Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...really this is not a mod.

Last week I went on a 2500 mile ride from Arkansas to the beaches of North Carolina (Nags Head) and into Chesapeake, VA. A great cool ride out there and COLD ASS ride coming home. In fact, on the day I started back home, the starting temps was 42 degrees and within just a few miles had dropped down to 36 degrees, but I was prepared.

I knew it was gonna be a cold ride as I have made this ride in late October for the last 6 years and most of the time the temps were pretty close to this, so I decided to tackle the COLD this year.

Before the trip, I purchased some of the HOT HANDS Body warmers with adhesive and placed them on a sweatshirt on the chest and back...then I donned a couple of shirts over that and my leather jacket. My feet never seem to get that cold, but I bought several packages of the HOT HANDS toe warmers too (they seem to get hotter than the body warmers)...and they also have adhesive one them. They claim to stay warm for 12-18 hours.

I placed six of them on my seat which gave me pretty good coverage. I'm happy to report they stayed WARM and I had toasted NUTS for the entire trip (11 hours one day and 8 hours on the coldest next day).

The seat warmers by far made the biggest impact on keeping me warm, and even getting off the bike for refueling (about 5-6 times) and leaving them exposed to the cold did not diminish the heat they put out...I will keep HOT HANDS in my saddlebags on all my cold trips from now. One caveat...you can't regulate (obviously) they are either ON the seat and warm, or they are OFF the seat and you'll have a cold, cold ass.

And finally, a strategically placed toe warmer on the seat in the front center is the perfect "toaster" for your nuts for the entire trip. AHHHHHHHH.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Your Tour didn't come with heated seats? Sounds like you could use one.....and a heated jacket.

Check out Mobile Warming for a nice battery powered heated jacket, vest, pants, or gloves. Gerbing also makes them and are very well liked. I've just never owned any to speak from experience. I've loved my Mobile Warming stuff and have plans to upgrade to their dual powered gear which can be run off a pocket battery or the bikes.

I wouldn't call it cheap but I do think it's worth it. Makes cold weather much easier to beat. I brought it last year on our Hill Country ride and we saw temps in the 40s with drizzle. I was sweating while others were frozen. I only used the hear a few times but it kept me nice and toasty.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, my 2012 was brand new when I bought it...it came with a heated seat, but I replaced it with the Ultimate Seat (3rd one I've owned on a bike)...no regrets. Yeah...a heated jacket or vest would be nice, but I usually just layer. But the Hot Hands worked pretty dang well for the seat part. I'll look at heated vests maybe sometime soon since I make this same trip every year and usually close to the same temps. Thanks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes, my 2012 was brand new when I bought it...it came with a heated seat, but I replaced it with the Ultimate Seat (3rd one I've owned on a bike)...no regrets. Yeah...a heated jacket or vest would be nice, but I usually just layer. But the Hot Hands worked pretty dang well for the seat part. I'll look at heated vests maybe sometime soon since I make this same trip every year and usually close to the same temps. Thanks.
I have a vest and jacket but like the vest best. What I like about the battery powered stuff is you can use it for anything. I wear mine fishing and pretty much anything outside in the cold. It also keeps you from needing so many layers so I don't feel bulky. I don't like that feeling.

Plus when you get off the bike you still have your heat.

·
12,983 Posts
Of course the vision comes with a heated seat. I never used it till early this spring coming home one night when it was 41 degrees. Wow what a nice feeling. I've had a heated jacket for 20 years and never take it out of the bike. It works great in the rain and cold. The best part you can twist and turn with ease with out all the bulky clothes. A person should buy heated stuff before buying a bikes and the best part is you use the bike battery for the power supply

1 - 5 of 5 Posts