn now that I have been edumencateded...

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
CR, agree with possible lean but what about a minor exhaust leak??? He does say stock minus nascar6 mufflers which means something could have been loosend during the install. I have heard that a leak from the cans to the muffs can also cause a minor popping.
Possibly. But the ECM is programmed to keep the bike at the extremest lean limit, which means popping will occur even if pipes were still stock. If disconnecting the Oxygen sensors fixes the popping, it also eliminates an exhaust leak as the suspect. And the disconnect is also the easiest alternative.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Possibly. But the ECM is programmed to keep the bike at the extremest lean limit, which means popping will occur even if pipes were still stock. If disconnecting the Oxygen sensors fixes the popping, it also eliminates an exhaust leak as the suspect. And the disconnect is also the easiest alternative.
Very good! Now I just learned something for when I upgrade! hehe:D Which if my dealer has anything to say it is Oct 27th from what he told my neighbor..cheers "Pappa needs a new Vision!"

Damaterman - I had one more question for ya. When you said your trying to shift at 3K, I was wondering if you might be inadverntaly lugging the engine on your next higher gear with too low RPMs after the shift? Could this contribute to the plugs being fouled yet having a lean condition for the popping? Im not sure but was curious as to you low side after your shift.

·
Registered
470 Posts
there is a certain way to read plugs correctly too. i don't remember exactly from my hot rod days, but i think it goes something like running at cruise rpm and shutting the engine down, then checking. extended idle before checking will read false.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

damaterman - as for your rich plug, I hate to ask this question BUT what fuel you running? 87, 89 93??? Im sure someone is going think I think octane solves everything but I believe it is ONE of many factors in a correct burn now that I have been edumencateded...
I use 93 as per the book and what I've read here.
I'll check for exhaust leaks this evening.
And pick up some new plugs. Dont know how long those have been in there.
Ken.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there is a certain way to read plugs correctly too. i don't remember exactly from my hot rod days, but i think it goes something like running at cruise rpm and shutting the engine down, then checking. extended idle before checking will read false.
I've heard something like that to but I'm not to keen on pulling plugs on a hot aluminum engine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very good! Now I just learned something for when I upgrade! hehe:D Which if my dealer has anything to say it is Oct 27th from what he told my neighbor..cheers "Pappa needs a new Vision!"

Damaterman - I had one more question for ya. When you said your trying to shift at 3K, I was wondering if you might be inadverntaly lugging the engine on your next higher gear with too low RPMs after the shift? Could this contribute to the plugs being fouled yet having a lean condition for the popping? Im not sure but was curious as to you low side after your shift.
Usually when I upshift at 3000 the next gear is running around 2200. Dont tell me thats low cause it sounds like its winding pretty high.
upshifting as the book says the RPMs are about 2200 low end and 2800 high end.
I only hear sluggish engine sounds below 2000.

I disconnected the sensors and the idel popping is gone. As said before tho if I let the throttle go while downshifting I will still get a pop. So Im trying to learn to feather it out on the downshift.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Personally. That is how I like to see a Vic plug looking. I'll say this yet again, and am confident it will once more fall on deaf ears, but I like beating my head against a wall

THE POPPING HAS LITTLE IF ANYTHING TO DO WITH MIXTURE. IT HAPPENS BECAUSE VICTORY CHOOSE TO USE THE IAC IN SUCH A WAY; THAT IT ACTS LIKE AN AIR PUMP. THE IAC GOING WIDE OPEN AGAINST A SHUT THROTTLE IS WHAT CAUSES 99% OF THE POPPING. EXHAUST LEAKS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE REST

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Funny you should mention that KevinX, I was just on lloyds site checking out his little iac control valve and wondering if that would fix my little noise problem.

AND STOP YELLING AT THE NEWBs. :ltr:Freekin learnin curves.

I understand the popping is normal but unnoticed with the quiet stock pipes. But it aint cool when your showin it off and its soundin like crap.

I dont care about HP. I would however like to have the AFR where it should be and everything else should fall into place. That requires a Dyno and someone who knows what they are doing.Plus a good chunk of cash.

Being a newby I dont know you but from all the reading I've done your opinion is respected here. So I'm all ears my Friend.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts