1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
42 Posts
I live about 45+/- miles north of the old Indian plant in Gilroy, Ca.

I was saddened to see Indian’s recent demise but am equally happy to see Polaris pick it up.

I’m curious to see how much cross-pollination occurs from Victory to Indian?

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
I live about 45+/- miles north of the old Indian plant in Gilroy, Ca.

I was saddened to see Indian’s recent demise but am equally happy to see Polaris pick it up.

I’m curious to see how much cross-pollination occurs from Victory to Indian?
+1

I'm betting they keep the Indian look and concentrate on making the engine/trans/suspension/performance/electrics on par with Victory.

If nothing else it says loudly that Polaris is in the road bike business to stay.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dunno I hope it doesn't dilute the Victory brand. I don't want to see cross models with just different names. Keep Indian unique to it's origins, improve the model line up and well honestly I just don't get it. They have a plan I guess.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Cost of living just went up around here with the new millionaires in the area.. (only about 20 miles away from Kings Mountain).

Look like "high-end" Kingpins to me so they are beauties. Think exclusivity beyond Harley. Legacy of the Original American bike even before Harley. Victory is buying them only 3 years after production has re-started. Who knows, the Victory name could even be replaced entirely...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading some more articles this morning here is my hope. Ideally they use Indian as the nostalgic bikes with some more modern tech and Victory continues to build and design forward thinking modern day cruisers.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I meant it more for those who want to upgrade to a newer Victory/Indian that yesterday was worth X dollars and is now worth X-20% due to brand dilution and confusion. Similar to when a car manufacturer kills an under performing brand. New vehicles are not investments but you can make a smarter purchase knowing a vehicle depreciates at a slower rate than a similar motorcycle from another brand.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I meant it more for those who want to upgrade to a newer Victory/Indian that yesterday was worth X dollars and is now worth X-20% due to brand dilution and confusion. Similar to when a car manufacturer kills an under performing brand. New vehicles are not investments but you can make a smarter purchase knowing a vehicle depreciates at a slower rate than a similar motorcycle from another brand.
Bought my Victory a week ago today. Doesn't change anything for me.

I still will have a hard time sourcing aftermarket stuffs for it. Should have looked into THAT before I bought it...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Very interesting.
I'm guessing that they do the right thing for both brands.
If not, I still have a great bike, and can trade it in for an Indian if I should fall in lust
with a bike beyond my KP.

So, whaddya think? a 120 inch motor on a classic style, Ness influenced (?), full fendered Chief with all the modern tech of a cross bike?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bought my Victory a week ago today. Doesn't change anything for me.

I still will have a hard time sourcing aftermarket stuffs for it. Should have looked into THAT before I bought it...
Lots of stuff for Vics out there jenks. Most of it IS online mailorder but there are lots of sites for you to cruise and drool over! LOL.

www.victoryonly.com
www.psychomotive.com
www.mbwmotorcycle.com
www.kewlmetalstore.com

Just to name a few! Lots more out there too.
Good luck and enjoy the new ride! thumb up

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I don't think there will be any "brand dilution" in this one. Indian only makes ONE bike since they re-started the business in '09, the Chief. They make a number of variations, but they are all the same "core". I seems like a 1-4-1 replacement of the Victory Kingpin, that's all really. All the rest of the Victory bikes would not be "diluted" by the Indian Brand and since there is only one Indian bike, it won't be impacted by anything other than the Kingpin market and it will be an "upgrade" (The Cheif DOES start priced about twice what a Kingpin sells for).

I did learn from both the Victory and Indian dealers that the engines will be the Victory motor and that all production is moving "up north".

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think there will be any "brand dilution" in this one. Indian only makes ONE bike since they re-started the business in '09, the Chief. They make a number of variations, but they are all the same "core". I seems like a 1-4-1 replacement of the Victory Kingpin, that's all really. All the rest of the Victory bikes would not be "diluted" by the Indian Brand and since there is only one Indian bike, it won't be impacted by anything other than the Kingpin market and it will be an "upgrade" (The Cheif DOES start priced about twice what a Kingpin sells for).

I did learn from both the Victory and Indian dealers that the engines will be the Victory motor and that all production is moving "up north".

According to the news articles there will be no engine from Victory in the Indian. They are going to clean sheet design new Indian motorcycles for release in 2 years while continuing the current line up with tweaks for better sales. These will be maintained as 2 separate companies with some shared location for efficiency. A Victory motor in an Indian makes it a Victory and that's exactly want they want to avoid.

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
According to the news articles there will be no engine from Victory in the Indian. They are going to clean sheet design new Indian motorcycles for release in 2 years while continuing the current line up with tweaks for better sales. These will be maintained as 2 separate companies with some shared location for efficiency. A Victory motor in an Indian makes it a Victory and that's exactly want they want to avoid.
This sounds more like what Polaris is known to do. Just look at Victory. There may be some cross over in technology and manufacturing techniques but for the most part Victory and Polaris are autonomous. No reason to think the Indian division will be treated any different. Lots to look forward to in the coming years from all of them.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
This sounds more like what Polaris is known to do. Just look at Victory. There may be some cross over in technology and manufacturing techniques but for the most part Victory and Polaris are autonomous. No reason to think the Indian division will be treated any different. Lots to look forward to in the coming years from all of them.
Sorry about the way I delivered that. The Indian engines would be built in the same factory as the Victory engines. They may (or may not) end up sharing any common parts.

·
Registered
301 Posts
FIRST THING IS I LOVE MY VICTORYS !!
BUT in daytona this year i found myself drouling over a blacked out cheif, man it sure would look good sitting in my shop right beside my vics. if my lottry numbers get pulled, im sure there will be one there.thumb up but if not ill be looking forward to seeing how this works out due to haveing my bike paid off in 2 years and will get to buy anouther one.
WHAT WILL IT BE ? VICTORY / INDIAN

it wont be a HD !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Indian rider's thoughts on Polaris buying IMC

Hello Victory riders. Obviously, Indian riders are as curious as the Victory riders about what this purchase means for our bikes in the future.
From what I've seen in the Indian world, as well as my own feelings, is that this is a great move for Polaris, Victory, and Indian. Stellican, the previous owners of Indian Motorcycles is known for buying iconic brands that are in danger of extinction, fixing the product, bringing up to a profitable status and selling it to someone who is able to maintain growth of the brand. Polaris is a strong company, Victory Motorcycles are some of the best out there. they have come a long way in a relatively short time. I couldn't think of anyone better to keep the Indian brand alive. If Polaris builds Victory and Indian as separate entities I think both brands will profit.
I'm sure HD is starting to crap themselves at the Idea of America's two best motorcycles joining forces.
my 2cents.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Polaris/Victory has a very long ways to go before they can come close to the Branding that HD has. HD has been selling more bikes then anyone else for over 50 years and it was not because their bikes were of the highest quality.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts