Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went and visited the folks at Volusia Motorsports this weekend with some harley riding buds. They enjoyed the hospitality and free lunch and spent an hour in the dealership checking out all the bikes. The staff were all friendly and on hand to answer all their questions. A very nice experience. Then we rode 1/4 mile up the road to a HD dealership. A sales rep approached me and said what bike do you want to ride home today? Then he asked me what I rode. I had on my Victory hat and Victory shirt and just looked at him. Finally after 3 to 5 sec's of a stare down I said really? He said that HD was the only American motorcycle and then went on to say that Victory was a Canadian company. I should be riding a Harley the only American bike. My buddies just looked at this guy then looked at me and new what was going to happen next. :D

I just looked at him and said "guys like you are the reason I never desired to own a Harley besides the fact that they are slow, overpriced, and un engineered motorcylces that handle like ****. I believe you are mistaking Polaris for Bombardier the Canadian Co." Plus our accessory parts are made in house like our bikes in the USA and not shipped from Tiawan." We all left together and my buds were pissed at this guys attitude. One of them said "way to defend my man" Then I realized that all I did was bring myself down to his level but it felt good anyway.
So I have to ask ! :crzy:
Is Polaris a Canadian company? I kept asking myself all weekend.
So I have to ask. Is it? No where on the Polaris site does it say where they started from .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the laugh! Those are the reasons I chose Victory as well.

It's started in Minnesota in the 50's. I guess to someone from Florida, Minnesota might as well be Canada??

At the end of the day, that guy didn't know bikes, or what he was talking about. If he had to ask what kind of bike you rode with that gear on, he's probably not the shaprest knife in the drawer, to boot.

The scary part is wondering how many other walked into that place and took that nonsense as fact.

cheers

·
Registered
679 Posts
Nice post, but you better check your facts before saying
"Plus our accessory parts are made in house like our bikes in the USA and not shipped from Tiawan." :( Most of the accessories i have purchased from my XC from victory have come from china

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
"Plus our accessory parts are made in house like our bikes in the USA and not shipped from Tiawan." :( Most of the accessories i have purchased from my XC from victory have come from china
Yet another product of the bean counters. :mad:

Its hard to blame companies though with the price of labor overseas, companies like weathertech are on the extreme side of american made, using american made equipment to built their production facilities as well as local sorced material cheers

·
13,263 Posts
YA You Bet Ya

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yea the Jacket I bought was made in China.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Its hard to blame companies though with the price of labor overseas,
If you're an investor yes, if you're an American no. For what they charge for their goodies they can afford to use well compensated American labor.

Of course when we have to pay the CEO $7+ million with another $23+ million of stock options annually, I can see why it's critical to screw American labor.

What the hell, at least I like Chinese food...

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
If you're an investor yes, if you're an American no. For what they charge for their goodies they can afford to use well compensated American labor.

Of course when we have to pay the CEO $7+ million with another $23+ million of stock options annually, I can see why it's critical to screw American labor.

I mean, when your accountants say they can save you 40% in production costs by switching suppliers, its hard to say no, especially when the larger comanies are not even all american owned or if they do have public stock offerings.

Myself though, yes If I started my own company, I would pay extra to have labor/material done in the US, however I would be marketing my stuff to China asap to get some of that money back into this economy! :D

Didnt mean to hijack your thread tho slickvic! My wife loves HD gear and I myself wear HD boots (Damn good pair of boots if I do say so) plus alot of the local biker stuff is hosted by the big HD dealer down the road, so I am there every once in awhile and last time I was there, I was approached by a salesman and asked what I ride. I said a Vic XCT and he said, "You looking to upgrade?" I replied "I dont see any upgrades here, I might find something more comfy and roomy with the performance I like at the Caddy dealer down the street though"

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
My wife loves HD gear and I myself wear HD boots (Damn good pair of boots if I do say so) plus a lot of the local biker stuff is hosted by the big HD dealer down the road, so I am there every once in awhile...
I like HD gear (in general) as well but even HD gear can be "hit or miss". I have owned a pair of $100 boots that were marked down to $45 at the end of the season a couple years back. They are water proof, the zipper works well with no binding and the leather has "worn in" nicely. A buddy of mine recently bought a Harley and decided he wanted some boots like mine but wasn't able to find any. But he HAD to have something with the Harley name on it. You know the kind of guy...The more HD labels, the better...LOL In any case, he bought their "top of the line" new boot that was not discounted. There were plenty of alternative HD boots that were also on closeout this year but he wanted "only the best". He called me from the road the other day to tell me that his boots weren't even waterproof? He said "Who sells a boot for $250 that isn;t even waterproof?" To which I said..."take them back. I am certain they will work with you" (very good HD dealership). He said..."naw, I'll just put some mink oil on them..." :crzy:

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I like HD gear (in general) as well but even HD gear can be "hit or miss".
I saw a guy on a Sportster at the gas station earlier today in a one piece Aerostich type of riding suit with a big Harley logo on the back. Typical Harley guys around here wear t-shirts and bandanas as safety gear. He's the first I've seen wearing a suit like that.

The only Harley gear I've ever purchased was some electric gloves and they worked very well and lasted about two years. When the heating elements break they're thru. It's nearly impossible to find the break and sewing them back together properly requires more talent than I possess.

·
Registered
693 Posts
FYI, "Chinese" food doesn't exist in China. It's an American invention! Ha ha! You'll find mainly Cantonese or Szechuan in China. :)

As for the OP, as has been stated, Polaris owns Victory and was started in Roseau, MN. Now...in the guy's defense, the Canadian border is literally a 15 minute drive straight north on 310. :) They're now based in Medina, MN which is about 20 miles west of downtown Minneapolis. The bikes themselves are manufactured in Spirit Lake, IA which is just south of the MN border about 15 miles if I recall right.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I mean, when your accountants say they can save you 40% in production costs by switching suppliers, its hard to say no, especially when the larger comanies are not even all american owned or if they do have public stock offerings.

Myself though, yes If I started my own company, I would pay extra to have labor/material done in the US, however I would be marketing my stuff to China asap to get some of that money back into this economy! :D

Didnt mean to hijack your thread tho slickvic! My wife loves HD gear and I myself wear HD boots (Damn good pair of boots if I do say so) plus alot of the local biker stuff is hosted by the big HD dealer down the road, so I am there every once in awhile and last time I was there, I was approached by a salesman and asked what I ride. I said a Vic XCT and he said, "You looking to upgrade?" I replied "I dont see any upgrades here, I might find something more comfy and roomy with the performance I like at the Caddy dealer down the street though"

Good answer. :ltr: :ltr: :ltr:, cheers

·
Registered
520 Posts
It's guys like him that sent me running to Victory! When asked to compare the Vic to the Harley, the best these sales schmoes can come up with is "well it's not a Harley". My response "duh no ****"!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
FYI, "Chinese" food doesn't exist in China. It's an American invention! Ha ha! You'll find mainly Cantonese or Szechuan in China. :)
I'm aware. When I was in grad school a group of Chinese students adopted the lone white boy and asked my wife and I out to dinner with them. It was a lot of fun. There was an authentic Chinese place south of town where they liked to eat. Everyone bought something and put it in the middle of the table and we all took a little of everything. When we were through one of the students broke out a large jug of wine and we played a Chinese version of rock, paper, scissors where whoever lost had to drink a small glass of wine.

Funny how people are so much more alike than different.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
The last ride event I went to at said HD dealer, the local HOG group was doing all the directing bikes and lining them up etc, and when I pulled up into the line and parked the guy directing people where to park said "Thats a beautiful bike, dont see many of those around here". Real motorcycle guys appreciate a bike whatever the make, I like to have my fun with the HD guys but its the people who are so stuck in a rut that anything other than their brand is "garbage" that make me laugh and shake my head. I got asked once at a HD dealer in TX by a couple guys there if it bothers me that my wife wears HD gear on the back of my VIC and I told them "Nope, and it woudlnt bother me if she hopped into my vette wearing a shirt that said "I love ford pinto's" either" :D

I looked at harley's when I was shopping for my bike, along with kawasaki's, yamaha's, honda's, etc. I went looking for a bike that I liked, not a brand that I liked. But I still poke fun at the HD guys (Especially my neighbor I ride with alot, he has an ultra classic)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Some people confuse Polaris with SeaDoo which I own two of and they run greatthumb up

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
You should have told the fella that both Minnesota and Iowa are and have been U.S. territory - and you should have also asked where he studied Geography. :ltr:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Actually the best motorcycle shop in my neck of the woods is the local HD dealership. The people in there are great, never put down my Suzuki when I would stop by and were helpful when I was looking for my next bike. My local metric/triumph and Vic dealerships are not so good but tolerable. I new I was going to move up to a bigger bike soon and was seriously looking at a HD Street Glide and if it were not for the red tag event and a new (but very small) Vic dealer near my I may have ended up with one. I found that the HD's I sat on just felt kinda crampt and combine that with the large price and the fact everyone seems to have one led me to the Victory I have now. I went with the XR's because after test riding a XC I realized I really don't need a radio and I enjoy seeing more of the road. Also got my 2011 XR for much less than the Yamaha Stratoliner I was also looking at sealed the deal. I just wish I had a good Vic dealership near me but I can somewhat turn a wrench so no big deal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts