Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to polish my brake and hyd clutch reservoirs on my handlebars. Witchdoctors used to do the service but has stopped. Has anyone here done it and have any tips for getting the powder coat off?? Any tips or advice appreciated.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bead blast the powder coat off.

Going to need to sand it in stages down a glass smooth surface. More than likely a dremel will be needed for the tight spots.

Sand in a straight line and when you get to the finer grits, soak the sandpaper in water so it wont clog with metal.

A polish wheel with rouge and back to the dremel for the tight spots.

The smoother you sand and the longer you run it on the buffer the higher the finish quality.

Just in case, I want to point out the obvious, it will not be a 'chrome' luster. If that is what you are looking for you will need to send it off to have it chromed.

There are a ton of videos on youtube showing how to polish metal. It doesnt take any real skill, just some time and patience.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Everything he said. Polishing stuff is a major PITA, not because it's hard but because you have to be very patient and keep at it.

Whatever you do, MAKE SURE that you sand away all the scratches from the previous grade of sandpaper before moving on to the next (ie, use 800 to remove all the scratches from the 600 before moving on to 1000)

While you will eventually get there skipping grades of paper or not getting all the previous scratches smoothed, it will take you a whole lot longer if you try to rush it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts