Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, a member sent me a PM asking about the luggage rack that I have on my Jackpot. I told him that it was from Outlaw Chrome and I told him that I did not follow the prescribed mounting method. He asked me for the method that I used and, rather than digging up all of the info, I told him that I had done a review on the product with details of my installation along with accompanying pictures. I provided him with the link to the review which happens to be on another website. In his reply, he told me that the link I provided him was blocked because it was a competing site. I think it is highly inappropriate for the people running this site to monitor private messages between members. I was not promoting another website, I was simply providing a fellow Vic rider with some helpful information.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
So, a member sent me a PM asking about the luggage rack that I have on my Jackpot. I told him that it was from Outlaw Chrome and I told him that I did not follow the prescribed mounting method. He asked me for the method that I used and, rather than digging up all of the info, I told him that I had done a review on the product with details of my installation along with accompanying pictures. I provided him with the link to the review which happens to be on another website. In his reply, he told me that the link I provided him was blocked because it was a competing site. I think it is highly inappropriate for the people running this site to monitor private messages between members. I was not promoting another website, I was simply providing a fellow Vic rider with some helpful information.
Are you serious?????
Did this really happen????
Are PM's being monitored too?????

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
You guys are too funny. Yes, the forum has your phone line tapped. The forum is the matrix. :ltr:

Certain words are bad words. They automatically get changed to "****."

·
Registered
851 Posts
Before passing judgment against the monitors just remember that you can setup rules that would automatically strip any address on any post or message. Just because your message was modified doesn't necessarily mean that the monitors are reading your private messages.

That being said, although I agree that private messages should be just that...private; you are on the Internet. If you believe ANYTHING you post or e-mail is private you are extremely naive. To the best of my knowledge, this is a private forum. EVERYTHING you put on the forum, be it post or message, belongs to the forum owner. Not saying that I believe that is the way it should be, just the way it is.

In the future, I'd exchange e-mails. You are still not completely private, but you have a LITTLE bit more control of your message. Of course that person could then forward it to others or post it on a forum themselves.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
C'Mon guys, Even if the system did block a website with ****, there are number of VERY easy ways around this kind of stuff like...go to THE CLUB and thread titled "skdfj hdsfk"

or henry'sDOTcom that would not get censored. Seems like too easy a work around to get feathers ruffled to me

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
Shankyboy and I are actually personal friends. We talked after he posted this message and I explained to him that we do not access PM's. It is the way the PM's are set up.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You just ran into the word censor is all. Admins can set any word to be censored, such as competing website names if they wish.

And no, PM's are not actually "private", especially on vBulletin boards. The Admin has the ABILITY to read any and all messages sent, IF they choose to elect this option in the software. Now DO they?? I have no idea, but it is an option, and it is available on all forum BB software.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
I can assure everyone that I don't access and I don't even know how to access members PM's. They are PRIVATE MESSAGES and to me they are not my business unless they are sent to me!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts