Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved from Denver, CO to Austin, TX and since then my mileage has gone from 38-42 down to around 30. Do I need to have something done to adjust for altitude difference?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Sounds like it. I consistently get 40-43 depending on speeds and how long I spend on the interstate.
It may be an adjustment period, but I don't think the ECM and such are all that smart. And I have to ask, are you in to the throttle a lot with your new found HP on the bike? Round Rock may lead to some "different" riding habits due to traffic, highway speeds, etc. Still I would think it would be better. Oh yea, watch where you get gas, you are in the area that folks think E85 and E15 are a good thing. I doubt you got in to the 85 stuff but may be getting in the E15, try changing stations and see if that helps.
Any mods? Usually an EFI engine adapts pretty well to altitude changes.
It will be interesting to hear the conclusions here.
cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using the highest octane at Murphy USA and Chevron. The pumps say 10% ethanol. I have made a conscious effort to go easy on the throttle and still bad mileage. I work downtown Austin so take I35 at about 6:00am. No stop and go there and go about 70-75mph. Home, there is some stop and go but again, because of the time, not much.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Interesting. I live out SW and work downtown (Capitol) and still get my 38-42 mpg. I also come in early (6:00 - 6:30am) and leave early-ish. Mods below.

Will follow along to see if you get this figured out. Hopefully it's just a temporary glitch.

Dan

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
I am using the highest octane at Murphy USA and Chevron. The pumps say 10% ethanol. I have made a conscious effort to go easy on the throttle and still bad mileage. I work downtown Austin so take I35 at about 6:00am. No stop and go there and go about 70-75mph. Home, there is some stop and go but again, because of the time, not much.
Well 10% ethanol is 10% too much in my opinion.
Yeah sure they will run on it but your fuel mileage will suffer, as will your engine over time.
I wouldnt put that crap in a lawnmower.
my mileage can vary from a great 20 kms to the litre steady cruising which equates to (calculator out)
3.9litres to a US gallon = 80 kms= 50 mpg US
riding real hard 14 kms per litre = 55kpg = 34mpg US
normally I get 16-18 kpl

I use only Premium 98 Aus which equates to 91 US octane unleaded
with zero ethanol.

Sounds like you have a problem and its not just poor gas, is your airfilter clean?

·
Registered
784 Posts
LOL, Despite what so many think, it is very hard to find gas without corn squeezins in the US. These engines have been designed for the junk since the 1970's. Small engines like lawn mowers and such have a tough time with it. Carbs didn't always play well either, and still don't.
Unless he is getting some trashy fuel, it would seem all should be the same.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well 10% ethanol is 10% too much in my opinion.
Yeah sure they will run on it but your fuel mileage will suffer, as will your engine over time.
I wouldnt put that crap in a lawnmower.
my mileage can vary from a great 20 kms to the litre steady cruising which equates to (calculator out)
3.9litres to a US gallon = 80 kms= 50 mpg US
riding real hard 14 kms per litre = 55kpg = 34mpg US
normally I get 16-18 kpl

I use only Premium 98 Aus which equates to 91 US octane unleaded
with zero ethanol.

Sounds like you have a problem and its not just poor gas, is your airfilter clean?
funny you say that, my mower says on the gas cap that if you use ethanol gas your warranty is void:p

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
funny you say that, my mower says on the gas cap that if you use ethanol gas your warranty is void:p
Well there ya go!

and Lost in Texas no way "all should be the same" its a proven fact youll get less mpg out of ethanol blends

·
Registered
569 Posts
I would think that even ethanol wouldn't cause a drop that significant in the mileage. That said if you want to try some pure gas check one of the marinas around one of the lakes. Most of them carry "E0" for the boats.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok.
So, light came on this morning and gauge read zero at about 150mi. I made it in to work. Got on the bike and hit traffic so was at stop lights mostly for 8 miles and 40 minutes. Got to the Shell, put in 93 octane and it only too 3.9 gallons! 36mpg. I have no idea why the light and gauge said empty when there was still over a gallon left in it!! I guess, if it's really getting 36mpg I'll just put 195-200 miles on each tank and ignore the gauge and estimates on the instruments.

You know, we would return a 20,000.00 watch that didn't keep proper time.

Okay, I'm off my soap box now.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Try to get a good idea of how far you can go after the light comes on. I'll do 30 miles max. If it comes on going home I consider it time to get fuel.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you're usimg Murphy which is Walmart stay away from that crap gas and SAMs club too. You lose power and use more gas too. Stick w chevron or shell

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ok.
So, light came on this morning and gauge read zero at about 150mi. I made it in to work. Got on the bike and hit traffic so was at stop lights mostly for 8 miles and 40 minutes. Got to the Shell, put in 93 octane and it only too 3.9 gallons! 36mpg. I have no idea why the light and gauge said empty when there was still over a gallon left in it!! I guess, if it's really getting 36mpg I'll just put 195-200 miles on each tank and ignore the gauge and estimates on the instruments.

Mine does the same thing. I have yet to meet a gas gauge I trust. Most vehicles are off. Also on bikes they tend to be more conservative and give an artificial reserve.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The conservatism of the fuel gauge is probably rooted in the fact that the gas is the fuel pump coolant.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Ok.

LOL Your watch doesn't have a $450 plus labor fuel pump that tends to destroy itself when run dry. You might get away with it once or twice, but then you might not. Buy your ticket and takes your chances. It isn't rocket science and if it bothers you that bad,,,,,,,,,,,well, I don't know.
The gas gauge used to bug me too, but since I have never had or seen a really accurate one in a car or on a MC, I guess it just is.
Enjoy the area and exploring it. You have some fantastic riding just west of you.
cheers

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
If you have a smartphone, there's a free app for Android and Apple called, of all things, "Pure Gas." Check it out; it will tell you the nearest places that have ethanol-free gas.

In my neck of the woods, there are a few stations that have this, pretty close to my house, too. Most of these only have high-test without ethanol; that's fine for the XCT, but I also use that good high-test for my lawn mower, snow blower, etc., even though they technically don't require high-test. When I'm riding my XCT all season, I stop whenever I need to for gas, and don't worry about ethanol... but as the end-of-riding-season approaches, I have the last two or three tanks -- including the all-important winter tankful -- of the ethanol-free stuff (and add StarTron then, too, as I do in the containers for the power equipment).

There are a lot of threads on this and the other forum about the gas gauge. On almost everyone's XC/XCT, the warning light comes on pretty early -- that 3.9 gallons is pretty common, which means that you have, oh, 40 or so miles left before you should really start worrying. OTOH, as others have said, it may not do your fuel pump any favors to run much lower than that.

IMHO, the light should come on about where it does, but at the point the gauge is showing empty. What I think should be changed is that the gauge should read higher at that point, i.e., near the top of that last area shown, instead of near the bottom.

I always calculate my mileage using a calculator, based on topping it off about the same way each time, and doing the math. I usually get around 40 mpg, but twisting the wrist can drop things down pretty fast, especially at high speeds. Wind resistance increases at a non-linear rate, which means that it takes something like four times more HP to push through wind at double a given (non-trivial) speed (and bike/rider combinations are generally much worse than, say, cars, in terms of streamlining).

·
13,177 Posts
never believe the gauge for your mileage.
Use your phone to do the math

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ethenol gas will lower your milage but sometimes it is hard to find fuel that is not e10. Use top tier fuel only the cheap fuel will give you less milage, less power and will do more harm than the money you save to make it worth it. I am an auto mechanic and we see the problems with cheap fuel all the time. If it takes you 40 minutes to travel 8 miles you are burning a lot of fuel sitting in traffic and not going anywhere, my normal ride to work is 10 miles and it takes me 30 minuts, my fuel light comes on at 150 or before but does much better when i am just out riding and not stuck in city traffic.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts