Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, this is new terminology for me. I did some searching on the forum, but I don't get it...what does preloading the shifter mean? I've seen many statements that say this leads to smoother/quieter shifts?

I pull throttle down, pull the clutch, shift. I didn't know that was an option.

Thanks
Adam

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
It means lightly lifting up on the shifter to put the components under tension before you actually shift. Takes the slack out of the shift components and makes for a smoother shift (in my opinion).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It means lightly lifting up on the shifter to put the components under tension before you actually shift. Takes the slack out of the shift components and makes for a smoother shift (in my opinion).
So something like this?

Pressure on shifter
throttle down
clutch
shift

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
You're getting closer spyshot. Two more things will help: 1. Minimal movement of the throttle. There's no need to snap it back to the stops. 2. Adjust the shift lever downward so that when you slip your boot under, it partially takes up the slack. that give your foot more leverage.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're getting closer spyshot. Two more things will help: 1. Minimal movement of the throttle. There's no need to snap it back to the stops. 2. Adjust the shift lever downward so that when you slip your boot under, it partially takes up the slack. that give your foot more leverage.
thanks! I'm learning how to ride a motorcycle all over again!

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
Next lesson....Push left to turn left. Push right to turn right. :)

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
That tight of a shift lever adjustment could cause the shift ratchet to fail to reset between gears from time to time.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
That tight of a shift lever adjustment could cause the shift ratchet to fail to reset between gears from time to time.
Key word; partially. I have 38K on my bike and its been adjusted that way since new. I ride a lot of twisty roads and do a lot of shifting - so far so good. From what I see on this forum, methinks the 2011 and older transmissions have fewer frailties.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Key word; partially. I have 38K on my bike and its been adjusted that way since new. I ride a lot of twisty roads and do a lot of shifting - so far so good. From what I see on this forum, methinks the 2011 and older transmissions have fewer frailties.
I dunno about that. I've got 122,000 on mine, ride twisties when I can, and I never do any of that stuff.

·
Super Moderator
4,973 Posts
Smooth shifting on the Victory crashbox, kind of an oxymoron.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
I dunno about that. I've got 122,000 on mine, ride twisties when I can, and I never do any of that stuff.
Its never too late to learn. :grin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts