Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to check the tire pressures in my trucks and them my XR and when I got down on the ground to check the rear tire I saw a couple of drops of oil underneath my baby! I looked up as saw another small amount that was ready to drop from the bolt that holds the air shock on the left side. I am not really sure if it is motor oil or not because it was a brownish red and kind of watery. Upon further inspection the whole area around the part of the frame that holds the air shock in had oil stains. I looked over the engine, tranny, and oil sump but could not find any leaks or stains leading to the shock area. What could this be and has anybody else run into this. Here are some pics of what I am talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
How does your rear shock feel? Does it have any dampening characteristics or does it bounce like it is all spring? You may have blown shock, but then again it could be just a messy attempt someone (dealer?) made to lube your lower shock linkage and didn't wipe up the excess over spray...

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the shock pressure after I gave up on finding where the oil was coming from and it was fine. The oil or grease or what ever it is is also on the side of the bottom part of the shock.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After doing some web searching I found a thread on another Vic site where others had the same leak and it was the air shock. Looks like it contains oil like the shock on a truck. I still have a few months of warranty left so I guess it will go in for a new shock if that is the problem. I have been airing it up and down quite a bit lately but have never exceeded the max psi nor used an air compressor, just the fox pump. I am surprised it is already going bad with just 3k miles on the bike and makes me wonder how long the replacement will last.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I checked the shock pressure after I gave up on finding where the oil was coming from and it was fine. The oil or grease or what ever it is is also on the side of the bottom part of the shock.
You checked the "air" pressure right ? Well this won't be affected by air pressure if there is a seal leak . Air shocks still use oil for dampening while the air acts as the spring . Sounds more and more that it is the shock...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Disregard last post , I was typing while you posted . Sounds like you found your problem...

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you guys seen the price to replace these shocks? Around $500!!! I hope mine is a fluke and the new one does not do the same thing. Does Victory replacement parts have any kind of warranty on them? I hope they have at least a year on the part just in case this happens again.

·
13,183 Posts
No if and or butts Its the Shock

The very first photo you look up at rubber boot and you can see a trace of lube.

Go to dealer ask for new shock.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I dunno about the rear air shock, but I know Polaris will tell you to kick rocks if you want them to warranty a fork seal. Best of luck to you, man.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I hope not! I am going to stop by the dealership tomorrow in my cage and ask about it and hopefully bring it in Friday to have them look at it. If they don't warranty it then I will weigh my options but I won't be happy but we will see. I have been experiencing wheel slip when going into curves every now and then and an unsteady feeling. I think the oil from the shock has been blowing onto my rear tire and causing this. I can see oil stains all down the frame at the tire and on past it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I hope not! I am going to stop by the dealership tomorrow in my cage and ask about it and hopefully bring it in Friday to have them look at it. If they don't warranty it then I will weigh my options but I won't be happy but we will see. I have been experiencing wheel slip when going into curves every now and then and an unsteady feeling. I think the oil from the shock has been blowing onto my rear tire and causing this. I can see oil stains all down the frame at the tire and on past it.
Woh! now if thats not a safety issue I dont know what is> Hope they stand tall and take care of this.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Safety issue!

I would tell Victory bike has a bad safety issue then mention the bad shock,oil leaking. If they do not like it or do not want to help I would call one of the local news channels and let their guy that helps with problems point out the safety issue on the news. I am sure they will try to help you with you life threating problem then. ---- Now if all else fails and you have to get a new shock I would try contacting "Hagon" and maybe they would build a shock for your bike. They make shocks for just about everything they may as well add Victorys to their list.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took the bike in on my way to work this morning and they confirmed it was the shock. Mechanic who looked at it said it appears all the oil has leaked now. They said it would be a week or more before the part comes in plus install so I may be without my XR over the 4th holiday but it is what it is. The mechanic said I could still ride it if I want since all the oil is now leaked out, just would not dampen as well but the owner preferred I leave it there for safety reasons so that is what I did. This post may be a good reminder for all of you to check your rear shock and look for oil stains around the bottom mount and the shock itself. I had no clue mine had been leaking till I saw the drops on the garage floor.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Took the bike in on my way to work this morning and they confirmed it was the shock. Mechanic who looked at it said it appears all the oil has leaked now. They said it would be a week or more before the part comes
I had this issue with an Ohlins shock on a Duc once. They sent the shock back to the mfg and they "rebuilt it" i.e. replaced oil and seals.

Is Vic going to replace the shock or send your tech a new seal?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am pretty sure it will be a new shock. If you look in the shop manual it states that the shock can not be serviced or rebuilt and must be replaced with a new one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised they won't rebuild it. I raced MX for 15yrs and we would rebuild, revalve, and change viscosity of the oil in rear shocks on a regular basis. I guess they have their reasons.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Vic replaced my shock with no questions. Mechanic e-mailed the sort of pics you posted.
This was two years ago. No problems since.

Jack

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just before the 500 mile service on my 2012 Cross Roads, I notice the ride change and when I looked at the shock, it looked like the fluid had leaked out.

The mechanic at the dealer that did the service said that he had seen several cases of the rear shock failing on the Cross Roads.

Replaced mine under warranty and over 19,000 miles later the new one is still going strong.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad to hear the replacement shock has worked out for you guys and not failed yet. I am going to try and see if they will let me keep the old shock. I am not sure why it is not serviceable but I suspect the leaks are from bad or blown seals and it looks like you could just fill it back up with fluid and put in a new seal and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Glad to hear the replacement shock has worked out for you guys and not failed yet. I am going to try and see if they will let me keep the old shock. I am not sure why it is not serviceable but I suspect the leaks are from bad or blown seals and it looks like you could just fill it back up with fluid and put in a new seal and be done with it.
I would imagine the shock is of the welded cylinder type, the same as OEM car shocks. My Hammer shock was that type too. Rebuildable shocks have a machined tube with a threaded end cap.
I doubt the CC shock is rebuildable. Otherwise the service manual would explain, as they do in other Polaris vehicles (sleds and utvs).

Hope they get it fixed for you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts