Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I got a trip planned next week in an area of the country that is extremely scenic but at the same time not very populated as well as no cell service, I will actually have to carry extra gas for this trip. My bike on the other hand is running like a champ but at the same time I prefer to play on the side of caution. To the question , with my bike running the power commander 5 what are my options of getting the bike to run off the stock ecu if I have any problems with the power commander? Do I need to completely remove it from the harness plus power and ground and injector connectors ?

Premium Member
My PCV has been installed for the past 48K miles with zero issues. Relax friend, you'll be fine unless something was done wrong with the installation that has you nervous. For that matter, your fuel pump could go out as could your CPU or your headlight, a dry wall screw could puncture a tire sidewall or your drive belt could break. Many things 'could' go wrong. You can't chase or plan for them all or you'd very likely never leave the house.

Enjoy the journey, take a credit card with room on it for emergency's and sign up for AAA RV Plus if you haven't already done so. With AAA RV Plus they'll tow your bike up to 200 miles. See, no need to bring excessive tools or parts. Just ride, have fun, be cautions and repeat as often as possible.

Registered
I don't know if pulling the power to the PCV makes it default to an unmodified state - they could tell you & it may say in the manual? If you just take the PCV out of the loop by connecting the original injector M/F connectors back together, that takes it out of the loop & everything runs as original.
That being said, they seem pretty reliable!
Have a good trip!

XC, KP, & Custom MuscleVic in Boise

Registered
Depending on how they are wired you might need to disconnect all of it for bike to run. No experience with them just speculating.

Registered
This thread made me curious about how to handle a PC-V failure on the road.
I messaged Dyno-jet to find out. My question and their answer are below.

From me:
Have 2 bikes with PC-V'sNeither bike is so heavily modified that it could not be run without damage without the power commander. They are just there to improve the way it runs.If I am traveling and the PC-V were to fail on my bike must I remove it completely or will just removing the power to it or the ground to it take it out of the loop and allow the bike to run off the original mapping in the ECM so I can complete my trip?What is the easiest way to get it out of the engine management loop and get on with my trip?

Their reply:
Hello Joe. If the Power Commander V physically failed, you would have to completely remove it from the connections on the bike. The PCV intercepts the signals going to the injectors and takes over control of firing the injectors, so if it fails, the injectors will not fire. You would have to remove and plug everything back in as it was stock.

Keith Lockliear
Technical Support Manager
Dynojet Research, Inc.
Free: (800)992-3525

It only took them a few hours to answer my question which was pleasantly surprising.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
This thread made me curious about how to handle a PC-V failure on the road.
I messaged Dyno-jet to find out. My question and their answer are below.

From me:
Have 2 bikes with PC-V'sNeither bike is so heavily modified that it could not be run without damage without the power commander. They are just there to improve the way it runs.If I am traveling and the PC-V were to fail on my bike must I remove it completely or will just removing the power to it or the ground to it take it out of the loop and allow the bike to run off the original mapping in the ECM so I can complete my trip?What is the easiest way to get it out of the engine management loop and get on with my trip?

Their reply:
Hello Joe. If the Power Commander V physically failed, you would have to completely remove it from the connections on the bike. The PCV intercepts the signals going to the injectors and takes over control of firing the injectors, so if it fails, the injectors will not fire. You would have to remove and plug everything back in as it was stock.

Keith Lockliear
Technical Support Manager
Dynojet Research, Inc.
Free: (800)992-3525

It only took them a few hours to answer my question which was pleasantly surprising.
I did my trip and before I left I sent the same sort of email to PC and when I stopped in a town where I could get a signal on phone checked my emails and I got the same response back as you did.
So as I said did the 1100 km day trip with no issues.

Registered
It is unlikely to have any issues if all the connections are secure. I assume these connect to factory harness and not cutting wires. Just ride and not worry about it. :)

Glad you had no issues on your trip.

Registered
I did my trip and before I left I sent the same sort of email to PC and when I stopped in a town where I could get a signal on phone checked my emails and I got the same response back as you did.
So as I said did the 1100 km day trip with no issues.
The PC-V seems to be pretty reliable but I never did like the connectors that went on the injectors.
They were a cheaper plug, Looked like they can get wet in an extended driving rain storm. Mine didn't have any sort of latch like the stock ones did which didn't inspire confidence either.

I packed mine with silicon electrical grease for that reason. If I was traveling and I had an issue with a cylinder misfiring after being in a driving rain I would suspect one of those connectors had water in it and be sure they didn't t before pulling the whole thing off.

Registered
1 - 16 of 16 Posts