Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you that are having the decel popping problems tried other then NGK plugs? I had champs in mine till 2 days ago when i put in a new set of ngks ive noticed my idle is not as good/smooth, and i get more popping on decel and between shifts. With the champs the popping was almost not there. I will be going back to champs tonight.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
That is kind of strange. Do the Vics come with Champion plugs from the factory? I have not taken mine out yet to see what they are.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No they come with NGKs DCPR6E plugs. The champs i have are RA8HGC i believe.

·
Registered
931 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok heres some pics of mine. The first 2are ngk dcpr6e they have about 150 miles on them and have not colored yet. These were done after 5 miles of continuous 70mph, held the throttle and hit the kill switch. The second 2 are champs they also have a couple hundred miles on them, 15 today with the last 5 continuous 70 mph held throttle and hit kill switch. Its 40 degrees out and im running 89 octane non-oxygenated gas, lloyds air filter, thrush glasspacks, and disconnected O2 sensors. After swapping plugs the idle was immediately noticeably better. Now my bike doesnt pop that much anyway so im sure for those of you that have the popping trouble im sure this is not a cure all, i am mainly stating what mine does and wondering if anyone else has tried other plugs.

Attachments

·
13,247 Posts
Takes over a 100 miles for plugs to break in.
If your letting off the gas and getting popping thats a sign of lean. If thats your problem then un hook your 02's that will make it run richer.
Do not use Holiday gas or SA gas. Do Fleet Farm BP Quick Trip and do 91 octane.
You can do a search on the net that will tell you more station

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which E3 plugs do you run? For car use ive never heard much good about them. Supposedly they are only working well for 8-10,000 miles. Havent heard much about other usage though. Is there noticeable improvements?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I had the same issue. I changed my plugs back to the same NGK's and plugged back in my o2 sensors. My plugs were black and fouled looking like yours. It ran better after that. The Champions cant possibly make that much of a difference. NGK is a superior plug. Check your old plugs and see if there may be a fine hair line crack. Easy to do when installing new plugs. Also tryplugging back in your o2's. I had popping worse with them unplugged as some have stated. I run better and smoother with them o2's in and my Power pro is tuned to richen up idle and cruise speed fuel delivery via the little tuning pot in the controller. Think I got dialed in poretty good now. Did a 700 mile trip last wkend with Honey on the back and she ran great. Bike ran good too! :ltr:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Takes over a 100 miles for plugs to break in.
If your letting off the gas and getting popping thats a sign of lean. If thats your problem then un hook your 02's that will make it run richer.
Do not use Holiday gas or SA gas. Do Fleet Farm BP Quick Trip and do 91 octane.
You can do a search on the net that will tell you more station
Can you tell us the difference between a broke in plug and a new one.:ltr:
A spark is a spark, big or small they all light the charge.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine runs pretty good. Always more to have but for now till i get a tuner im happy. I will agree to disagree on the ngks being superior. Since ive had motorcycles, snowmobiles etc ive never had luck with ngk plugs. My last bike was a 1978 cb750 honda, that ran noticeably better with champs then ngks. Smoother idle, cleaner plugs, better mpg, just all around better running. If there was a crack or fault in my ngks i just pulled it would just go along with all of my ngk experiences. I can buy a set of 4 and within 200 miles one of them would go bad, have had it happen to many times to ever rely on them.

I am taking his " breaking in spark plugs" as the time it takes them to color. Ngks take forever to color.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I un-plugged the o2 sensors while my bike was still stock and got some blubber on de-cel so I plugged them back in. then I did the cherry bombs and ran them from last fall till now. I get an occasional pop on up shift but never had a de-cel pop. now with stage I flash and high flow air filter its still the same, never have had a de-cel pop ever, try plugging the o2s back up and see what happens. I know everyone says un-plug the o2s and pull the rubber from around the filter but the mechanic that did my flash said not to un plug the sensors, and he also said if you pull the rubber from the air filter it will get water in the filter. I talked to him for quite a while and he knew way more about vics than I ever will.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok this topic did not go where it was intended. My point of it was, try different plugs if you have popping. Just to try. Mine doesnt neccessarily pop more of a poof poof at times. Im happy with mine. I have the lloyds filter, thrush glasspacks and have tried my O2s unhooked and hooked up, runs better unhooked with this setup, stock with them unhooked it popped all the time. I was just stating what mine does just in case it would maybe help someone. And from what several people have posted, your filter will not get wet if you take the strip out.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I un-plugged the o2 sensors while my bike was still stock and got some blubber on de-cel so I plugged them back in. then I did the cherry bombs and ran them from last fall till now. I get an occasional pop on up shift but never had a de-cel pop. now with stage I flash and high flow air filter its still the same, never have had a de-cel pop ever, try plugging the o2s back up and see what happens. I know everyone says un-plug the o2s and pull the rubber from around the filter but the mechanic that did my flash said not to un plug the sensors, and he also said if you pull the rubber from the air filter it will get water in the filter. I talked to him for quite a while and he knew way more about vics than I ever will.
I agree with all you and the vic mechanic say. The filter strip I wonder about only brcause Loyds hi-fkow filter requires removal of the strip. He knows more about Vics than we ever will. It makes sense that it would keep water out and noise to a minimum though. I have been caught in rain a few times and hav'nt experienced any issues yet.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I agree with all you and the vic mechanic say. The filter strip I wonder about only brcause Loyds hi-fkow filter requires removal of the strip. He knows more about Vics than we ever will. It makes sense that it would keep water out and noise to a minimum though. I have been caught in rain a few times and hav'nt experienced any issues yet.
I know VERY little about vics, i'm just saying what the mechanic told me. I have read in threads here that people have had rust on the air filter with the strip out. it probably wouldn't hurt anything anyway for it to get wet while running, and you would have to purposely spray up in there while washing it to get it wet. the hd filters get some moisture on them in a rain too.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Which E3 plugs do you run? For car use ive never heard much good about them. Supposedly they are only working well for 8-10,000 miles. Havent heard much about other usage though. Is there noticeable improvements?

VICTORY
8-Ball; 1507CC (2005) ..............................................E3.38 .030
Classic Cruiser; 1507CC (2003) ...............................E3.38 .030
HaMMer, S; 1634CC (2008-05) ................................E3.38 .030
Kingpin 8-Ball; 1634CC (2008) .................................E3.38 .030
Kingpin, Deluxe, Tour; 1634CC (2008-06) ................E3.38 .030
Kingpin; 1507CC (2005-04) ......................................E3.38 .030
Touring Cruiser; 1507CC (2005-03) ..........................E3.38 .030
Touring Cruiser; 1634CC (2007-06) ..........................E3.38 .030
V92C, Deluxe F/I; 1507CC (2002) ............................E3.38 .030
V92C; 1507CC (2001-98) .........................................E3.36 .040
V92SC; 1507CC (2001-00) .......................................E3.36 .040
V92TC, Deluxe F/I; 1507CC (2002) ..........................E3.38 .030
Vegas Low, Vegas 8-Ball; 1634CC (2008) ................E3.38 .030
Vegas, Jackpot/Ness, 8 Ball; 1634CC (2008-06) ......E3.38 .030
Vegas; 1507CC (2005-03) ........................................E3.38 .030
Vision Street, Tour; 1731CC (2008) ..........................E3.36

I have had good luck in every vehicle I have installed, plus customers vehicles also.
In my Vegas seen improvement in fuel economy..

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks i see it lists the gaps for them, can they be gapped? What do the rest of you run your plug gaps at on your other plugs? My book says .031-.035 i have mine at .035.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks i see it lists the gaps for them, can they be gapped? What do the rest of you run your plug gaps at on your other plugs? My book says .031-.035 i have mine at .035.
Snake oil.....

Anything with more than one ground is a waste. They may last a little longer, but they do NOT get a better spark... ever. Electric always takes the path of least resistance. It cannot take two or more paths at the same time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts