Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've only had my '02 a couple months and not really actively looking for another Vic, but... I see some pre-Freedom's coming up on CL for pretty cheap. Including SC's which have a lot of appeal to me. Understand the early tranny problems - my question is how many miles is considered "safe" to conclude you probably aren't gonna have a tranny issue? Are there specific questions to ask (e.g. warranty repair performed, etc) to help decide if one of these "deals" is really a deal worth pursuing?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
13,294 Posts
I think you pretty much answered your own question about the Hammer engines. Just ask them if the transmission warranty work was done. Like you said; not all of them really needed it. Seemed like the luck of the draw kinda thing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think you pretty much answered your own question about the Hammer engines. Just ask them if the transmission warranty work was done. Like you said; not all of them really needed it. Seemed like the luck of the draw kinda thing.
Yeah, but if it wasn't done... and the bike has 12k miles... what do you conclude? That it has a good tranny and isn't gonna fail, or it doesn't have enough miles on to crap out yet if it is likely to, so you really don't know anything? How many miles are enough to feel "safe"?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I had 30,000 on mine when i sold it, and it is still going

·
Premium Member
4,893 Posts
You need to figure out when the trans was upgraded and only buy bikes later than that... built after the update/upgrade was incorporated. 2002 and up should be ok (I think). Maybe ask one of the Vic Gurus like Kevin, Ryland, Lloyd...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to figure out when the trans was upgraded and only buy bikes later than that... built after the update/upgrade was incorporated. 2002 and up should be ok (I think). Maybe ask one of the Vic Gurus like Kevin, Ryland, Lloyd...
Yeah, it's just that there's a couple SC's available locally for good price, and I think they're pretty cool. One with 12k, one with 20k. The 12k guy one said it never had a tranny warranty repair, but knows the history of the bike and it's been fine. The 20k didn't know much about the history, but it's working fine now.

Of course they never made SC's with the Freedom engine...

·
Premium Member
13,294 Posts
I think that's referring to V92's in general. Most references i can find suggest SC's were only available in '00 and '01.
Looks like you're right of course. I drilled down further and can't find any SC's after 2001. Some info sites don't even give any Victory info before 2004 like that's when Victory started in their eyes.

This 1999 SC has been fixed up nice. This 2000 looks like it has a 2-1 Thunderheader exhaust. Very popular on HD's and give good HP and only $2k with 8k miles. Great buy if the trans holds up.

Your call of course but maybe, considering the upgrades and stuff, a 2002-2003 would be the better buy even if they cost a bit more or you have to wait for one in your area to become available.

I'm sorry to say, unless the trans upgrade was done, I don't think anyone can guarantee any of the early Vic's will not have trans trouble. You just have to roll the dice unfortunately. I know that's not what you want to hear but it is likely the most honest feedback you will get about it.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
You pays your money , you takes your chances,
only guarantees in life are death and taxes.

Consider yourselves fortunate you can get onto low mileage early Vics at all.
Downunder theyre like rocking horse ****.
Go for it I say...do regular oil changes and learn to shift the way a Vic likes to be shifted.
Good Luck in your quest.

I do hear its possible to retro fit a Freedom powerplant into an early with a few mods if it does soil its nappy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your call of course but maybe, considering the upgrades and stuff, a 2002-2003 would be the better buy even if they cost a bit more or you have to wait for one in your area to become available.

I'm sorry to say, unless the trans upgrade was done, I don't think anyone can guarantee any of the early Vic's will not have trans trouble. You just have to roll the dice unfortunately. I know that's not what you want to hear but it is likely the most honest feedback you will get about it.
I already have my '02 Deluxe which I've come to love so I'm in good shape, there's just this thing about my character that thinks "anything worth doing is worth overdoing"... Anyway, I guess I'm not really serious about picking up another one right now, I just like the SC's and seeing them so cheap, it raised the question in my mind... Although if there was an answer that said "if it's gonna fail, it would happen in the first 10k", I probably would pick one up. I think I could likely snag one for under $2k.

·
Registered
813 Posts
You are not going to find a Hammer motor without the possibility of having the transmission problem, but I don't think this is going to be your only bike, so get one and have fun, worst case you end up having to put a freedom motor in down the road or have Rylan at the Vicshop put a 2004 or newer transmission in the hammer motor. I think you will enjoy the bike, I know I did for many a year, and the guy who owns it now does as well.

·
Premium Member
13,294 Posts
I already have my '02 Deluxe which I've come to love so I'm in good shape, there's just this thing about my character that thinks "anything worth doing is worth overdoing"... Anyway, I guess I'm not really serious about picking up another one right now, I just like the SC's and seeing them so cheap, it raised the question in my mind... Although if there was an answer that said "if it's gonna fail, it would happen in the first 10k", I probably would pick one up. I think I could likely snag one for under $2k.
I hear ya. Having two bikes is cool and you can always work on one while riding the other if need be. Like was said; go for it. You may never have trouble with it and if you do; it's fixable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hear ya. Having two bikes is cool and you can always work on one while riding the other if need be. Like was said; go for it. You may never have trouble with it and if you do; it's fixable.
Umm... who said anything about "just" 2 bikes? This would just be 2 Vic's. There's a whole stable of non-Vic's already...:wink

It could be said I have a problem. In fact, my wife does repeatedly.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Glad you take no notice of her :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts