Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like so many before me I got a touch of burnt plastic on my pipes. I tried to polish the hell out of it but didn't have any luck. Some people suggest 0000 steel wool and others swear against it.

Any suggestions? There are a couple marks. Each are as big (or smaller) than a pencil eraser. (There is no chance the marks I am seeing are from the chrome coming off, right?)

And there are couple of light marks that need a stronger polish than what I have - any suggestions?

((Finally, wash, polish then wax? Or no need to polish then wax?))

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I once had the whole inside right leg of my nylon rain suit melt and bake onto my exhaust. It stunk in a bad way when I reached my destination. When I got home, after protecting the rest of my bike from any overspray...I would spray easy off oven cleaner...let it soak for about 30 minutes and scrape it with my finger nail or a flat screwdriver tip covered with a microfiber towel. After repeating the process about 8-9 times it all came off eventually with no harm to my chrome exhaust. Then took chrome polish and polished area. I did it over a weekend while enjoying some cold adult beverages and some company of fellow riders and friends.

You may be done after first attempt if it is that small.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When the pipes are still hot from riding I always used very fine steelwool and I've had good luck removing anything that had melted on my pipes. So far I haven't had any adverse effects from doing so but I've never had to rub very hard to remove whatever was on the pipe.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Regular or heavy duty oven cleaner?
I used Heavy Duty...not saying its the best way...just saying that is what I did.
Good Luck to you and let us know what the outcome is on what ever method you decide to use.

·
Registered
35 Posts
wood shims

I had a girl melt a heel onto my pipes the first time i rode with them, i ran into some guys and they asked me why i still had the rubber on my pipes and i told them cause i didnt know what to use to get it off. They told me to get the pipes hot up to runing temp and take a wood shim cause its not a sharp edge and will not scratch your pipes and scrap the mark off and it worked like a champ best advice i have gotten since i owned the bike. hopefully you get your marks off

·
Registered
91 Posts
Try the Mr Clean majic eraser. it works mircales and will not scuff or scratch your pipes, but will get off boot burn.

·
Registered
91 Posts
For any other cleaning details, look at chopperdetailing.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used the COLD Easy-Off, soaked a rag with it, and layed it on the pipe overnight. Next day with very fine steel wool, pipe came clean with no damage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts