Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
It's time for another rant on Polaris for stopping production on Victory. Polaris you suck and will for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
704 Posts
How long in this rather huge downturn in large touring motorcycle sales will Polaris will wait before dropping Indian?

#NeverIndian

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
Yep, they made the best production motorcycle ever made in the USA, then just shut it down.

I get that they stopped making a profit after 2014 so in 2016 they made the decision to stop production in Jan 2017. What I don't get is why they didn't try different approaches to marketing. What they were doing wasn't working. Then again they did have market forces working against them. Big bike sales in America has steadily been going down as baby boomers age out of the riding scene. In a way I can see why they did it but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Without motivating younger people to ride; this will continue across the board.

Another factor is less people are retiring with those golden parachute retirements which means less disposable income for things they might consider toys like bikes and sports cars.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I guess I missed the part where all your bikes stopped working when they decided to shutdown the brand.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Really think their strategy backfired...I didn’t see any victory riders go out and trade in their bikes for Indians. I also didn’t see a surge in Indian motorcycles....my dealer, after getting screwed, is still servicing victory bikes but isn’t switching to Indians. He is just selling used bikes now (all brands).

Two years later, I still think they made a huge mistake by closing down the victory line. About the only bike that had a chance of attracting the younger crowd was Victory......

Rant over!

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
My dealer also still services Victorys and was approached to take on Indian. He refused because they wanted him to build a separate building and outfit it to their specifications. Over a million bucks that he doesn't have and add to that, he's pissed at Polaris for pulling the rug out from under him with no warning, even after telling him of all the great plans they had for Victory.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
my local dealer still goes under the banner Victory-Indian.
Im pissed at Foolaris but hey I got my Vic
Tradeoff for bulk power from big bore is a little oil usage,
but hey for the grunt this has I can cop it sweet and add a little oil now and then.
Also possibly lack of total cleanliness in the honing process, but it is what it is.
and I'm happy.
:devil

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
My dealer also still services Victorys and was approached to take on Indian. He refused because they wanted him to build a separate building and outfit it to their specifications. Over a million bucks that he doesn't have and add to that, he's pissed at Polaris for pulling the rug out from under him with no warning, even after telling him of all the great plans they had for Victory.
He couldn't have gotten a warning before anyone else, because Polaris is a publicly-held company. Still sucks, tho.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm looking to buy a 2015 Gunner. Will I still be able to get parts for it? For how long? What about accessories? I'm just worried about buying a bike that's not made anymore.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Parts and service is as easy as it was when Victory was still in production. Accessories are another issue. Whatever you find, buy it asap before someone else does. The Gunner is an excellent motorcycle and many, many parts and accessories from other steel frame models work on them as well.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Polaris was sending me advertisements on Indians and sling shoots for awhile. But I guess they gave up on me, which they should have. Don't know if I could ever buy anything made by Polaris again. Do any of you guys get anything from them anymore?

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Yeah, got a couple of parts out from the US via my Victory/Indian dealer in Brisbane.
For my 2010 XC , the shifter mounting block and bolt from a 2013 model so I could fit the 2013 gearshift lever I got on ebay from a bike wrecker in Dubbo Aust.
Woulda bought the rest from the wrecker but they didnt have the mounting hardware I needed.
It updates the crappy design of the 2010 models hex shaft, to a proper pivot, Shifting is much improved.
Parts were available and shipped out fast and surprisingly fairly cheap.

·
Registered
39 Posts
#204 11 months ago (Edited)

Yep, they made the best production motorcycle ever made in the USA, then just shut it down.

I get that they stopped making a profit after 2014 so in 2016 they made the decision to stop production in Jan 2017. What I don't get is why they didn't try different approaches to marketing. What they were doing wasn't working. Then again they did have market forces working against them. Big bike sales in America has steadily been going down as baby boomers age out of the riding scene.

In a way I can see why they did it but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Another factor is less people are retiring with those golden parachute retirements which means less disposable income for things they might consider toys like bikes and sports cars.

All true especially in Bold .. Another thing is after 2012 did not really see any upgrades or changes that interested me .. I know some love their Magnum but the 21 inch wheel and the Lower Rear did nothing for me would have been far more interested in seeing Engine Upgrades, TPMS , Blue Tooth and a Screen like Ride Command .. Basically for almost 5 years Polaris did nothing except add a Larger Diameter Front Wheel and a Fancy Paint Scheme that didn't strike my fancy ..

·
Registered
12,249 Posts
Too true. One thing that can work and will work is for us experienced riders to corrupt, er I mean encourage younger family members by taking them on rides and showing them how to use tools by having them over when you are doing bike maintenance. I began doing that over 25 years ago and now I have a granddaughter in her mid 30s who has her own bike. Now I'm doing that with a couple great grandkids who are 10 and 13. I started on them over 3 years ago. They both enjoy - even beg for - rides on the Spyder and have helped with projects on it. The 13 y.o. is a girl and she took to working with tools so well that she takes shop courses in school. I also taught a niece to ride and she has had her own bike for years.
If I can do that, so can you. There's a huge industry out there relying on us. Get those kids off their phones and take them out there to see the surrounding world and interact with people. They'll learn how exhilarating riding is and that riders are a fun bunch of people to be around.

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Too true. One thing that can work and will work is for us experienced riders to corrupt, er I mean encourage younger family members by taking them on rides and showing them how to use tools by having them over when you are doing bike maintenance. I began doing that over 25 years ago and now I have a granddaughter in her mid 30s who has her own bike. Now I'm doing that with a couple great grandkids who are 10 and 13. I started on them over 3 years ago. They both enjoy - even beg for - rides on the Spyder and have helped with projects on it. The 13 y.o. is a girl and she took to working with tools so well that she takes shop courses in school. I also taught a niece to ride and she has had her own bike for years.
If I can do that, so can you. There's a huge industry out there relying on us. Get those kids off their phones and take them out there to see the surrounding world and interact with people. They'll learn how exhilarating riding is and that riders are a fun bunch of people to be around.
I use to take my daughter and all 5 of my grandkids and two exchange students on rides. A uncle put the riding bug into me back in the 50's and early 60's.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Young people can't afford a big expensive bike. I agree that the old days with pensions probably did lead to more disposable income for retirees.

20ish years the motorcycle industry been declining in sales. Not sure when that will change.

I started later (29) because money doesn't grow on trees and didn't have cash to throw into a random hobby. I still don't see me ever buying a bike for more than $10k and used. I don't contribute to new motorcycle sales and I think the used market has probably been a factor in the industry. So many great running used bikes out there.

201 - 219 of 219 Posts