Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just picked up a 2010 XC with 28k miles. I'm new to Victory and baggers, so this could be user error, but Is anyone having any issue downshifting from 2nd to 1st? I seem to have this problem when coming to a stop and its intermittent. I just got the XC last Thursday and didn't notice anything during the test ride, however, it seems to be more prevalent the more I ride, which is almost everyday if I can.
Also, every time I pull in the clutch completely in, I keep hitting that button that cycles the info on the dash, was that just poor engineering by Polaris, or do I have another problem on my hands?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Hey all, just picked up a 2010 XC with 28k miles. I'm new to Victory and baggers, so this could be user error, but Is anyone having any issue downshifting from 2nd to 1st? I seem to have this problem when coming to a stop and its intermittent. I just got the XC last Thursday and didn't notice anything during the test ride, however, it seems to be more prevalent the more I ride, which is almost everyday if I can.
Also, every time I pull in the clutch completely in, I keep hitting that button that cycles the info on the dash, was that just poor engineering by Polaris, or do I have another problem on my hands?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!
I can't speak on the downshifting issue other than the 1 & 2 on the cross bikes seem finnicky at times. Keep an eye on it.

With the the menu button issue check to see if it is your hand or the actual clutch lever pressing the button. When I first got my CCT and moved the bars to an angle I liked I then adjusted my controls. I kept cycling through the menu, resetting my clock, resetting my mileage, etc. It drove me insane for a couple of hours while I checked all the connections and finally found the issue. My clutch lever was contacting the button ever-so-slightly but still enough to push the button. I had a chuckle (and a beer) about it and fixed it and never have had the issue again.

Skin

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Could be wear on your shift ratchet, doesn't take much wear for it to slip past the star wheel, especially if the slop hasn't been taken out of the shift shaft by fitting an oil drain bung washer to the shaft.
There's plenty reading about such on here, washer on shift shaft is a major improvement, requiring removal of the primary.
What speed are you going from second to first at?
You should be stopped or almost stopped to change back to first, as these engine's have enough torque to pull away in second from almost any speed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"I can't speak on the downshifting issue other than the 1 & 2 on the cross bikes seem finnicky at times. Keep an eye on it.

With the the menu button issue check to see if it is your hand or the actual clutch lever pressing the button. When I first got my CCT and moved the bars to an angle I liked I then adjusted my controls. I kept cycling through the menu, resetting my clock, resetting my mileage, etc. It drove me insane for a couple of hours while I checked all the connections and finally found the issue. My clutch lever was contacting the button ever-so-slightly but still enough to push the button. I had a chuckle (and a beer) about it and fixed it and never have had the issue again."

Ya, it drove me nuts, the other day I somehow switched over from standard to metric and it was crazy I was doing like a hundred sixty miles an hour in a 55! I even accused my one friend who would just sat on my bike pushing all the buttons that he changed it and he laughed said, "no it wasn't me, but sounds like something I'd do lol." ya, I know it's the lever, but how do I fix it?

Skin[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Loosen the lever and move it to where the back isn't contacting the button. Mine only took a few degrees of rotation on the bars to change the angle of the clutch enough for the problem to be solved.

Skin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be wear on your shift ratchet, doesn't take much wear for it to slip past the star wheel, especially if the slop hasn't been taken out of the shift shaft by fitting an oil drain bung washer to the shaft.
There's plenty reading about such on here, washer on shift shaft is a major improvement, requiring removal of the primary.
What speed are you going from second to first at?
You should be stopped or almost stopped to change back to first, as these engine's have enough torque to pull away in second from almost any speed.
Usually tryimg between 30mph and 20mph to d/s into 1st...is my speed too high? I can usually pound it into 1st, but I'm afraid I'll break something...mongo like bike, mongo no break!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Loosen the lever and move it to where the back isn't contacting the button. Mine only took a few degrees of rotation on the bars to change the angle of the clutch enough for the problem to be solved.

Skin
Awesome, thanks dude, I'll try that tonight!

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Usually tryimg between 30mph and 20mph to d/s into 1st...is my speed too high? I can usually pound it into 1st, but I'm afraid I'll break something...mongo like bike, mongo no break!
Yeah way too high!!!
What's the point of down-shifting at that speed when it'll pull second gear easily?
Stop pounding it in or you will break something.
You need to adjust your riding style to Victory they're not like other bikes.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Awesome, thanks dude, I'll try that tonight!
No problem. Hope it helps.

Yeah way too high!!!
What's the point of down-shifting at that speed when it'll pull second gear easily?
Agreed. MBX makes a valid point, I had to adjust my style of riding to suit this machine and it makes a metric-****-ton of difference.

Skin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah way too high!!!
Thanks for all the tips gents! I'm glad, at this point it's me and not the bike, especially with a used one

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I had the exact same problem with the clutch lever hitting the display change switch. This does not happen with the bars in the stock location but if you pivot the bars up and then rotate the clutch lever perch to give you a desired rotational location for the clutch lever, this can happen. To fix it, I had to do two things. First, I had to squeeze the clutch lever perch tightly against the switch box housting using a wood working clamp and only then tightened the bolts holding the clutch lever perch to the bars. Second, I took my pocket knife and trimmed off a tiny bit of the most raised portion of the display switch. The combination of these two things stopped the clutch lever from changing the display.

For the shifting issue - Yes, you are shifting way too early. If slowing but not stopping, I would recommend NOT down shifting to 1st until you were below 20 mph. So at ~19 mph make this downshift. Also for this issue, make sure you have the proper amount of freeplay in the clutch lever. With the stock clutch cable attachment point, you should have ~1/2 - 3/4 inch of free play at the tip of the lever. If you have an aftermarket easy clutch attachment point, you should have as little freeplay as you can while still retaining some freeplay - say ~1/16 inch.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
230 Posts
You can shift into first that high but I wouldn't make it a habit. Make sure you're matching engine rpm to road speed.. that'll make it go in a lot quicker/easier.

·
13,033 Posts
only adjust clutch when its over night cold. Never warm or hot.
Your clutch just might be out of adjustment

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your input. I rode today and yesterday, short rides, but shifting down to 1st between 15 and 19mph... no issues.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I am almost dead stop before I shift to low gear. There have been a few times I have not got to first and when I took off the indicator was 2. OOPS I aint great but it will take off if you slip the clutch a little.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
I am almost dead stop before I shift to low gear. There have been a few times I have not got to first and when I took off the indicator was 2. OOPS I aint great but it will take off if you slip the clutch a little.
Yes there's no point in downchanging till you're stopped
Use the brakes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts