Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While we have a good bitch session going :)

What's up with the pre pay pump thing. Where am I going with 7 - 22 bucks in gas.

Same station same guy behind the counter ....seen me for years.

I push the intercom..... "Hey bud can you turn the pump on just want to top it up .... Not sure if its going to take seven or ten buck"

Answer .... I can't do that sir ...if I do it for you I have to do it for everyone.

I drive away :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
only time I had to prepay for gas lately was on my way to the black Hills, stopped at this backwater mom & pop gas station outside Sioux Falls............................oh and if you ever go there. DONT eat or use their bathroom..........place was nasty!!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
i stopped at a station in knoxville last summer and went in and asked the guy to turn the pumps on to fill up, ha said i would have to pre pay first, i said i'll just lay my gloves and helmet here and come get them and pay. nope, have to pre pay in cash. so i gave him 20.00 and filled up then came back in and got my change, what a pain this pre pay crap is. i guess i'll have to do like everyone else and start paying at the pump with a card, the worst place for credit card theft there is according to the experts.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i stopped at a station in knoxville last summer and went in and asked the guy to turn the pumps on to fill up, ha said i would have to pre pay first, i said i'll just lay my gloves and helmet here and come get them and pay. nope, have to pre pay in cash. so i gave him 20.00 and filled up then came back in and got my change, what a pain this pre pay crap is. i guess i'll have to do like everyone else and start paying at the pump with a card, the worst place for credit card theft there is according to the experts.
Consider buying a prepaid card. That way when you will only lose what you have on the card and the thief can't get any personal information. I have had my credit card stolen twice in 4 years and it sucks.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Consider buying a prepaid card. That way when you will only lose what you have on the card and the thief can't get any personal information. I have had my credit card stolen twice in 4 years and it sucks.
thats a great idea, i only have one credit card and rarely use it, i prefer cash, but its a real pain especially when riding with a group and i'm always the guy everybody is waiting on to pre pay then get his change back. i had never even thought of a prepaid card.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I always use my credit card.......it's not linked to my bank accounts so if it gets hacked who cares? Once, my CC company called and asked if I was really in Africa buying airline tickets to Italy.....uh.... Mmmmmmmm.... Noooooooo!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry guys but yet again its because of dirt bags that everything has to be harder on everybody. They have a huge problem with drive offs (pump and leave without paying). Here in MD most of the Sheets and Wawa stores have “pump start cards" which are used kind of like a CC but only gives the machine the information you provided via drivers license when you got the card. Swipe the card, pump starts then you go pay, if you drive off without paying they know where to send the police.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
They suck because you are either going to pay for too much gas or too little gas. Too much is ok because you can get your change back but too little and you aren't going to make it to the next pump in some parts of the country.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
On long trips I just use my credit card and pay it off when we get home. Don't have to worry about cashflow in the checking account, and don't have to worry about someone hijacking my liquid assets. Had that happen once, but it was full-on bank fraud combined with incompetence rather than credit card theft. Don't have to pack cash around, don't have to carry change, don't have to even go inside if I don't want to.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The problem with pre-pay with a card is that it "authorizes" a set amount; anywhere between $50 and $100. That amount is unusable by you until the actual charge gets to your bank/credit card account. I don't mind when I'm going to be filling up to close to that amount; But, it really bothers me when I'm only going to put $10 in the tank and the initial "authorization" is for $100. For a week, sometimes longer, that $90 difference between the "authorization" and the actual charge are not available for me to use.

I always use cash when filling up the bikes. I almost always use a card when filling up the truck. Big difference between 3-4 gallons of gas & 30+ gallons of diesel; plus, I don't carry enough cash to fill up the truck!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I usually pay cash unless I'm on a long road trip. Figure that it is the oil companies way of making me get my 'exercise'. Ha! Ha!

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
What's cash?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Annoying no matter what. However, some gas stations give you a discount if you pay cash, and only give you the discount if you pre-pay.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The way I see it we should be able to bump our heads against the pump and use that little chip they installed in our heads when were sleeping..... And the funds should just come off our pay cheques. Lmao

·
13,003 Posts
reason for a lot of prepay is cause they don't have cameras and for bikes they can not see you license plate

1 - 20 of 22 Posts