Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a cheap bastard, I love to spend money and get things but I'll always go for the price over quality. Or should I say I'll buy the least expensive item that is going to fit my needs. In my later years I've noticed a shift in my "thinking" about what I buy.
Let's talk motorcycle gear, what I've realized is that by cheaping out, I've given up a lot of comfort, functionality and reliability. As an example, I bought premium TCX Gore-Tex lined riding boots...The are super comfortable, completely waterproof and show no real ware after thousands of miles use. I would have gone through two pairs of the $100 SWAT boots I used to use by now and had wet feet...I've tried several cheaper "rain gloves" NONE of them ever kept my hands dry/warm. I decided to invest in a pair of true Gore-Tex gloves. They came in yesterday, I put them on and ran them under the kitchen sink full blast for a few minutes...hands perfectly dry.

Too the real point of this post cheers...I have several "non-premium" helmets I bought over the years, none of them fit all my wants and needs. So I started looking where I'd never go before...Premium Helmets.. ;) I've been going to shops, fit testing and eyeballing these Arai's and Shoei's(I know there's other premium brands but these two make proper touring helmets and offer shapes to fit my head) and damn it, I'm impressed. I've found the right bucket and something I didn't know I wanted an integrated comms system..
Shoei GT-Air 2 with the Sena SRL2 ... If I'm dropping big bucks I have to get the graphic that reverse matches my bike, just have too....The helmet and comms will cost ~$960 ...This is big hump for a chronically cheap bastard like me to get over. But if it proves out like the other premium gear I've purchased it'll be worth it in the long run..

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Hope it works out for you. The last time I tried on a Shoei, it fit great but I didn't want to spend that much money on it. I may rethink this.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Helmets are disposable so I'm not sure that I would spend that much. I typically max out around $300. I've always read to replace a helmet every 5 years and I'm just too cheap to spend that much.

Other gear items I have no issues spending more. My cheap jackets and gloves have lasted fine 7 years and probably be fine several more years.

I too am in the SWAT style boot club, never tried actual motorcycle boots. I've been in crazy rain though with zero problems this season.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hope it works out for you. The last time I tried on a Shoei, it fit great but I didn't want to spend that much money on it. I may rethink this.
We know the bell didn't quite fit BUT I'll have the freshly shampooed XL Shoei Quest for sale soon enough and you'll think nothing of the cost ;) if it fits you.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Helmets are disposable so I'm not sure that I would spend that much. I typically max out around $300. I've always read to replace a helmet every 5 years and I'm just too cheap to spend that much.

Other gear items I have no issues spending more. My cheap jackets and gloves have lasted fine 7 years and probably be fine several more years.

I too am in the SWAT style boot club, never tried actual motorcycle boots. I've been in crazy rain though with zero problems this season.
I thought the same way, but like I said that's changing. At least in the case of motorcycle gear I'm finding spending more up front is better.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I was with you. I was buying cheap helmets and jacket and such that just didn't last. I ponied up for the Shark EVO-line and couldn't be happier. Same thing with jackets .. I was buying clearance models and finally bought the Victory hybrid leather/mesh jacket with all the armour and it's been great. Now .. onto boots and pants and gloves!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I was with you. I was buying cheap helmets and jacket and such that just didn't last. I ponied up for the Shark EVO-line and couldn't be happier. Same thing with jackets .. I was buying clearance models and finally bought the Victory hybrid leather/mesh jacket with all the armour and it's been great. Now .. onto boots and pants and gloves!

Evoline was my last helmet but it got old. Moved on to the LS2 Valiant. They took the same concept and made it better.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

Nothing like good gear for all those laps around the yard ...with the lawn mower :ltr:

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Have you looked into the Shoei Neotech modular, since you have a "Shoei Head?" I find mine not only comfortable, but also so quiet, I seldom use ear plugs - just for longer rides.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you looked into the Shoei Neotech modular, since you have a "Shoei Head?" I find mine not only comfortable, but also so quiet, I seldom use ear plugs - just for longer rides.
Yes, but the Neotech 2 is heavier and more expensive than the GT-Air2...Plus I'm not a fan of modular helmets, for me they have no real use.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:eek I woke up in a panic this morning, realizing I dropped a $1000+ on a helmet and comms :| The Cheap-Bastard is back...
So what to do?...A bit more research and I find a helmet that has all the same features and head shape as the GT-Air II but costs hundreds less and is lighter. I don't know why I didn't do this in the first place, I guess I was all stary-eyed over the red on black striping ....lol
Scorpion EXO-ST1400 Carbon

I ordered the Shoei \ Sena via Amazon Prime so returns are free and easy....This morning I went ahead and ordered the Scorpion through Prime, both will be here tomorrow and I'll make a decision. This Scorpion helmet is premium gear and I'll just stick with my tried and true SMH10 comms if I use it. It all comes down to fit, as long as the Scorpion is comfortable its a keeper. If it doesn't fit well, I keep the Shoei, but return the SRL2 comms. As much as I like the integrated comm unit...Cheap-Bastard says use what you have and save the $300...

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
I have worn Scorpion helmets and found them to be better quality that the price tag would indicate. I had a modular that had a malfunction with the latches, I phoned them and they sent out a replacement front piece right away.

·
Registered
891 Posts
With toys or tools I always buy the best I can afford at the time and that has served me very well over the years. I'm not one to go by the manufacturer recommended lifetime of a helmet any more than the recommended lifetime of a drive belt or anything else someone is trying to sell more of.

My last helmet was an Arai I got on sale that lasted about 8 years. Still in good condition but the cheek pads were torn and I couldn't get replacements. Something you can't do with the cheaper brands. When I went looking for a replacement earlier this year the fit of the Arai was still the best for me. And again, another sale. The Vector II is discontinued so the dealer had one in my size for half price and it feels great. Shiny black instead of flat black but for $450 I'll suffer. First thing I did was order replacement cheek pads while they are available so I'll easily get another 10 years.

$450. 10 years. $45/ month. $12/week. $6/ride. 2¢/mile.

One of the cheapest parts of riding. A lots less than fuel or oil.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
53canuck;256328$450. 10 years. $45/ month. $12/week. $6/ride. 2¢/mile. One of the cheapest parts of riding. A lots less than fuel or oil.[/QUOTE said:
I like the way you think--I do that too. :nerd

·
Registered
237 Posts
Nothing like good gear for all those laps around the yard ...with the lawn mower :ltr:
... Dick ... hahahaha ..

:eek I woke up in a panic this morning, realizing I dropped a $1000+ on a helmet and comms :| The Cheap-Bastard is back...
So what to do?...A bit more research and I find a helmet that has all the same features and head shape as the GT-Air II but costs hundreds less and is lighter. I don't know why I didn't do this in the first place, I guess I was all stary-eyed over the red on black striping ....lol
Scorpion EXO-ST1400 Carbon

I ordered the Shoei \ Sena via Amazon Prime so returns are free and easy....This morning I went ahead and ordered the Scorpion through Prime, both will be here tomorrow and I'll make a decision. This Scorpion helmet is premium gear and I'll just stick with my tried and true SMH10 comms if I use it. It all comes down to fit, as long as the Scorpion is comfortable its a keeper. If it doesn't fit well, I keep the Shoei, but return the SRL2 comms. As much as I like the integrated comm unit...Cheap-Bastard says use what you have and save the $300...
Now you'll just have to purchase some red vinyl and stripe it up like the bike!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Evoline was my last helmet but it got old. Moved on to the LS2 Valiant. They took the same concept and made it better.
Can you perhaps elaborate on this? I'm interested in hearing what your thoughts are specifically on the LS2 vs. the Evoline. I'm not particularly in the market right now, but I'd still like to hear your opinion!

·
Registered
266 Posts
$450. 10 years. $45/ month. $12/week. $6/ride. 2¢/mile.

One of the cheapest parts of riding. A lots less than fuel or oil.
Well, it’s even better if the math is corrected.

$450 / 10 years is $45 per year. That’s $3.75 per month or $0.87 a week.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Two awesome buckets, no doubt. The Shoei with that red stripe is even better in person and the Scorpion is also very slick with that Carbon finish.
Unfortunately, both are going back. The Scorpion is way too tight, even though the size chart clams its the same as the Shoei, which fit right. As good looking as the Shoei is its not worth $700 and I don't want to be tempted to drop another $260-300 on the integrated comms...
I'm debating buying a XL Scorpion EXO-1400 Carbon or an XL Arai Signet-X

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Are there no MC accessory stores in your area where you try before you buy and help keep them in business?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Are there no MC accessory stores in your area where you try before you buy and help keep them in business?
Cycle Gear and Doc's ...Believe me I help keep them in business ;) Doc's does not carry "high-end" helmets and they mostly geared toward the HD chrome crowd. Cycle Gear only carries Arai's up to L in stores for some reason and besides Shoei they don't retail anything else that fits me. CG did get me turned on to the GT-Air 2 but this time I saved $100 though Amazon(but its still too much for my Cheap Bastard self). Plus neither store is real convent for me to get too...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts