1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
This is a good read.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Was a good read, but after watching polaris stock for the last week, not sure what is going on. Either everyone thinks the economy is going to tank next year, or polaris is in trouble, or ???

Maybe they spent too much money on the paint factory, the electric bike brand acquisition, building the Alabama plant...

All the money they spent must have affected their financials for dividends and projected profits.

It is great to see them investing in the USA, however stock market investors apparently are not seeing it right now...

I had read that victory sales are down, I am guessing we will see them focus more on Indian and slingshot in the upcoming year(s).

This would explain the lackluster 2016 lineup I had seen people on here discussing.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Was a good read, but after watching polaris stock for the last week, not sure what is going on. Either everyone thinks the economy is going to tank next year, or polaris is in trouble, or ???

Maybe they spent too much money on the paint factory, the electric bike brand acquisition, building the Alabama plant...

All the money they spent must have affected their financials for dividends and projected profits.

It is great to see them investing in the USA, however stock market investors apparently are not seeing it right now...

I had read that victory sales are down, I am guessing we will see them focus more on Indian and slingshot in the upcoming year(s).

This would explain the lackluster 2016 lineup I had seen people on here discussing.
Click on the 3-year and the downward slide.

·
13,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
after reading the articual it sounds like maybe a big horse power water cooled motor.
Look how many of us are doing cams and we all know that a water cooled motor would give us more power right off the bat.
Like Harley water cooled heads motor is to get there customers prepared for whats to come.
We are riding stone age motors and the foreign manufacturers all ready have big power

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Like Harley water cooled heads motor is to get there customers prepared for whats to come.
We are riding stone age motors and the foreign manufacturers all ready have big power
We DO NOT want water-cooled motors like Harley. Don't get me wrong, it would be great but HD's Rushmore motor is a time bomb that is gonna cost the MoCo hundreds of million of dinero when they are forced to fix the recalls and eat the R&D costs.

That motor is a walking talking service bulletin. You know that the water pump is electric right? That in itself isn't a problem but its woefully short of any any capacity to pump. Ideally if you source a pump you want 25-30% more capacity from the pump than you need. It's a safety valve, as the seals wear on the pump you lose efficiency, the extra capacity makes up for it.

The radiators are in the lowers, all that heat dump is going on YOU! Wow! that's just what I want, hot air dumped on me.

Lets hope Victory does it right when or if it's time to watercool the beast.

As far as stone age motors, that is exactly why I ride it. It's my transportation. I ride it every day, rain, cold, hot, whatever she gets lit every freaking day. I know she's a stone age motor, but she's as simple and reliable as a stone hammer. One drain plug, a couple of spark plugs, belt tension every blue moon, lube the suspension pin at rear tire change and fork oil that's pretty much it for PM(preventative maintenance). I'm sure I missed a couple of small things but the one thing that's not there is a valve adjustment.

You want to pay me to do it, that's fine, however the valves on a BMW K1600GT/L are an 8-10 hour job at 120$ an hour. That's just labor, the total is generally around 1500$ and the interval is around 26,000 miles. That's when the computer tells you it's due.

How about the Kawasaki 1400 Concours. 24,000 miles is the interval and its a 10 hour "book time" job. Again right around 120$ an hour is the going rate here in Phoenix. You have to disassemble the entire top half of the motorcycle to get the valve cover off. No thanks, been there, got the scars on my hands.

Both are fine motorcycles, but the amount of miles I put on means I have to either do the work or absorb the cost every 12-18 months. I'm cheap I hate paying for that.

I bought a Victory to avoid all that. Sure I'm giving up a lot of performance but I still have a high performance triple in the garage for those days I feel a bit rowdy. Do I want or would I like to see more performance out of my 106? Hell yes! But not at the cost of reliability or simplicity. I've added the fueler, modified the pipes and have a high flow air filter and the timing wheel so I've done a few things. Someday I'll add the touring cams, for sure. I'll stop after that. Until then, be careful what you wish for. I'll just keep riding mine and smiling all the way.

Reactions: BenD

·
Registered
569 Posts
The indian scout motor is liquid cooled and has been pretty solid, you cant blame or hold back Polaris because of Harley's failures.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
The indian scout motor is liquid cooled and has been pretty solid, you cant blame or hold back Polaris because of Harley's failures.
I don't know why anything Victory is compared to everything Harley maybe someday Vic fan boys can stand on their own without putting down another bike manufacturer. Gets old enough already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts