Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,075 Posts
Those intolerant Motherfuckers need to DIE! LOL LOL LOL!
See were doing GREAT, we're turning this thread around, ok I go find a vstorm now
Hahahahhah

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Super Moderator
4,967 Posts
I punched out the muffler on my VStrom, doesn't have quite the rumble as the Vic :D

·
Registered
742 Posts
Well I was trying to be funny but there's an element of truth - loud pipes are the one topic that seems to be the most polarizing of the biker community, with the quite crowd being extremely vocal in their distaste for the other viewpoint, while I really don't see "loud-pipers" caring if someone else's pipes are not loud. Yeah I know, personal space, noise pollution, blah blah, so fall back or speed ahead if you don't like it but don't think for a second that you're going to influence what I choose to do, much less dictate it, you can take that attitude down the road.

·
Premium Member
6,075 Posts
I punched out the muffler on my VStrom, doesn't have quite the rumble as the Vic :D
Hi guys, a bit off track, but speaking of Honda's, I'm looking for a front fender on my Hammer front wheel the tire is 160/60ZR18 but the OD of this tire is 650mm or 25 1/2 inch

So I can't find the OD for the Honda shadow VT600 tires .... If this fits or SAME RADIUS..... I would be a happy man.... Then I can paint it into a Jackpot design for a Hammer front fork & rim....

Honda Shadow VT600 VLX 600 front fender....

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
So, another age old debate; loud pipes. We may as well be debating the Second Amendment. Like the aforementioned Amendment, loud pipes are a for or against argument and rarely is there any middle ground. In full disclosure I have thrush modded mufflers on my Cross Country and I was concerned they would be too loud but like the baby bear's porridge of Goldilocks fame they seem to be just right.

I've seen a number of posts here and on that societal indicator we call Facebook where a new proud adopter of a Victory motorcycle proclaims that it's too quiet and what's a good way to make some noise. Now I fully admit I'm so tight I squeak when I walk, so the thought of paying a thousand dollars or more for an exhaust system bothers me greatly. I also understand that just because you're making noise doesn't necessarily mean you're making horsepower. The truth is you could be losing horsepower but this isn't a debate about exhaust proficiency but about decibels. There are a number of Cities here in Arizona and across this great Nation that have seen fit to enact exhaust noise restrictions. That's not just because of us the motorcyclists I assure you, the kids in the pocket rockets with the fart can mufflers helped speed those restrictions on down that highway. Oh, by the way, a can of expanding foam sealant and about three feet of of vinyl hose up the tailpipe will stop that kid from raising hell down your street at three in the morning. I may or may not have some personal knowledge about that.

I read the T-shirts, the bumper stickers, I hear and read the opinions smattered across the Internet and parking lots of motorcycle dealers and meeting spots and I wonder "Do loud pipes save lives?" I've been in my truck and on my motorcycle when a loud pipe believer on his/her motorcycle goes by and I'm assaulted by the noise. It would be easy to pick on the V-Twin crowd, but the sportbike crowd is just as bad, however, a loud four cylinder sport bike sounds like a Lollapalooza cicada rave and not like a proper motorcycle. Another life saved, it's a freaking miracle!

In my more than forty years as a legally licensed motorcycle rider I've been hit, cut off, had all manner of objects thrown up and at me by all manner of wheeled conveyances. Those include cigarettes, ladders, bottles, spare tires, a whole set of trailer axles that fell of the trailer in front of me (believe me when I tell you the sound of my butthole slamming shut was deafening) mattresses, rocks bolts, etc. Not once did a loud pipe help me avoid any of that. I know they can help you when you're overtaking another vehicle but at what cost? Is the cost of pissing off John and Joan Q. Public worth it? How about we ride to be seen. Don't ride in the blindspot, try and put your headlight in a mirror so they can see you. Stop in the left hand track of the lane when you stop at a light or stop sign.

I can hear the eyeballs rolling around and my ears are burning but that's okay, it's not the first time I've been called a dumbass. In this cellphone talking, texting, movie watching, having sex while driving public we interface with on our two wheeled terror machines we gotta pay attention. It's not just the inattentive drivers that are out to kill us. There's the tire carcasses, sand in the corners, potholes, uneven pavement, oil on the road, not to mention animals running across the road, two and four legged. Don't forget WE are sometimes our own worst enemies. I've done a lot of stupid things on motorcycles. Now that I'm thinking about it maybe I'll go back to bed with my blanky and never touch a motorcycle again.

I used to be one of those that made fun of the loud bike crowd but I've softened my stance. We all have a bag of tricks we head out on the road with when we ride. If your bag includes loud pipes, so be it. Life is short. I've come to the realization that the only person I have to make happy is me(and my Wife). My bike isn't totally quiet, Spike the Cross Country barks when you get on the throttle but her voice at cruise is pretty mellow and that my friends is just right.

·
Premium Member
6,075 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,075 Posts
That big DISK could use a hypnotic wrap theme... Smile

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Or duct tape a 10 lb. ham on your shin and use it as a meat slicer.....
Conundrum: Once you slice off a piece from that 10lb ham, it's no longer a 10lb ham. Do we have to replace it after every slice?

·
Registered
12,205 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,075 Posts
I can totally see that now that you said it - but I'm getting veeery sleeepy....

Yesssss sleeeeeeep
Ha ha ha ha
That's the one

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Conundrum: Once you slice off a piece from that 10lb ham, it's no longer a 10lb ham. Do we have to replace it after every slice?
Thanks. Now I want ham.

Seriously though...I like a decent sounding exhaust that has authority. Volume is not authority, it's just volume, and anyone can be loud.

Hell, Honda Civics are loud.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Having ridden with straight drag pipes, there is a point where loud becomes annoying even to one's self. After 150 miles of hearing it, your brain may tune it out but your head takes it along when you stop. I can swear I heard my exhaust note for hours after getting off the bike. Eventually, yeah, it gets annoying. So there really is a point where it becomes too much. But, to each their own. If you can handle the louder and handle it longer, more power to you. Now as for air horns, those should be AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE! Especially with NJ drivers that believe their right of way when exiting a driveway exists as soon as they start the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Will Just say in the 4 1/2 Years and 80,000 Miles owned the 2012 XC never once thought about changing exhaust on it unless found a steal on the Same Pipes in Black .. At the time bought them Chrome was all that was available .. While the sound was a bit on th eLoud sound never ever thought of them but as a Pleasing Sound with a Deep Tone and not Obnoxious Noise which have seen on many Rides of all makes ..

·
Registered
12,205 Posts
I gotta add that loud horns save lives too. Yesterday I was on a trafficky street and a big pickup tried moving over on me and I leaned on the car horns I installed (thanks Mags) and he immediately pulled back into his lane quite embarrassed, I'm sure, cuz of the attention those horns draw. Yeah, he knew I was there, but he thought I'd move out of his way cuz he's bigger. I guess I could call 'em Karma Horns!

·
Premium Member
8,793 Posts
Yeah the mini air horn I put on the Vegas has been worthwhile many many times in alerting other road uses to my presence, sometimes a rev though my RPW's
and other times an air horn blast.
I've fitted the cheap ebay Stebel to all my cars and buying more as we speak.
Just picked up a nice Hyundai Lantra wagon for the lady,
I drove it last night and the horn is pissweak!
Rest of the cars great but, one family since new, logbook serviced, new timing belt, it's a ripper, 1800cc too!
Same cubes as the Vegas :grin

41 - 60 of 65 Posts