Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a lot of popping from my new Stage 1 Swept Exhaust on deceleration and even during shifting. I took it back to the shop & they replaced the fuel pump and several seal/gaskets around the injetor body. Still have the popping. The shop tells me that I may not have any luck with the fuel management systems on my '08 Vegas. Something about the '08s and after can't tweak the mapping? Isn't that what the fuel management systems are suposed to do? Can anyone help?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The popping on deceleration may be normal, but popping between shifs isn't?
Yep, sorry, but that's normal. Mine has been doing it since day one of having the swept pipes. Not every time, and not every day, some days bad, some days not at all. Same story from the dealer, they all do it starting with the 2008's, and they are restricted from tuning it out.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
My KP does as well. swept pipes. loud and not always will it do it and you cant make it do it. sometimes on decel but up shifting most. I like it its unique. but thats just me..cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have found you can make it do it most of the time if you pull the clutch in without completely rolling off the throttle fully.

my concern was long term damage from years of occasional popping....but after 15 minutes of talking with the lead tech and sales manager at my dealer i'm convinced its just a nuisance. its a closed loop engine issue, but it apparently doesnt damage anything and my dealer says they have got to the point where they tweak some settings preemptively when someone gets swept pipes because they see it so often.

i agree with okiehoss, it sounds cool.....and since its harmless i dont care anymore.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I guess I have a differnt concept of "normal". Popping through the exhaust is not normal and is a byproduct of running too lean. It should be corrected. Dealers that blow you off shouldn't be patronized either.
Damage can and probably will show up sooner or later. To each his own.

Cheers

·
Registered
782 Posts
I guess I have a differnt concept of "normal". Popping through the exhaust is not normal and is a byproduct of running too lean. It should be corrected. Dealers that blow you off shouldn't be patronized either.
Damage can and probably will show up sooner or later. To each his own.

Cheers

Exactly. No, this is NOT normal. A properly tuned Vic will not do this.

9,000+ miles on mine and it never popped or backfired one time.

Check for an exhaust leak first, then get a proper tune for the new pipes. My dealer switched over to the Shotgun tune for most exhaust installs, and that's what they used for mine (RPW Slash pipes).

·
Registered
851 Posts
A PERCEIVED increase in popping is normal. The reason is because the new pipes are louder for all exhaust noises. This includes the popping that is already there but you don't notice it because of the baffles.

Popping is an indication of a lean condition that should be corrected. But I would pull the plugs to verify the problem before I tried to correct it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mine used to pop until I spent the money and got a custom tune done. Weird though, it popped alot on decel and upshifting, so the dyno guy told me he richened (like usual) but it got way worse. He said it was the first time he actually had to lean out a bike to make it stop, it's all good now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad to hear you fixed your popping issues. Which fuel management system did you end up with? Now that you have it in and working, was it the right choice, or is there any other ones I should consider?

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Im not a Vic tech but I dont think its a lean condition. Ive disconected my O2 sensors because THEY lean the bike out way to much and the engine runs to hot..My bike runs cooler now and pops between shifts sometimes. In my thinking Its extra fuel igniting in the pipes on the way out..I could be wrong and thats fine..who gives a **** anyway..:ltr:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Has the popping gotten better since you disconnected the O2 sensor? As it has been explained to me, to much fuel burns, to much air makes it explode (pop).

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Exactly. No, this is NOT normal. A properly tuned Vic will not do this.

9,000+ miles on mine and it never popped or backfired one time.

Check for an exhaust leak first, then get a proper tune for the new pipes. My dealer switched over to the Shotgun tune for most exhaust installs, and that's what they used for mine (RPW Slash pipes).
Yours never popped because it was a open loop bike, and did not have an IAC. The reason the 08> bikes pop is because Vic uses the IAC like an air pump, and it leans the piss out of the exhaust on throttle shut in the 22-2800RPM region. This is done to lower CO, and bump up the NOX in the gas; while cleaning the converters. The swept pipes design makes it the absolute worst popping pipe of the bunch, but ALL 08> do it to some extent. It is NOT A TUNING ISSUE, but some popping can be relived with a bunch of money thrown at it. Adapting your riding style a little will go further then throwing $$ at it though

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What do you need to through money at to fix it? I have done a few things that help during deceleration, but what can you do for the popping while shifting?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
What do you need to through money at to fix it? I have done a few things that help during deceleration, but what can you do for the popping while shifting?
Carry it to just above 2800 and make your shifts. The pops will pretty much be eliminated

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I spoke to Brandon& Big Joe at Kewlmetal about lights before they told me to ask you more about the popping issue with my swept pipes on my '08 Vegas. They said you were the one to talk to. I will try the shifting above 2800 rpm and see if that helps, but what do you mean by throwing a bunch of money at it? Are you talking about adding a Power Commander III? I've been told that should fix most of the popping?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts