Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm assuming since they burned the bridge with Victory riders and everyone else who rides saw it; they want to focus on those who don't know their history of quitting mid-stream.

AIMExpo. CEO’s of Harley-Davidson and Polaris Offered Keynote Addresses Focusing On New Riders

Polaris CEO Scott Wine began his address by describing how much Polaris has achieved until now. But he is very realistic regarding current market condition: a very tough challenging environment, political polarization since the presidential campaign, weather-related disasters in Texas, Louisiana, Florida and South Carolina, Scott Wine also called for campaigns to attract new riders, increasing the number of dealers, and offering to bikers technological innovation. He would like customers to be able to design their motorcycles online, offering basic design options via smartphones, tablets and computers at home or via screens installed in dealerships. Polaris is also contemplating and evaluating Slingshot rentals and as a sharing vehicle in big cities.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
So far, Scott Wine has proved himself to be a buffoon where it comes to marketing. If he wasn't, Victory would be alive and well with new performance oriented models. Like he said he was going to do.

·
13,263 Posts
It does make you wonder how many thousand victory riders there are will they jump ship. No not over there but to indian.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Good luck. Most new riders tend to go for the sub 1,000cc range and normally won't run out and pay 22-38k for a bike.

Maybe the Scout could reel a few in but that's about it. Sportsters will outsell those all day, plus the HD street bikes that are in that range.

With injun you get a Scout or a 114.

Dumbasses.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Polaris needs to focus on keeping their remaining customers happy or they are going to go the way of the dinosaur. Their off road division is not any better given all the complaints about issues with them as well.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
All motorcycle companies are focusing on "new riders" now.....Motorcycle sales are in the toilet and no one can figure out how to market to the Gen-Retards.

But not being one to just leave a problem without a solution....I offer this: Stick a cell-phone on the dash. :|

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
My first thought when I read this thread title was: "because they now realize the 10's of 1,000's of Victory owners they rear ended won't run into a Polaris Indian dealer happy to trade in their orphan for a future Polaris orphan?"

What morons.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
My first thought when I read this thread title was: "because they now realize the 10's of 1,000's of Victory owners they rear ended won't run into a Polaris Indian dealer happy to trade in their orphan for a future Polaris orphan?"

What morons.
Exactly. Screw me once and I'm done. I won't darken the doorway of anyone selling Polaris with the intention of spending money there and most Victory owners I talk to say the same thing.

Scott Wine is a liar and a cheatin' dog. They kept us on the hook with the promise of performance cruisers... yeah, right.

Here's what these suits don't get... the nostalgia market is dying. If you wanna attract the new riders you need something attractive to new riders. If you wanna attract the motorcycle enthusiast you need to have performance and features that the enthusiast is looking for at a price he will be comfortable with.

I'm the enthusiast type, but I'm not about to cough up $25,000 for a motorcycle. That's car pricing.

The only manufacturer that's leaning toward a bike I would buy is HD, but man they are getting expensive... plus they need a couple of years to get this new stuff sorted out. HOWEVER... a new mono-shock bike with a factory 4-valve 114? Yeah, starting to speak my language...

How about the capabilities, performance, and utility features of a sport-tourer... combined with styling that sets new standards of "COOL" by mixing nostalgic and modern? Sell it naked but with the docking hardware to slip on a touring fairing, café fairing, or a few different shield styles.... at the rear slip on some side cases, various passenger accommodations, and even tour packs. Of course, the accessories need to be reasonably priced... not like an Indian tour pack at $2500.

A bike that can be many different bikes... buy it naked/solo/cheap and make it into your vision of what it should be... or leave it naked.

Never mind, no one would want that.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Good luck. Most new riders tend to go for the sub 1,000cc range and normally won't run out and pay 22-38k for a bike.

Maybe the Scout could reel a few in but that's about it. Sportsters will outsell those all day, plus the HD street bikes that are in that range.

With injun you get a Scout or a 114.

Dumbasses.

Agreed. If they want to stay alive they need a bike like the steel frame Vic.

·
13,263 Posts
What IF. polaris brought victory back. What would they need to change to get you to buy one. More horse power like 125 horse navigation system better headlight and stereo better paint. All this for 23K. Would you run out and buy one. I'm think a hole lot of guys would for give and forget the past.

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What IF. polaris brought victory back. What would they need to change to get you to buy one. More horse power like 125 horse navigation system better headlight and stereo better paint. All this for 23K. Would you run out and buy one. I'm think a hole lot of guys would for give and forget the past.
Since Scott Wine has taken responsibility for shutting down Victory; I'd need to see him let go from the company. I wouldn't care about what he got for severance but would need to know his bad judgment was no longer a factor at Polaris.

This is a pipe dream though. They are not going to admit their mistake in closing Victory. According to their bean counters, and that's all they really care about, Victory didn't work out for them even though the deck was stacked against it once they bought the Indian name. It was their baby too. Their invention. Built one of the best production bikes ever then just shut it down like it was nothing.

They didn't even have the decency to scale down to just a few of their top selling Victory's or offer to sell the company and tooling. Maybe Victory is too intertwined within Polaris for them to sell it; I dunno but I do know bike companies are bought and sold all the time. Look at HD being sold to UMF back in 1970 then bought back in 1980. The exact time and date may be off a little but that's when it showed up in the bikes and the lower quality control until one of the Davidson grandkids bought it back with some help and got it back on track.

The point is it didn't go out of business. Simply changed hands for a while. Polaris could have done that but chose not to.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Type o

Bbob, UMF was actually AMF, like bowling balls, tennis balls, ha, ha. I know typing error. Use to know a guy that was the "president" or general manager of one of their plants out in southern California years ago when I live there for a few years. He was actually a good friend of a friend. He told myself and some of my friends he could get us a really good deal on a new Harley back then. Sad to say we turned him down. When I think back I should have gotten one of the cafe Sportsters. What was it an AMF XR1200? Came with a small cafe fairing. They did not sell a lot and now they are worth something I guess. Back then they were known to break down on the way hone from dealership. I heard that story a few times. Recently heard MVAgusta shut down also. Sad to hear, cool bikes.

Reactions: BBob

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
All I know is that if my XR was totaled tomorrow I would first look for a used or left over new XR or XC. If that wasn't an option then I would be looking hard at BMW, not completely my style but the company and bikes are solid.

Reactions: MonsterMash

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
I was 3/4 through a reply a few posts back and my phone rang from a mate whos car I'm painting this week after the repairs I did earlier.
Consequently I lost my post!
All my wisdom down the chute....
Anyway it boiled down to "I got my Victory and Im not in the market for a new bike, happy with the one I got "
There was more but its gone.
Victory aint coming back.
Face facts.....its history now.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
I'm thinking a modern classic that's going to be an affordable entry/mid/experienced level bike for years to come are just about every Victory steel frame bike plus the Cross Roads.

A Cross Roads with hard bags, mag wheels and a windshield just keeps peaking my interest. What an awesome motorcycle for just about every rider, old and new. Not too heavy, plenty of storage, a great engine and drivetrain plus aesthetics that will look fresh for many years to come.

Then again putting Cross bike saddlebags on a steel frame Victory can also be an exceptionally well balanced package.

With Victory prices hitting the floor, they could become more and more sought after as some new riders come into the hobby. For less than the price of a new H-D Sporty (skirtster), a new rider could have a man sized Victory.

Reactions: whooshbang

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Possibly Yamaha is doing the most for attracting new riders. Obviously the new big touring bike is not for a new rider. But they have some pretty sharp looking entry bikes in the 6-900cc range.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm thinking a modern classic that's going to be an affordable entry/mid/experienced level bike for years to come are just about every Victory steel frame bike plus the Cross Roads.

A Cross Roads with hard bags, mag wheels and a windshield just keeps peaking my interest. What an awesome motorcycle for just about every rider, old and new. Not too heavy, plenty of storage, a great engine and drivetrain plus aesthetics that will look fresh for many years to come.

Couldn't agree more! The cross roads is next on the list. I love the hammer but she ain't no touring machine, 200 miles and i'm broken man! Good for a local blast out with lots of coffee stops though. But the XR has all the styling of the hammer and some.... it's the only bagger that's not to far thrown from the hammer. The hardball comes close but they are super rare in the UK.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts

How is a XR "not to heavy" it is just 20 pounds or so lighter than the XC and IMO not for an entry level rider no more than a XC is. An entry level bike is more like 500 pounds or less (depending on rider height).

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How is a XR "not to heavy" it is just 20 pounds or so lighter than the XC and IMO not for an entry level rider no more than a XC is. An entry level bike is more like 500 pounds or less (depending on rider height).
Good point. Weight wise it wouldn't be considered a good first bike.

However, the dang things handle so well and feel so light, that within a short amount a time even someone with just a couple of months on a lighter bike would feel right at home on an XR if they have the aptitude for riding. Those who do have the natural aptitude could, within say 3 months or sooner, feel right at home on an XR if rode on dirt bikes growing up.

We all know some people who have the desire but will never have what it takes to be a good rider on even the lightest bikes. I see them pass through my area often enough. I live in a drive through area for millions of riders every year off Rt 66. Chances are they are not very good car drivers.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts