Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night was the first ride of any significant length that my fiance was on the back of my XR since i had the passenger backrest and luggage rack replaced under the recall. She tells me that the backrest pad sits quite a bit lower and the angle of it is much more severe (leaning back) than the old one. Obviously I don't have the old one to compare this one to but when I swapped them at the dealer I didn't notice anything unusual about the new one. I'm in the process of reworking the backrest to make it fit her more like the old one did but I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar experience with the post recall backrest?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
My wife just isn't very comfortable with how far back she sits from me. But then, she is only 105lbs.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I had padding added to make her sit more upright and then had it recovered. I think it cost me like $50

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Yes, this was a common comment on the new "3 hole" style rest when it first came. I have stuck with the 2 hole for this reason. I'm not going to rework a new rest that should not have been changed in the first place (backrest angle). She already thinks it is too far back, so she doesn't put much weight on it. If it were further back, she would hate it.
Happy wife, Happy life
There were comments on the backrest recall page IIRC

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, this was a common comment on the new "3 hole" style rest when it first came. I have stuck with the 2 hole for this reason. I'm not going to rework a new rest that should not have been changed in the first place (backrest angle). She already thinks it is too far back, so she doesn't put much weight on it. If it were further back, she would hate it.
Happy wife, Happy life
There were comments on the backrest recall page IIRC
Well, at least she can feel validated that something actually did change. Sucks that they altered the design of the pad. Apparently I missed the comments in the other thread. Thankfully I was able to shift it up by using the bottom two bolt holes in the pad with the top two nuts in the bracket so it's a little more comfortable for her, we just have to put something extra at the top so it's not so leaned back. I tested it and it's sturdy enough to keep my 250lb ass from falling off the back even with a good hard shove against it so I'm not worried about her for this weekend's trip but I'll definitely have to have it reworked.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I noticed a visible difference just removing it from the box , the pad and cover are definitely a different design ....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hmmm - I bought the "Pre-recall" backrest from eBay and was going to take to dealer to 'cash in' on the recall. I don't have the luggage rack and was debating getting a pre-recall one of those too before heading to the dealer.

My wife doesn't mind the current backrest, but I don't think she'd be comfortable with the new one. Since I heard the only downside of the recalled backrest is when the luggage rack is installed/used, perhaps I just keep the setup I have.

Appreciate this thread. Gives me something to think about.

D.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sent an inquiry to daves upholstery in oakville yesterday to see about having the pad reshaped so we'll see what he comes back with for an estimate and lead time. In the interim, looks like we'll be stuffing a couple socks or something in there for our trip this weekend.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I never noticed a difference and neither has my wife. She complaines about having too much room with the old and new backrest. She was actually more comfortable on my last bike, a Suzuki M50.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts