Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scott Wine comments on the decision to field two brands.

"It's going to be fun".

Click it

·
Registered
264 Posts
I found this quote very interesting and wonder how Victory can be #2 in the world when they only sell about 10-15 thousand bikes per year. What am I missing?

We have 59 years of experience in power sports and have built Victory Motorcycles into the No. 2 heavyweight motorcycle company in the world.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I found this quote very interesting and wonder how Victory can be #2 in the world when they only sell about 10-15 thousand bikes per year. What am I missing?
Who sells more 1700 cc bikes than Victory (besides HD)?

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
The Victory/Indian scenario reminds me of growing up the older of two boys. My parents essentially experimented on me with heavy handed discipline, but learned to ease off with my brother who was 4.5 years younger than me.
The result was a laid back, rough at the edges me, while my brother was more sophisticated. The perfect analogy for Victory coming before Indian. The road tests of the preproduction Indians always mention things like the smoother tranny, not like the clunky Victorys.
So Polaris was heavy handed with Victory, but learned to produce a kinder, gentler Indians.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Victory/Indian scenario reminds me of growing up the older of two boys. My parents essentially experimented on me with heavy handed discipline, but learned to ease off with my brother who was 4.5 years younger than me.
The result was a laid back, rough at the edges me, while my brother was more sophisticated. The perfect analogy for Victory coming before Indian. The road tests of the preproduction Indians always mention things like the smoother tranny, not like the clunky Victorys.
So Polaris was heavy handed with Victory, but learned to produce a kinder, gentler Indians.
I would say; rides more like a Harley than a Vic. Power flattens out, and the bike tends to nose over above 2200 rpms. My Vic pulls hard all the way to the rev limiter.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Bit of a different picture when all size bikes are accounted for.
True, but why get scored in a category that you're not participating in? That would be like comparing HD vs. Honda and counting cars and motorcycles. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Bit of a different picture when all size bikes are accounted for.

Yeah, since we ride large bore, air cooled bikes, I kinda figured the graph I showed was relevant.

If you want to include a bazillion mopeds and scooters sold overseas, in addition to dirt bikes sold everywhere, then yeah, Harley isn't as dominant.

For our type of bikes, there is no comparison.

Trust me, I have no inclination to conclude that popularity equals superiority, but we were talking #2 in the large bore, air cooled croozer world. Polaris is by no means the 2nd most popular manufacturer of 2 wheeled motorized vehicles.

How you like'n your Honda?

·
Registered
355 Posts
its going to be fun. that's hilarious! its not cocky, its confidence.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nearly every time I mention I bought a new bike... The question is always... "What kind?" I say cruiser or bagger... Get the puzzled look from them so I continue by adding its a Victory Cross Country. 90% of the time the response is "why didn't you buy a Harley?" I then proceed to give them the same puzzled look... :confused: :p

·
Registered
477 Posts
Interesting story, I'm more of a fan of the modern Victory styling than the old Indian heritage stuff so I like the idea of separating the brands with their own individual brand styling ideas.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
I have always enjoyed that Victory dances to its own tune and has original designs.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Many of the non-motorcycle people I run into have heard of Polaris. Almost zero have heard of Victory. Hell, even many of the riders on sport bikes and smaller cruiser are in the same boat. Pretty sad when you consider they've been around for over 15 years. The iPad has been around for less time. Polaris needs to take some basic lessons in marketing from HD and put even a little bit of effort into it or their position in the charts will never change. As the same time, pay attention to fit and finish. I liken a Victory to a Russian fighter aircraft. Lots of good stuff in the basics and gets the job done really well. The details and finer points? Not so much.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I would think Honda for one. Most people don't even know what Victory is so I just find it hard to believe they are #2 in the world. Most of the world hasn't even heard of the brand.
Assuming Saddlebag's post is from year 2013 or 14 it would be correct.

Honda only produces one bike that's over 1400cc and that's the GoldWing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
But you can't make pie charts without data and Polaris doesn't release proprietary sales figures so there's no way to put a number there. I think? As a publicly traded corp they would have to release sales figures based on dollar volume (10Q & K reports) so maybe the data is based on that.

Honda has 2 other models with 1800 but they might as well be Goldwings.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts