Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious why there aren't more polycarbonate windshields for the Victory line of bikes.

There are plenty of the casted acrylic, but I really think a polycarbonate shield is superior.

The only one I know about is the National Shield VStream...are there any others?

And finally...are there any shields out there that would fit on a MadStad bracket...I'm still on the fence about the MadStad...but I may pull the trigger on that TOMORROW (possibly). :)

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
There are plenty of the casted acrylic, but I really think a polycarbonate shield is superior.
I've had both on my XR. The stock was PC, the aftermarket acrylic. As I understand it, the PC is less apt to scratch, but if it does you can't polish it out. IIRC, it is also much stronger than acrylic which may not be such a good thing if you happen to mate with it in an accident.

Are those the areas of superiority you were thinking of, or something else? Is my understanding of the two correct?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
saddlebag...pretty much right now. But I don't understand your statement about an accident? I'd rather bounce off the thing then to have shards of plastic cutting me up...

I'm just surprised that ALL motorcycle windshields aren't made out of PC...it doesn't appear that cost is that much of a difference?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found my answer...actually, this is what MadStad says on their FAQ:

Q: Why does Madstad use Cast Acrylic instead of Polycarbonate

A: Cast acrylic is: Stiffer, more optically clear, better scratch resistance, better chemical resistance for cleaning, easier to mold, less costly, does not cloud or become hazy over time.

We use 3/16" cast acrylic to make all of our shields which provides superior durability.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
But I don't understand your statement about an accident? I'd rather bounce off the thing then to have shards of plastic cutting me up...
I think about it like hitting a brick wall vs snapping off a plastic tab before flying over the Buick's hood. When decelerating, better to do it somewhat gradually IMO.

But discounting their accident containment properties, I do think my OEM PC screen seems like it is more substantial and of better quality than my aftermarket one. Just not sure that my observation is a valid assesment. My aftermarket acyclic piece came from Cee Bailey who does aircraft windshields. I'd think they probably have a pretty good handle on plastics used in such applications.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts