Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I seem to have a thing for "orphaned" bikes. Never had a Victory, although have been looking at them with interest for years. Anyway, I've kinda got the itch for an early one - like a V92C with the Freedom motor. Trying to find some threads on "things to look for when buying a used Victory".

What has happened to Victory reminds me A LOT of what happened when HD shut down Buell in 2009. Buell fans were outraged and astounded at HD's shortsightedness. Of course HD didn't care. And there were good fire sales, a loyal rider base and good internet support that exists to this day, making owning a Buell a perfectly viable motorcycle experience (I've had 6 over the years).

Anyway, what kind of heartache am I in for if I pick up one of these early guys? BTW - I do all my own work on my bikes. Most of them are pretty old. The newest one I currently have is on the road is a '02 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
13,704 Posts
You will be fine. I'd get something post 2001 just to be sure you don't stuck with one that had the transmission trouble early on that didn't get fixed under warranty.

In my humble opinion you would be happiest with something 2004 or newer though. They went closed loop in 2008 and got rid of the fast idle lever and added exhaust sensors.

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
The only heartaches you'll experience is not enough T-shirts and accessories. These things are so dependable, the only time you'll use your tools is for mods and routine maintenance. The icing on the cake is (if you get a Cross bike) they are super easy to work on.

·
Registered
483 Posts
At the prices newer Vics are going for I would go for one of them, meaning 07 or newer. There are some nice low mile bikes out there waiting to be ridden.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. Anybody know where I could find a year by year chronology of the various technical changes? Not looking so much for model chronology, but stuff like Bbob mentioned above (e.g. going closed loop etc).

I have to admit a fondness for the early V92C styling... and seems like there's some good deals to be found on them...

Steve

·
Premium Member
13,704 Posts
Thanks for the comments. Anybody know where I could find a year by year chronology of the various technical changes? Not looking so much for model chronology, but stuff like Bbob mentioned above (e.g. going closed loop etc).

I have to admit a fondness for the early V92C styling... and seems like there's some good deals to be found on them...

Steve
Great idea. Once you finish putting it together, send me a copy, and I'll add it to the Free Service Manual database.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'm happy to report I'm no longer a possible owner, but a confirmed owner! Picked up an '02 V92C Deluxe, less than 20k miles for pretty cheap. After some fresh gas and a fresh set of plugs it's running great (it had been sitting for a while). Got about 30 miles on it today before the rain hit, but it's been very enjoyable so far. Beautiful bike - almost looks new except the wheel chrome is kinda crappy, unfortunately.

Steve

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
Yep...second that on pix

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
And add a profile and signature (now that you have the bike) or VisionJohnny will eat you alive. You've been warned. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It's seems to be mostly stock, although it's pretty loud. Does anybody recognize the "mufflers"? In doing a quick once over looks like the air filter is a K&N. And the plugs I pulled were NGK CR6EB rather than CR7EB per Victory. Not quite sure what I'm dealing with here, I put in Autolite 4303's which were a cross for the CR7EB (and readily available). Seems to be running good - but is there some provision for remapping here due to lower restriction intake/exhaust? How would I know if it's been done? The PO said it's current configuration was pretty much as he'd bought it, so couldn't provide any pearls of wisdom...

Steve

·
Premium Member
13,704 Posts
Sweet!! Well done. I really like the paint job too.

Ric; I agree with VJ. It just makes it so much easier to know what year and model the bike under discussion is with a glance at the sig line.

I wish the forum software forced it during sign up so something had to be entered for model and year of bike. If someone doesn't have one when they sign up they can put anything in there then change it when they get one if they get one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not an expert on spark plugs for Victory's but those that are say the NGK's are the best ones for them for performance and longevity.
Yeah, I like NGK's, but my local Advance Auto didn't have them stocked and I was in dire need. Would only run on 1 cylinder otherwise. The Autolite's seem to be working for now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh; and the muffs look like Victory performance muffs to me. Can you see anything stamped on them at all?
Yeah, stamped with "this product designed for competition use and off road use only...blah blah blah"... I'm sure a lot of V92C's see off road use.:wink

·
13,239 Posts
Reactions: BBob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for the link! I love service manuals!

I'm a little puzzled about the NGK CPR6EB-9 that I took out of it and why the PO had the hotter plug in there. Factory says CR7EB so the Autolite plug I put in was a cross for that. Seems to run pretty well - put another 50 miles on it today, although a friend who was following me said "it smelled rich". Looked up and performed the throttle stop adjustment after getting home, but maybe things still aren't what they should be. Again, it appears I have "performance" mufflers and a K&N filter but I would think that would make it lean if the map hadn't been adjusted - not rich.

Still plenty to learn! In the meantime, I'm happy to be among the Victory owner ranks....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts