Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was asking some questions on the Cobra PowerPro thread, but they were being over run by the "King of the Hill" Cobra vrs Power Commander bickering that was being flung back and forth over.

So I thought maybe a new thread might draw out some answers?

Background - In the fall I bought a new to me 2011 Ness XC that I was told had a stage 1. On the few trips I did last fall it was popping alot on decel.

I have read and keep following the Cobra thread, but I am still uncertain on what I should do. my intent is to:

Install a Lloyds high flow air filter and Idle Air Valve

I would like to leave the O2 sensors plugged in (seek advice here)

I am trying to avoid having to purchase a fuel manager and doing a dyno. If I must to get rid of the popping? I will get either a Cobra Powerpro or a Power Commander V w/auto tuner. However, I don't need the performance to win a 1/4 mile just would like my bike to run well. If I don't really need a fuel manager I won't bother (seek advice here).

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
You don't know if the bike has the stage 1 download or not... that information would be kind of handy.

http://www.kingpin-riders.com/articles.asp?Article=59691&fid=40
^^^click^^^up^^^here^^^

In any case, no matter what fuel controller you use, or even with the stage 1 download, you will be unplugging those O2 sensors. It's free to try it... not irreversible. Try it right now.

If they bother you being there and not connected, there's a fix for that too.
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/arlen-ness-oxygen-sensor-port-plugs-victory/part/AN-05-991

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you aren't looking for any performance gains just trying to get rid of the decell popping...i would highly recommend Lloyds IAC as you stated before. No performance gains but overall throttle response is better along with "tip in" throttle...blipping the throttle. There isnt any NEED to install lloyds air filter when doing the IAC.

As for a fuel controller....well grab your favorite beverage and hit the search bottom for fuel controllers..and prepared to get up for refills.

I too agree, try disconnecting the O2 sensors and riding it for a bit. If you follow the single wire coming off the sensor about 8-10 inches later you will find the disconnection point...front sensor that would be under the cover that hides your battery...the back one is just aft of the motor basically resting on the tranny.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you aren't looking for any performance gains just trying to get rid of the decell popping...i would highly recommend Lloyds IAC as you stated before. No performance gains but overall throttle response is better along with "tip in" throttle...blipping the throttle.
+1. The IAV was by far the best mod I made to my bike.

I also installed the Lloydz air filter, not really for more power, but for the extended lifetime of the filter itself vs the OEM filters. What I personally have come to like about it is the nice throaty growl it adds to the bike. Puts a smile on my dial every time I twist the throttlethumb up

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Trial and error can be expensive too. Decel popping is usually a sign of unburnt fuel in the exhaust, is it not? Or maybe there is an exhaust leak at one of the connection points. Donut gasket to cylinder head would be a good place to start checking. Had 2 different bikes with that problem. Vics are notorious for this and it seems that there are different remodies too.

Buy the LLoyds filter. All that have it have no regrets. It's an awesome piece. The IAV is not to expensive and will only improve your bikes idle and possibly remove your popping. No matter it is an improvement to the stock set up. (My next purchase).

Disconnect your O2 's if you do the above. You need to richen the mixture at least to take advantage of more air coming in. If you insyall after mkt pipes (not stg1) than you have to look at controllers.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
+1 on the IAV - it all but eliminated my popping. A smooth hand on the throttle helps too - don't chop or slam it closed. BTW, if you (or anyone) is going to remove the O2 sensors, you can get hole plugs FREE at any muffler shop. Pipes and cats come with 'em and they just throw 'em away. Ask an installer, he'll give you a pocket full. I got the type that have a socket recess so they go in flush with the surface.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Warranty?

Regarding the disconnecting of the O2s, if down the road there is a problem with the bike, can the shop tell if you have been riding around with the O2s diconnected, hence voiding the warranty? Just curious?

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Not if you reconnect them before taking it in to the shop.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Would plan on doing that, just wasnt sure if readings were recorded somewhere.
Thanks RICZ

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Would plan on doing that, just wasnt sure if readings were recorded somewhere.
Thanks RICZ
Help! The Paranoids are after me! :ltr:

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
Disconnecting the O² sensors takes 1 minute. Reconnecting them takes another minute. Here's a post showing you where they are and how to disconnect them: http://www.victoryforums.com/showpost.php?p=24760&postcount=1.

FYI, I've taken my bike in for service during the warranty period, and never bothered to connect them. They don't look to see if they're connected or not. But the pill for your worries is to simply reconnect them once you arrive at your local dealer. thumb up

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
Does disconnection of the O2 sensors cause a check engine light?

m
Only if you disconnect one sensor, leaving the other plugged in. And that clears once you realize your mistake, and disconnect both.

·
Registered
470 Posts
ive run mine both ways and can't tell much diffference. seems to de-cel pop a LITTLE worse connected. i did the cherry bomb pipes and now have them connected. i don't get much de-cel popping but now and then shifting up the pop will startle you its so loud.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
ive run mine both ways and can't tell much diffference. seems to de-cel pop a LITTLE worse connected. i did the cherry bomb pipes and now have them connected. i don't get much de-cel popping but now and then shifting up the pop will startle you its so loud.
I get that too while shifting and I had my bike tuned at the same time the PC5 was installed. I thought he had successfully tuned it out at one point but i was wrong. It's intermittent but just like yours it is often times very loud! Wish there was a way to eliminate it all together.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
When shifting, try EASING back the throttle instead of chopping it. Works for me.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I get that too while shifting and I had my bike tuned at the same time the PC5 was installed. I thought he had successfully tuned it out at one point but i was wrong. It's intermittent but just like yours it is often times very loud! Wish there was a way to eliminate it all together.

seems to have a lot to do with humidity whether it pops or not, mine seems to do it when the humidity is low. on rainy days it rarely does it. i don't mind it too much unless the wife is riding and jumps.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Would autotune do anything to remedy this issue?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have had 2x HD's that I did stage 1's on that used to pop on Decel. I installed PCIII's and had them dyno'd and mapped and never had a problem again afterwards.

Guys that have installed the Cobra Powerpro are stating it solves the decel popping. I have also read that the Lloyds ICV also eliminated popping for guys that installed it. Others claim that disconnecting the O2 sensors has helped.

I suspect a PCV with autotune should eliminate the popping on decel, but I must first determine what pipes I have so I get the right base map. My understanding (someone plse correct me if I am wrong) is the autotune fine tunes your base map, it doesn't build a map from scratch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts