Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is a new thing for me but the last two times I took my bike out for a decent ride (like more than 20 miles), I've been fine the whole time. Get home, park the bike, and within 30 minutes all I want to do is nap. I'm used to this happening after a long cold ride but it's never occurred when the temps are up over 60 or so. Anyone else experience post ride fatigue and if so what do you do to combat it?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Way to many variables to even guess at.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I'm pretty tired at the end of a 500 mile day...

Hydration is less about what you drink today and more about what you drank yesterday. Drink lots of water. Eat breakfast (something healthy).

I don't drink enough water and drink way too much coffee (and vodka too) so if I have a hard day tomorrow I try to be good today and hydrate myself. I still like to stop and walk around every 100 to 120 miles just to stay more alert.

If you're getting tired after 20 miles, maybe it's just that riding relaxes you and takes away stress.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Allergies affect as many as 50 million Americans, and fatigue is a common side effect.

Consider how much air is going up your nose and the various particles that can be affecting you physically.

20 miles of various types of air... dusty, dirty, musty, and so on.

Taking a non-drowsy antihistamine an hour before you ride could help.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
I think you're just bored..should find something else to do.and should give me your motorcycle...thumb up:)

On the serious side....I have heard that some people just get sleepy from fresh air/wind. are you sleeping well at night ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Now I'm not sure what your setup is (since I'm using the phone app and mine doesn't say), but I noticed for myself in the past, when I didn't have a windshield/fairing I was more tired after every ride. So I contribute much of that to my body taking a beating from the wind as I rode. Now that I have an XC I don't have that problem post ride at all, due to the wind blockage.

Just my input, but everyone else's comments are big factors as well.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments guys, some good insight. Hydration is a factor I had not previously considered so I might just try chugging a bit more water on the regular to see if that helps. The bike has a windscreen when needed (it did yesterday but no on my previous longer ride) so I don't know that wind is a major contributor but it could be. Allergies are a definite factor but I'm on a daily antihistamine whether I ride or not. I definitely have not been sleeping well over the last few weeks which has left me more tired in general than normal so maybe the riding just exacerbates that condition. All things I will have to look into and see what I can do to improve.

As for being bored, nah, I love my bikes and riding in general. Each one has a specific use and gets ridden the way it was meant to be. The vic is for slower rides or 2-up with the mrs. and the honda and aprilia come out when I want to hoon a bit.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
As others have indicated there are quite a few factors that contribute to fatigue. I'll add a couple more of what are really the basics.

Physical condition plays a very big part in how our body responds to just the stresses of living. The lack of activity is known to cause aches and pains after performing even minor exercise. Get active. All it takes is 20 minutes a day and anyone can do it. Do an internet search for 'body weight workouts' and start today. It really is quite easy to get back in some resemblance of good condition no matter what our age.

Ergonomics also plays a part in how fast you feel fatigue. Whether it be at work, home or on the bike, be cognizant of the pressures on your body. With a stock handlebar, my neck, shoulders and back in general took a lot of downward weight at slow speed and backward pressure at high speed. Not pleasant in as little as half an hour. If you are not properly balanced you will get tired and sometimes stiff or in pain. A big factor at some work-sites and a lot of money and time goes into getting it right. It's also a big reason the average sport bike riders don't take long tours.

Start with the basics.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The only time I am slightly worn out after a ride is after a 120 miles of 85MPH down the super slab.
My Boardwalk is by far the most comfortable bike of the last 5 I have owned.
On any given weekend when I have time and nothing else to do it is not uncommon for me to put 300 miles on the odometer on Saturday and another 300 on Sunday, after a weekend like that the only thing worn out is my wallet.

·
Premium Member
13,709 Posts
The only time I am slightly worn out after a ride is after a 120 miles of 85MPH down the super slab.
My Boardwalk is by far the most comfortable bike of the last 5 I have owned.
On any given weekend when I have time and nothing else to do it is not uncommon for me to put 300 miles on the odometer on Saturday and another 300 on Sunday, after a weekend like that the only thing worn out is my wallet.
Your BW is really a beautiful bike. If Victory had been wise enough to keep the Kingpin name with it; it would still be with us. I'm still blown away by that decision. I always wonder who made it. Obviously someone who is more business than motorcyclist. Otherwise they would have known how important it is to maintain heritage when such a good model is made. Sad really. One can only hope they learned from this mistake and corrects it asap.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Even if your ride is a luxobarge you are still balancing hundreds of pounds of iron at murderous speeds in an environment that is determined to shred you like cheddar. The physics do nothing to conserve energy and mother nature does not often come to your party with the gift of perfect conditions. Exhaustion is just before exhilaration in the dictionary.

Besides, pretty much my favorite things are riding and napping. I'm not seeing the downside unless you are combining the two.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Really can be a number of things. I work in nutrition could be hydration also could go all the way to low T. I'd make sure you have water maybe even go a step further get some amino acids and see if that helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts