Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title states, is it possible to charge the battery (or keep it tended) through power outlet? I have the CCT which has cigarette-style outlets on handlebar (fairing?) and inside left, hard lower storage compartment.

Thnx!

·
13,177 Posts
I would think so as long as there is power there when key is off it would feed the battery.
But your lighter is controlled by the key I bet.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thnx. I went out and plugged in my cigarette-lighter outlet powered air pump and tried the flash light accessory--with the moto key off. It powered the light. So, I guess I'll give charging this route a go.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I bought an adapter from Battery Tender and have used it to charge the battery through the power outlet on the fairing. Works fine. thumb up

·
Registered
112 Posts
Powerlet.com makes a cable that will connect a Battery Tender, Yuasa or similar trickle charger with a SAE cable to the cigarette outlet and allow charging ($13.95).

Click here

I have used Powerlet many times and like their products. The even made me a custom cable of 12" long to connect my Garmin GPS to the cigarette lighter. This way I didn't have have 3' of Garmin cable wire tied to my handlebars.

steviej

Attachments

·
Registered
827 Posts
Just as the title states, is it possible to charge the battery (or keep it tended) through power outlet? I have the CCT which has cigarette-style outlets on handlebar (fairing?) and inside left, hard lower storage compartment.

Thnx!
I think your XCT should have come with a battery tender wire in the front of your bike.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
My 11 XR did not have a battery tender wire hooked to it either. Piced up one that would work with my tender at local auto parts store for 3 bucks.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I took a look and didn't see one. Searching the internet, some had said Victory stopped installing them starting with '11 year group. :confused:
My 2013 XCT has one. Maybe some of the dealerships are not installing them when they do the dealer prep.

·
Registered
381 Posts
My 2013 XCT has one. Maybe some of the dealerships are not installing them when they do the dealer prep.
My 2011 was suppose to have one but didn't. When I bought my 2012 I insisted that they install one. This also insured that they had to check the battery terminals for tightness. My 11 had a dead battery within two days because the terminals were loose. If the dealer had installed the battery tender cable like he should have he would have caught this problem.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Where would the wire be if it was installed? I ride year round so rarely have a need, but would be nice if I should need to park my bike for awhile.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think your XCT should have come with a battery tender wire in the front of your bike.
I called my dealer after i got my AG-XC home and asked the same question because my 2011 XR had one. He said Polaris told him it was a money saving decision. They figured for every one owner that uses it for storage purposes etc, there are probably 4 who don't, so why are we (Polaris) putting them in every bike?

I understand the logic, if that is true, but I thought it was one of the nice things that helped set Victory apart from the competition. I wished I would have seen this thread earlier though. It would have saved me installing on behind the chin fairing.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Aaaaaaand, I was also told by a battery sales rep that to extend the life of the battery, it is a good idea to plug in if you ride regularly, but not every day...... And of course I do just that and have for years. I have never bought a battery for any of the bikes I have owned...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Where would the wire be if it was installed? I ride year round so rarely have a need, but would be nice if I should need to park my bike for awhile.
On mine: On the left side just in front of the floorboard there's a little black flap. Mine was run from the battery to there. Open flap, pull wire and connect.

·
Registered
49 Posts
[email protected]!

I wanted to hook up the Battery Tender, today. Looked in the owner's manual to find out how to get to the CR battery, and the manual mentioned that there was a fused maintenance charger connection on the bike already.

Not on my bike.

Since I am going to have to remove the chin fairing to get at the battery, I guess I will have to find a cable and connector of my own and attach it, so i don't have to take the chin fairing off every time. :(

·
Registered
827 Posts
[email protected]!

I wanted to hook up the Battery Tender, today. Looked in the owner's manual to find out how to get to the CR battery, and the manual mentioned that there was a fused maintenance charger connection on the bike already.

Not on my bike.

Since I am going to have to remove the chin fairing to get at the battery, I guess I will have to find a cable and connector of my own and attach it, so i don't have to take the chin fairing off every time. :(
Your bike should have come with the wire for the tender. The dealer should have connected it when they connected the battery. Maybe the wire is in the bag with you paperwork. If not; go ask your dealer.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Victory stopped including them starting '11 (?).
No they didn't.
My 2013 XCT came with a tender cord installed.
I think some dealers don't put them on when they install the battery.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts