Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Spirit Lake)--Polaris Industries expects to hire 300 more people at its plant in Spirit Lake due to strong sales of Indian motorcycles. The plant, which does final assembly of the motorcycles, already employs more than 700.

According to the Des Moines Register, the Minneapolis-based company is hiring because it is expanding its Indian line of motorcycles to include the lighter, less-expensive Scout. Polaris revived the Indian brand of motorcycles in 2013 with three models.

Polaris' Steve Menneto said the company is confident there will be strong demand for the revived Scout model, which should be available later this year starting at just under $11,000.

The original Scout motorcycles were one of Indian's most popular models. It was made beginning in 1920, and the U.S. Army used 30,000 of them during World War II.

http://kilrradio.com/pages/polaris-planning-to-add-300-jobs-at-spirit-lake-plant

http://www.startribune.com/business/171826311.html

http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2014/08/20/fast-motorcycle-industry-news-167/

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
This from the "Where the rubber hits the road file".

300 jobs is proof positive of the impact that the Indian product line is having, not just on motorcycling but on Polaris' net. 300 is almost a 50% increase in peeps. That's a personnel investment of millions per annum and there will be a capital investment in facilities and equipment that more than doubles that. Any motorsport manufacturer considering those kinds of expenditures is looking at some damn fine projections and chafing at the bit for more.

Who doesn't benefit? Well, elsewhere on this forum is an ongoing thread about multi line dealers giving up Vic due to lack of sales. You can sugarcoat this if it helps you sleep at night but numbers and a series of telling corporate decisions don't lie. Polaris is a corp and turning a corp is like turning a battleship. They don't turn easy but the direction is clear. How many jobs are they adding to the Victory line? If you owned Vic as one of your divisions and it was competing with a similar division for the same dollar in R&D, advertising, dealer acquisition and customer base how much of your money would you put in to keep it solvent when you had what amounted to a surefire winner on your hands in the other division? I'm not talking about the love of the machine guiding your hand. I'm talking about decisions about use of capital in a fickle business that demands you strike while the iron is hot. I'm talking about the dollar your investors give you with the understanding that you are going to grow it for yourself and them.

Whether Vic is dissolved or sold or absorbed or continues to suffer death by a thousand cuts is a subject of discussion in Polaris central I'm sure, but you can bet it's a discussion they are having. If not the whole BOD needs to be replaced with responsible fiscal managers.

·
Premium Member
8,789 Posts
a pleasant change to all the 'axings' going on everywhere else!
Gonna be an Indian Summer

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Could be very well true for Victory. Polaris is in the business of making money and if Victory does not turn good profits than it will go away. If Indian and Victory make money than that maybe a different story.

I love my two Victories and that is good enough for me.

However I do travel a lot and the number of Victories I see is impressive. XC are very popular, highballs and Vegas are not far behind. Only seen two XR, two judges, one Boardwalk and no Gunners. So not surprised that Victory has cut models that don't move well.

Also have seen a far amount Victory TV spots in the last month.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I wish they'd open a Vic facility here in Va!

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I think Indian died 3 times...

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Victory...15 years and sales are still growing. Indian....new kid on the block and many checking him out and taking him home. But what happens if Indian meets up with a saturation point and will there be one? How many more are going to buy an Indian? Decades of buyers or a few years? Anyhoo, just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
It always bodes well when companies with sense are hiring. The jobs are out there. My remodeling business is booming. I really think that the job market has shifted. As well as the way peoples thinking needs to be shifted. If your looking for a job and you've been out of work a long time it's probably not going to happen. Change you way of looking at It and create your own job. It can be done.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Victory...15 years and sales are still growing. Indian....new kid on the block and many checking him out and taking him home. But what happens if Indian meets up with a saturation point and will there be one? How many more are going to buy an Indian? Decades of buyers or a few years? Anyhoo, just my thoughts.
The same could be said about HD. However, one could theorize that they are starting to reach this point already.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
The same could be said about HD. However, one could theorize that they are starting to reach this point already.
There are still a bunch of 14 Harleys sitting around showrooms in my area. I can remember when they used to hang sold signs on them as they came off the delivery trucks.

As to Vic, last quarter it shrank 6.something percent.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I wonder how many potential Vic owners went to Indian.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Harley along with other companies have a aging problem as a lot of their buyers with enough disposable income to afford a new Harley are getting in their 60s and are no longer able to ride on 2 wheels. As the target market ages the need to adapt or die, hench the trike market expanding. Harley came out with the Street bikes to try to entice the younger riders to buy a Harley but if you have seen these bikes the fit and finish along with cable and wiring management is crap at best. Indian is building the Scout which is going to be a better buy then the Street or Sportster in quality and rideability and is aimed at entry level and women riders is fine but do they think a dude who rides nothing but Harleys is going to let his wife ride anything but a HD ? I like the Scout much better and may be the next bike for the wife.
In the years to come there is going to be a flood of used Harleys coming up for sale as the older riders and their estates sell off their bikes it should drive the price down of used bikes so why would many consider buying a new one?

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
fordwrench, the H-D Street bikes were brought out to primarily capture sales in the burgeoning Pakistan, India and China markets where bikes are primary transportation. IMO, H-D needed an intro bike and one for its rider training programs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts