Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all from Northern British Columbia! I am currently riding a 2003 Kawi Vulcan Classic 1600. For my 50th birthday (this year) I am going to buy a new bike as a present to myself for making it this long. LOL. I have it narrowed down to a Vulcan Vaquero or a Cross Country. Since winters are long here, I have plenty of time to decide. People seem to be nice here, so I thought I would join the group! cheers

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Coming from the comparisons I heard about the Vaquero vs the Venture (which is what I had before my Croos Country), I would have to say that the Cross Country would win hands down!

I liked my Venture, but after riding the CCT at a rally... I was hooked!

I have a huge a$$ grin on my face every time I ride! I bought my 2012 CCT on October 13th... Not a hint of buyers remorse.

Wally

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you ride one of the CCT you will either buy it immediately after the test ride are I give you two weeks after the ride and you will have one. I would of bought mine first time I rode one but the figures just did not work out. Went to another dealer and figures worked out so I have me one now. It is nice. Been riding two wheeler about 50 yrs Harleys since 1982 and this one I rate a little above the Harleys for now.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Someone here has test ridden both, and reported the Vaquero to be top heavy and tough to handle at parking lot speed. Best thing you can do is test ride both, and let the bikes sell themselves. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick replies. CrossRoads, I noticed the top heaviedness (not a word I know) of the Vaquero as soon as I sat on one and took it off the kickstand. The Victory seemed to be far better balanced.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The Kawi is great for straightline but has very heavy steering and will give you more suprises in the twisties than most people want to deal with. It sits too low and will drag parts with very little lean angle.

If you are into touring or like to carry a lot of stuff on short rides the XCT has more than enough room and for most the XC or XR have plenty of storage. The Kawi has deceptive bags; they look roomy from the outside but really don't have much space. The other downside is that they are side opening.

If you like comfort the XCT, XC and XR all have twice as much suspension travel as the Kawi. The only real plus in the comfort department with the Kawi is that your passenger will have a little more cushion. That plus goes away after hitting a couple of bumps with 2" or rear suspension.

I am not one to push people to certain brands; buy what appeals to you and what you can afford/enjoy riding. So test ride both and let bikes help you make your decision.

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
Clarence,
I threw a leg over my first motorized two wheeler back in 1951 and haven't quit yet. Through the passing decades, I have ridden many bikes and I must say that I have never been on a bike that is so compliant and rider friendly as is my Cross Roads. Due to the effects of age and cancers, our long distance touring days are a thing of the past, so now we just do regional riding around the Northwest with 300 mile days being typical. The XR is so fulfilling to ride that I seek any opportunity to get on it, no matter if its just a store errand or a 400 mile jaunt. A nice feature is leaving friends on sport-tourers behind in the twisties. Not mentioned previously is Victory's dependability factor. I passed on buying an extended warranty because even the dealer said I'd be throwing $$$ at him. Check 'em all out, but I'm willing to bet you'll settle on the XCT. If I was still doing the long distance thing, there'd be one in my garage. Cheers.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I rode the Kawi Voyager (dresser version of the Vaquero) a couple times. I really liked it considering the price was thousands less than the HD, Goldwing, Venture, and XC(T). However it did have quirks and I like the XC much better. I lucked out and got a smokin deal on a repo'd XC and I'm really happy I did not have to compromise.

Kawi Quirks (IMHO):
  • The water cooled motor is nice and quiet but when the electric fan kicks in the hot air really burns up your left leg.
  • The rear suspension is decent but bounces or has a pogo effect.
  • The ground clearance is not very good.
I really liked the looks and style of the bike and the dash. Again the prices available online were good enough that I was willing to overlook the issues but I got lucky enough to have my cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the heat isn't an issue really for me up here and since my wife won't get on a bike anymore, the suspension travel isn't quite as important. Like I said earlier I too noticed right away that the Kawi seemed quite a bit more top heavy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been riding on the street since 1981 when I bought my first and only brand new bike which was a Yamaha 650 Special. It didn't have any wind protection on it, so it could be pretty brutal on long rides.:crzy:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I too had the issue of Vaquero or XC. I chose the XC due to the seat height. I did like the Vaquero but it was a little to high for me. Love the XC. Although I have seen leftover Vaquero's on ebay for as low as 13,000. That's a good buy. I have owned 3 kaw's in my time and liked them all,but it would be hard to go back after riding the XC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the features of the XC Tour(heated seats, hard lowers etc.) but I'm not overly crazy about the price. I just find it mind blowing that a bike could be 25+ K. Oh well, you have to pay to play.... :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like the features of the XC Tour(heated seats, hard lowers etc.) but I'm not overly crazy about the price. I just find it mind blowing that a bike could be 25+ K. Oh well, you have to pay to play.... :D
Try and find a 2011, add heated grips, you can add heated seat etc...
I love mine :)

I'm in Calgary by the way, planning a ride with VR riders in June rally down towards Washington and oregan coast

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
I'm in Calgary by the way, planning a ride with VR riders in June rally down towards Washington and oregan coast
If its lunch or dinner time when in Seaside, Oregon, you can't beat the clam chowder and razor clams at Norma's. Take a right, off of Broadway, at the last light before the turnaround and Norma's will be at the end of the block on your left. Randy, the owner, is a fellow motorcyclist - tell him Ric sent you. Don't pass up riding the southern half of the Oregon coast, it's probably the most gorgeous on this continent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If its lunch or dinner time when in Seaside, Oregon, you can't beat the clam chowder and razor clams at Norma's. Take a right, off of Broadway, at the last light before the turnaround and Norma's will be at the end of the block on your left. Randy, the owner, is a fellow motorcyclist - tell him Ric sent you. Don't pass up riding the southern half of the Oregon coast, it's probably the most gorgeous on this continent.
Will do, thanks for the info, If i'm by there, I will stop for sure !
I love Clam Chowder!:D:D:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
I first saw the Vaquero and liked the way it looked until I saw the XC. You cant beat the sexy lines of a Victory :cool:

I test rode both of them and for me, not only was the Vaquero more top heavy than the Vic, I felt more confined.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a Voyager and to me it's not really top heavy but that's just me. It's my first Kawi and I'm so disappointed in it that I'm looking to trade it in for a XCT but I will need to wait alittle while since I only had it for 5 months. Don't get me wrong but the Voyager is a pretty looking bike and most comfortable stock bike I ever sat on it's just lacks power in my opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have always liked the look of the Voyager as well. But since the wife doesn't like to go on trips, I don't need the permanently mounted seat and trunk. I like the ability to remove the trunk easily, for when I ride around town.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts