Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took my bike to the dealer to have the brake line recall done and he called me out into the shop... when he took the passenger floor board off he noticed my oil pressure switch connector was just hanging there’s. Apparently the kick stand had swung back too far and broke the little nipple for the connector off the switch. Just ordered a replacement.. it doesn’t look difficult to replace. I noticed marks on my frame from my kickstand. May e I need to gat one of the HOCKEY PUCK THINGS.? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hmm guess I'll look for that on mine.
I would assume by design it should not be hitting like that. Is your kickstand loose on it's mount?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm guess I'll look for that on mine.
I would assume by design it should not be hitting like that. Is your kickstand loose on it's mount?
No not loose at all. I would have never known this unless the dealer did the recall fix. I’m surprised the bike didn’t complain because it was disconnected.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I just looked at it and I don't see how it could possibly hit that.
Something funky there.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Not near a bike but is it possible the offending stand has bent?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not near a bike but is it possible the offending stand has bent?
I’m gonna look at that when I get the bike on the lift before I put new switch in

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Hockey puck stands won't prevent yer problem.

Take a good look at the wiring... check to see if the electrical harness has any slack at all. I've found, over time, the plastic stand-offs or loops that hold many of the small parts (and long lines like brake or electrical wiring) together get hard and brittle (and break). This may cause some damage as the parts hang down and hit things they're not intended to touch.

Pictures would help us in troubleshootin' yer problem...

thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I put the bike up on the lift and there is NOway the kickstand could have hit that part, physically impossible . So either I ran over somethin* and it flew up and hit the part ( very possible) OR the dealer broke it when he was doing the brake line recall fix. He is right at that point. I am leaning towards the dealer tech broke it. My wife says why would he bring it to my attention? Well to detract blame from him,is my thinking. So I will wait for the new part.
But I’m still baffled by why I get no warning light with the connector just hanging there

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Well I was going to say dealer did it but I thought you said there was other damage in the area.
Switch might go to ground when it is "bad" for the light and be open when "normal" so you would not have a light.
For curiosity I'll unplug mine later and see what it does.

·
13,002 Posts
JP
How much was the switch. If it was broke before hand your oil light would of been on. That's the same switch chevy has used for many many years Guessing $7 bucks at auto store.
Don't over screw it in

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JP
How much was the switch. If it was broke before hand your oil light would of been on. That's the same switch chevy has used for many many years Guessing $7 bucks at auto store.
Don't over screw it in
e
VJ switch is $17. The connector currently is just hanging there. No light on the dash. Strange if that is how they have it configure. Normally on a switch if you loose power it goes to it default state. In this case the d3fault is off? Makes no sense.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone have any idea why my oil light did not come on with the connector OFF the oil pressure switch?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I believe it was Gremlins :)

·
13,002 Posts
Tomarrow I'll go out and pull the wire off and see what it does.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
13,002 Posts
Went out and pulled wire off sender and turn key on. No oil light started bike No light. Hooked wire back up turned key on and then there was the red oil light started bike red light went out.
I know its a pressure switch but I though somehow a light would still come on. One time I had a drop of water on the connection and the light would stay on

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Went out and pulled wire off sender and turn key on. No oil light started bike No light. Hooked wire back up turned key on and then there was the red oil light started bike red light went out.
I know its a pressure switch but I though somehow a light would still come on. One time I had a drop of water on the connection and the light would stay on
well i think that the Oil pressure switch connector is the ground side of the Oil Pressure light. If the pressure increases, it causes the diaphragm to expand and make contact which in turn completes the path to ground, then the Red light comes on. So if the connector is off or falls off as in my case, the red light will never come on. I think when you had water on it, it completed the ground path, hence the light.
If i were designing this circuit i would put a relay in there with the fault state of the coil as off and use the normally closed contact so if you lose the wire to the relay the red light would come on. but that would add probably another $2.00 to the cost of the bike. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
JP, which dealer did you take it to? Was the one closer to me in VA or one in Roanoke? If it is the one closer to me then I can see why you may suspect them.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JP, which dealer did you take it to? Was the one closer to me in VA or one in Roanoke? If it is the one closer to me then I can see why you may suspect them.
The one in Roanoke.. who is the dealer you are talking about. Wytheville?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts