Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the anti-freeze green bike and I'm working on blacking out the motor, bars ect... I've checked on just swapping out the chrome side engine covers for black but they don't exactly match the motor casing. The dealer mechanic is sckeptical of powder coating, any suggestions or experience with powder coating. I've already upgraded to the black Tri-Ovals so I'm kinda commited now.

·
Registered
336 Posts
What do you mean by chrome side engine covers? I wouldn't be too concerned about trying to do an exact match on every part. I have seen some custom bikes that have been a mix of flat and gloss black on different parts and it came out very nice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by chrome side engine covers? I wouldn't be too concerned about trying to do an exact match on every part. I have seen some custom bikes that have been a mix of flat and gloss black on different parts and it came out very nice.
Primary cover, Cam Cover and the Sprocket cover. I checked Witch Doctor and it's much cheaper to powder coat just don't know anyone who has used them for powder coating. I've bought parts from them and had no trouble but this is a little different.

·
13,003 Posts
Not knowing where you live.
If its any kind of good size city first look for a chrome plater and ask them what they charge for stripping your chrome off. Sand blasting can be done but you have to be carefully. Power coating will not stick to chrome.
Find a power coater and ask to see samples. Some will have a orange peal look to them and they will tell you if you want it smooth sand it and they will re power coat it but they will charge you for it.
Power coating has to be placed in a oven to bake the power on. So no plastic

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Primary cover, Cam Cover and the Sprocket cover. I checked Witch Doctor and it's much cheaper to powder coat just don't know anyone who has used them for powder coating. I've bought parts from them and had no trouble but this is a little different.
I have used WD for powder coating a few times . No complaints and turn around time in all instances , less then 7 days ....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mr.Green..I have a 2011 White that was chromed out and I powered coated everything that was chrome and went to black no problems. They biggest thing is you have scotch pad everything and make sure there is no wax or anything else on it.

Oh and if you are worried about the blacks not matching they won't. Unless you split the cases and do them also..But its not that big of deal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mr.Green..I have a 2011 White that was chromed out and I powered coated everything that was chrome and went to black no problems. They biggest thing is you have scotch pad everything and make sure there is no wax or anything else on it.

Oh and if you are worried about the blacks not matching they won't. Unless you split the cases and do them also..But its not that big of deal.
Thanks for the advise, I'll check with the local guys and speak to WD Monday for specifics.

·
Registered
336 Posts

Couldn't agree more. Prep is the key, but anyone local who has been doing PC for more than a month, has probably already figured that out. In particular, anyone who deals with cars, trucks and bikes.

My suggestion when you head to the powdercoater is to make sure that you have EVERYTHING that you want coated. This includes any nuts and bolts you might want done and any other parts on the bike that might not be part of the at the moment project but will be later. Like painters, powdercoat guys prefer bigger batches and will price accordingly.

I am spoiled by my local guy, but make sure that whoever is doing it takes some time to block off any threaded areas unless you want to clean out every single part with a thread or that a thread goes into. You still might have to do a little bit of clean up, but if they spray inside of a threaded hole, it is a time consuming PITA to chase them all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts