Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some purists are going to hate it but...

From http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/04/21/design/polaris-registers-design-liquid-cooled-victory/

Polaris Industries has registered a design patent with the European Union for what appears to be a new liquid-cooled Victory motorcycle.

The design sketches, registered and published through the EU’s Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (OHIM), reveal a single-seat cruiser with a liquid-cooled V-Twin engine. The overall aesthetic is very much a Victory, with stacked twin slash-cut exhausts and bobbed fenders similar to the Vegas 8-Ball.
The fuel tank has a blockier design than current Victory models, while twin shocks handle rear suspension duties, a unique design for a Victory.

The design registration only covers the motorcycle’s appearance. We won’t know any technical details until Polaris releases official information about the new liquid-cooled model.

There’s also no indication about a possible model name, though it should be noted Polaris has filed for trademarks with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for the names “Fatty“, “Magnum” and “Rogue“, one of which may end up being used for this new liquid-cooled model.

So now I've started TWO controversial threads today wac

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hmm, the knee scallops in the tank have me intrigued.

The single front disk would be a step backwards though.
Maybe on the bulkier crossroads...the judge is still single up front. Has all the grip I need.

I think its rad. Onward and upward right? Now if they abandoned the victory looks all together it would be a shame. But (bearing in mind the tank isn't what they got the patent on and could just be a concept) i like the new "look".

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Ill stick with my Vegas thanks, not knocking the WC but hey Im satisfied.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I've heard through Victory Head Office management that the rumour is this will be a 1200cc size engine.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Its news to me and I think this is great! Ive been wishing for a lighter smaller nimbler bike with liquid cooling. A nice revvy liquid cooled engine @1200cc could make a ton of steam thumb up
Cant wait to see it. Probably a 2016 model though.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
I've heard through Victory Head Office management that the rumour is this will be a 1200cc size engine.
And I've also just been told that something is going to be announced or revieled this weekend in the USA........

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its news to me and I think this is great! Ive been wishing for a lighter smaller nimbler bike with liquid cooling. A nice revvy liquid cooled engine @1200cc could make a ton of steam thumb up
Cant wait to see it. Probably a 2016 model though.
Personally I'm with you. If I was going to buy a second bike I'd be hard pressed to choose between the Gunner and the V-Rod. If Victory had a bike that directly competes with the V-rod it would be a no brainier.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Personally I'm with you. If I was going to buy a second bike I'd be hard pressed to choose between the Gunner and the V-Rod. If Victory had a bike that directly competes with the V-rod it would be a no brainier.
That ain't much of a comparison.

The Gunner is a fun little, torquey, easy handling, low priced, low maintenance cruiser. The V-rod is a high strung, high maintenance, high priced, high resistance to turning, with a high temperature exhaust laying right in the path of human legs when mounted on footpegs.

That said, I think the V-rod engine, brakes, and suspension are considerably better than the Gunner's and it looks great. Just not packaged right for my tastes and the simplicity of a Gunner is very appealing.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Maybe on the bulkier crossroads...the judge is still single up front. Has all the grip I need.
To each their own I guess. I'd rather have way too much brake and have the option to control it with the lever, then potentially not enough. My SV weighs a fraction of what the Judge weighs, still has dual disks and frankly, even those brakes suck compared to the dual disks and radial calipers on some of my other bikes.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I like a V-ROD. with the right exhaust not to many bikes sound better. Lots a fun to ride.

·
Registered
566 Posts

The Gunner is a fun little, torquey, easy handling, low priced, low maintenance cruiser. The V-rod is a high strung, high maintenance, high priced, high resistance to turning, with a high temperature exhaust laying right in the path of human legs when mounted on footpegs.

That said, I think the V-rod engine, brakes, and suspension are considerably better than the Gunner's and it looks great. Just not packaged right for my tastes and the simplicity of a Gunner is very appealing.
None of these are anything but "little". The gunner weighs in north of 600 lbs, not any lighter than my hammer really. So what if they worked on the suspension and tires to make it handle better, fine, but it's still a big heavy arse bike that you're not gonna fling around like you would a smaller shorter wheel base bike. I push my hammer pretty darn hard, and it's a fun bike, it's just a lot of bike to deal with, especially in tight turns. I may have my hopes up too high, but if this new bike comes in near 500lb, isn't stupid long like the current vic cruiser line and makes good power, then it really has the potential to be flickable, great handling, powerful bike that is a class leader and a real blast to run hard! That's what i'm hoping for. :)

I just hope it's not another Yamaha Bolt or Harley Sportster, which might be what they are after based on that sketch.
Time will tell.

·
Registered
295 Posts

I owned a V-rod, and I now own a Gunner. I agree with everything SB said, and will confirm everything except the high temp. If wasn't anywhere near as bad as a HD 103. The V-rod engine is a nice piece. It does need a sixth gear, and a real world chassis. The V-rod is way too
long and low, plus the rear tire does really hamper handling. The Gunner is a much simpler bike, and since neither bike is really all that functional, the Gunner makes a lot more sense as a "second" bike!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I owned a V-rod, and I now own a Gunner. I agree with everything SB said, and will confirm everything except the high temp.
Yeah, not the engine, just the heat from the pipe, the way it routes so close to my leg. I have short legs. I've read that people who have longer legs can put a little distance in between. Not me, my leg lays right on it like an egg on a skillet.

·
Registered
837 Posts
None of these are anything but "little". The gunner weighs in north of 600 lbs, not any lighter than my hammer really. So what if they worked on the suspension and tires to make it handle better, fine, but it's still a big heavy arse bike that you're not gonna fling around like you would a smaller shorter wheel base bike. I push my hammer pretty darn hard, and it's a fun bike, it's just a lot of bike to deal with, especially in tight turns. I may have my hopes up too high, but if this new bike comes in near 500lb, isn't stupid long like the current vic cruiser line and makes good power, then it really has the potential to be flickable, great handling, powerful bike that is a class leader and a real blast to run hard! That's what i'm hoping for. :)

I just hope it's not another Yamaha Bolt or Harley Sportster, which might be what they are after based on that sketch.
Time will tell.

Quick question---Have you been on a Gunner, yet? I owned a King Pin and rode the Gunner back in Daytonna--- while they maybe have the same engine and chassis--- they had nothing in common when it came to rideability. The Gunner is very nimble and easy to throw around. It was the closest thing to a sport bike that I have ever ridden. YMMV thumb up

1 - 20 of 29 Posts