Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just off the phone with them, the denied warranty on my tank. Stating rust paint bodywork is not covered.

I might be repainting my pins tank unless a miracle happens.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
976 Posts
What a joke. Rusting tank on an 09 bike?

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Warranty Coverage And Exclusions:
Limitations OfWarranties And Remedies
The warranty excludes any failures that are not caused by a defect in material or workmanship. This warranty does not cover accidental damage,
normal wear and tear, abuse or improper handling. This warranty also does not cover any VICTORY Motorcycle that has been altered
structurally, modified, neglected, improperly maintained, used for racing, or used for purposes other than for which it was manufactured, or for
any damages which occur during trailer transit or as a result of unauthorized service or the use of unauthorized parts. In addition, this warranty
does not cover physical damage to paint or finish, stress cracks, tearing or puncturing of upholstery material, corrosion, or defects in parts,
components or VICTORY Motorcycle due to fire, explosions or any other cause beyond VICTORY Motorcycle Division, Polaris Sales Inc.
control.
This warranty does not cover the use of unauthorized lubricants, chemicals, or fuels that are not compatible with the VICTORY Motorcycle.
The exclusive remedy for breach of this warranty shall be, at VICTORY Motorcycle Division, Polaris Sales Inc. exclusive option, repair or
replacement of any defective materials, or components or products. THE REMEDIES SET FORTH IN THIS WARRANTY ARE THE ONLY
REMEDIES AVAILABLE TO ANY PERSON FOR BREACH OF THIS WARRANTY. VICTORY MOTORCYCLES DIVISION OF
POLARIS SALES INC. SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY TO ANY PERSON FOR INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL
DAMAGES OF ANY DESCRIPTION,WHETHER ARISING OUT OF EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OR ANY OTHER
CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, OR OTHER TORT OR OTHERWISE. Some states do not permit the exclusion or limitation of incidental or
consequential damages or implied warranties, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you if inconsistent with controlling state

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm real sorry for your troubles. What I don't get is why they suck for not fixing what they never claimed they would. In fact, specifically said that would not cover it. When I read my extended warranty, I was glad it was free. I sure didn't want to pay extra.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well considering this is obviously an issue from the factory, why should I pay for it.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
If there is no visible damage to the paint , yet it is bubbling from underneath , such as poor surface prep from the factory, and "Polaristar" does not cover it.... They Suck! PERIOD.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I agree. Bubbling from underneath with no stone chip or anything should be covered.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ty, at least on not the only that thinks this. Waiting on ma vic to get back to me on this issue.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I suppose I missed something. I didn't realize the paint was bubbling and rust from underneath. That does suck and seems it would have to be a factory issue. I hope the best for you.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
Well considering this is obviously an issue from the factory, why should I pay for it.
NJ8BALL, do you use or have you used a bike cover? What you're describing is caused by moisture that gets trapped under a cover, as temperature fluctuates, water vapor penetrates the paint. Most motorcycle cover manufacturers claim their cover will not cause this, but one should still remove the cover every now and then to prevent this. Living in higher humidity environments further increases the chance for paint bubbling and eventually showing rust marks.

If I were you, I'd start looking at custom tank paint job ideas, or if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, get some Rust-Oleum spray, and have fun for under $50. ;)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't use a cover. I was thinking of repaint myself. My brother just bought a new paint gun. Been noticing a nice ford color with sparklies lol. It's just a shame having to repaint a 4 year old bike, think this is why I like buying used lol.

About repaint, i thought the clear coat would need to be baked especially the tank because of fuel spills. Is that true or don't it matter?

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
NJ , do not spill fuel on a non factory paint job , at all cost ....

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I realize that, but I noticed some nozzles blast the fuel out no matter how gingerly you squeeze the handle. Obviously causing the "splash" to land on the sacred tank... Repainted tanks I have seen or used myself don't take kindly to even the minimalist amount of splash and quickly dulls the paint.... Repaint is just never going to be as hard a finish as factory , and react negatively to any kind of petroleum distillates .

·
Registered
28 Posts
I realize that, but I noticed some nozzles blast the fuel out no matter how gingerly you squeeze the handle. Obviously causing the "splash" to land on the sacred tank... Repainted tanks I have seen or used myself don't take kindly to even the minimalist amount of splash and quickly dulls the paint.... Repaint is just never going to be as hard a finish as factory , and react negatively to any kind of petroleum distillates .
Well apparently the factory finish isnt worth a damn either.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Well apparently the factory finish isnt worth a damn either.
Good point , I was merely helping him with an earlier question... But yes , he is not the only one with factory paint complaints.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I had my VTX tank painted and the seam removed under it (ugly) for $330. Done by an auto paint shop. This was done 7 yrs ago and that paint looks great today. I was lucky though as my neighbor owned the shop and I had to wait for him to have a black car in the booth. That kept the mixing and paint cost down so I just really paid for prep and seam removal. Point is go talk to some body shops and strike a deal. It doesn't look like Polaris is budging on this one.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Off topic I know, but….

I have a black 2013 XCT. The paint on this thing is as soft as peanut butter in the sun. The bike is only 7 months old and already the paint is full of small scratches, swirls, and a couple of big scratches down to the primer. Also had a bubble lift on the trunk lid, dealer replaced the whole lid without question.

I had no problems with the paint on the previous Imperial Blue XC in 2 years and 25,000 miles.

What’s worse is the bugs… I ran into a patch of love bugs last Saturday afternoon. I didn’t get home until dark:30, so I washed the bike the next morning. The bug guts had already etched or stained the paint in less than 16 hours. I spent a few hours on just the fairing with rubbing compound and elbow grease… but very little improvement. I have never seen paint on any vehicle so easily damaged.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts