Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

What Colors Do You See?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What color do you see in this dress? I see blue and black.

What your brain really sees when it looks at ‘the dress’: A neuroscientist explains

By James Rogers
Published February 27, 2015FoxNews.com

What colors do you see? (Tumblr/user swiked)

It’s the question on everyone’s lips – just what color is that dress? White and gold or blue and black? Well, we know what Kim Kardashian thinks. Now it’s science’s turn to enter the Internet battle raging over the actual color of a 21-year old Scottish woman’s dress.
So, why do people see different colors in the dress?
Bevil Conway, associate professor of neuroscience at Wellesley College, told FoxNews.com that the dress plays on core aspects of brain science.
“This dress was very carefully crafted, either by accident or design, for a combination of colors that doesn’t resolve unambiguously,” he said.
Our brains and visual systems don’t want to deal with ambiguity and uncertainty in what they are seeing, according to Conway, so our brains do backflips to “make it sensible.”

·
Registered
347 Posts
White and Gold here, too.. Is this one of those "Screws with the TV color" .. ?? .. combos, which drive people batty?

I don't know.. Being psychoanalyzed by Kim Kardashian's dress.. Holy Cow, what rabbit hole will we travel down next? :D .. cheers .. :ltr:

Have a Great Weekend, Peeps!

·
Registered
139 Posts
If it isn't rumpled on the floor at the foot of the bed at the end of the night I don't care what colour it is

Oh .... And she better be a 10 in a 0 too ;)

Mike

·
Registered
347 Posts
Isn't it crazy how we can all look at the same exact thing and see something entirely different!?
I might have to stand on my head and have some dude kick me in the ear to see black and blue.. White and gold no matter how I look at the thing..

Quickly showed this to the Wife...

"What Color is that dress?" I says..
"Black and Blue" says, she..

Typical :ltr: ... But she don't get a vote, 'cause she don't ride :D .. cheers

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
I might have to stand on my head and have some dude kick me in the ear to see black and blue.. White and gold no matter how I look at the thing..

Quickly showed this to the Wife...

"What Color is that dress?" I says..
"Black and Blue" says, she..

Typical :ltr: ... But she don't get a vote, 'cause she don't ride :D .. cheers

My wife said the same thing, Black and Blue. I think the dress is white and gold. The white is a cool white (read bluish end of the spectrum). I definitely don't see any thing black....

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
Where is the white??? I am getting confused... So the dress isn't blue and charcoal? Are you guys fuckin with me... Seriously what colour is this thing?

·
Premium Member
13,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As seen on America's Newsroom

It seems like everyone in the world has weighed in on the dress. So much that the #TheDress has been trending worldwide for much of the last day.
After a woman in Scotland posted the picture on social media, a debate of sorts broke out. Some people saw the colors as black and blue, while others were adamant that the dress was white and gold.
The actual dress is black and blue, but the way that the light reflected led to different perceptions of the colors.
Dr. Marc Siegel explained this morning why everyone is seeing this dress differently.
He said the blue light reflecting off the black and blue dress is what causes the confusion in a person's mind.
Siegel said it all comes down to basic biology from seventh grade.
"It's the old rods and cones. We've only got 2 percent cones that look for blue. As we get older, we don't see blue as well and we need amplifiers to see blue. So we can be fooled by the light coming in and miss blue and see it as something else," he said.
"It's not a hoax or an optical illusion, it is straight science."
Watch the full explanation above.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Science - schmience.. "What goes up must come down" .. :rolleyes: .. "Rods and scones" and assorted mystical whatnot ... :crzy: ..Just plain-old Witchery is what that is!

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Very interesting. Still see the dress as white gold though.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
"It's the old rods and cones. We've only got 2 percent cones that look for blue. As we get older, we don't see blue as well and we need amplifiers to see blue.
Well I don't know. I saw the colors in the middle dress. Not really a good blue or black. I figured seeing it differently was probably more a case of color blindness. A lot of men suffer from this. I learned I had red/green color blindness at the MEPs physical. The tester told me, but let me slide when he found out my MOS, which required the ability to distinguish colors. It's not like I can't tell red from green, it's just that certain shades when blended together to make a pattern that most people can see, looks like a blur of reds and greens to me.

There are lots of tricks are eyes play on us. It's how illusionists make a living.

I went to an avionics seminar once where the speaker was talking about our peripheral vision. Our brain fills in most of it. And all of the color. To prove it, he had lights of different colors on the side of the room. He turned the overhead lights off and asked that we looked straight ahead and use our peripheral vision to tell him the color of the light on the side of the room he had turned on. They all looked white to everyone until we turned their heads far enough to face it.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
All 3 photos look black and blue...only colors that look good on a woman. :D I'm kidding...just kidding fellas, my ole lady aint black n blue.

Seriously though, no matter which pic I look at, all I see is black and blue. Different shades of black and blue but don't see and cant see how anybody else sees any other color :confused:

·
Premium Member
13,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seriously though, no matter which pic I look at, all I see is black and blue. Different shades of black and blue but don't see and cant see how anybody else sees any other color :confused:
Seriously? Even in the picture below you can't see the white and gold?

I see the middle one in the original picture but with a bit more blue and black in it but not as vivid as the one on the right.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
black and blue, whatever tricks its playing on us i guess it being posted has helped sales

1 - 20 of 22 Posts