Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with a XR or HB ever install a powerlet into the right saddlebag? If so, what connector on the bike did you hook it up to?

Are these standard with the XC and XCT? if so, can anyone please tell me which connector it hooks up to?

Appreciate the help.. I am think of moving over to heated gear

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Anyone with a XR or HB ever install a powerlet into the right saddlebag? If so, what connector on the bike did you hook it up to?

Are these standard with the XC and XCT? if so, can anyone please tell me which connector it hooks up to?

I recommend this piece of literature: http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=6364. ;)

·
Registered
848 Posts

If your are looking for a interface for heated gear, I recommend coming straight from the battery.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
this was what i needed, thanks. maybe a stupid question on the fact that it's constant power.

If I have a heated power plug in, but it's not connected to any heated gear, will it still drain battery?
Nope. If nothing is sucking up power, it will not. Of course, this all changes if you ever mistakenly forget something plugged in. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope. If nothing is sucking up power, it will not. Of course, this all changes if you ever mistakenly forget something plugged in. ;)
Thanks. That'll work perfectly for my heated gear.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Has anyone tried this on the CrossRoads Classic saddle bags. There is no actual recess for a power plug and putting a powerlet through the side of the bag looks a little tight.

Phone keeps running out of juice before I do....

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I set mine up from a plug that is under the seat. Actually way at the back just under the fender. The fuse is under the right side cover. I believe its a 20 amp. I bought a plug at a local auto parts that had a mounting bracket on it. So I took that and just hung it inside the right bag. There was enough clearance in the bag cover for me to plug it in while I ride. It worked perfect for charging the intercom while I was riding. Although you can see the wire coming from under the seat into the bag it didn't really bother me. It's not like I have eyes up my....well you know!!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts

I installed a Powerlet outlet specifically for heated gear... through the left side cover. I describe this mod in detail in this gallery of pics, captions, and parts:

http://www.billanddot.com/victory-xct-powerlet-in-side-cover/

I realize that permanently altering stock tupperware is not everyone's cup of tea, but I think it came out great, i.e., I definitely pleased myself (as Ricky Nelsen sang).

As I note in that gallery, I used that same position -- below my left thigh -- for five years with my Burgman, and still think that that's the best position for a heated gear outlet. I connect my gear's coax plug with a coiled cord (like old telephones used to have) that has a coax on one end and a male Powerlet on the other.

The outlet is wired directly to the battery, with an in-line fuse. This direct connection also lets me use that outlet for my battery tender, the end of which I put another male Powerlet outlet on. (Yep, I know I could use the dash outlet on my XCT, or use an SAE connector, etc., but I find just popping in a Powerlet is easier.)

Just another way of approaching this, in case anyone's interested.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That looks good, wspollack. I went the easier route by mounting the Powerlet Victory Primary Case Bracket Kit (p/n: PKT-065) and also got a Heated Liner Power Cable (p/n: PPC-005) as a Powerlet <> coaxial adapter.

As for power in the right hardbag, I think I used the same Powerlet plug kit that you used for your side panel (p/n: PSO-008, I believe) and powered it from the auxiliary power connection under the rear fender. I also added a fuse and a quick disconnect so the hardbag can be removed easy. The Powerlet plug didn't really require any modification to the port in the hardbag other than cutting out the center of the rubber plug (to use as a seal) and I sandwiched that between two brass bushings that I got at the hardware store.

Never mind how dirty the bike is! :)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
That looks good, wspollack. I went the easier route by mounting the Powerlet Victory Primary Case Bracket Kit (p/n: PKT-065) and also got a Heated Liner Power Cable (p/n: PPC-005) as a Powerlet <> coaxial adapter.

As for power in the right hardbag, I think I used the same Powerlet plug kit that you used for your side panel (p/n: PSO-008, I believe) and powered it from the auxiliary power connection under the rear fender. I also added a fuse and a quick disconnect so the hardbag can be removed easy. The Powerlet plug didn't really require any modification to the port in the hardbag other than cutting out the center of the rubber plug (to use as a seal) and I sandwiched that between two brass bushings that I got at the hardware store.

Never mind how dirty the bike is! :)
Hey, Pecos, it's all good. And thanks for the link for the quick-disconnect -- I may get a few of those, just on general principles.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Powerlet install - 2014 CrossRoads Classic

Finally got around to doing this one this weekend.
2014 CrossRoads with leather saddlebags.

Purchased the Powerlet Luggage powering kit PTB-004 (Did not need the fused section of the lead)

http://www.powerlet.com/product/tankbag-or-saddlebag-kit-complete/288

Then I tracked down a nice easy power source instead of going direct to the battery terminals...
The grey/pink wire is a fused source under the right side panel and is designed for the powerlet assy on the Cross Country.
Found this in the electrical pdf.

Had to cut a 3/4 hole and do a little trimming on the receptacle to fit the ribs of the saddlebag. Only took a few minutes.

Wiring tucks neatly under seat and direct to a ground and then taps into a 20 Amp fused power source. Nice and easy.

Quick disconnect to remove saddlebags when needed.

This power source is always live and will allow a battery tender access later on.

Check out more images in the gallery for details.

http://www.victoryforums.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=785

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dagwood;1066681 Finally got around to doing this one this weekend. 2014 CrossRoads with leather saddlebags. Purchased the Powerlet Luggage powering kit PTB-004 (Did not need the fused section of the lead)[/QUOTE said:
Great stuff Dagwood - it looks like the hard bags would work well too.

Do you think that quick disconnect is weatherproof enough?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great stuff Dagwood - it looks like the hard bags would work well too.

Do you think that quick disconnect is weatherproof enough?
Powerlet quickdisconnect is a solid connection. Seems to be no problem with weather/wet.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I did this , total cost was 19.95 for a powerlet socket , thanks to RICZ for the mounting plate , and he can send you one for a minimal fee :D.

IMG_2207.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

Power wires are all under the fender ready to go !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts