Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is the cost of a Cross road in Australia $10,000 to $15,000 Dollar's more that in America when the Australian dollar is worth more. It carn't be all shipping and import, plus tax. Just a thought. :confused:

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
It's because they have to build them differently so they'll run while upside down of course!

No really there shouldn't be that large of a price difference, I'm curious what a price breakdown would show.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Ammo, I have my thought's that the Dealers here in australia must be laughing all the way to the bank. I also would like to see the breakdown in cost's. I have done the sums and if i fly to the states buy a Cross road with all the add ons, ride around for a week and get the bike shipped home and pay all the shipping import plus tax I am still thousand's of dollars ahead plus i have had a holiday. I did alot of ringing around to find out all the cost's so here in Austrilia we are getting riped off. All the Best John.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Vics are made in the US. They have to be exported to get to OZ. ANYTHING exported cost more. Simply logistics. Now, one may be able to debate the cost of shipping but when was the last time you contracted for a US-OZ container? Also, the dealers in OZ have to have some way to recoup their investment, right?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
shipping

Back in 1980 a guy bought my 1978 Bonneville and shipped it to NewZealand from California. I believe he told me back then it was either $500 or $800 to ship it over there. It was many years ago sorry about the brain fartt, can't remember everything. Are they doing the same thing on prices with the Harleys? Harley does have other factories around the world so maybe they are cheaper???

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Speedblue, Yes HD's are even $15,000 to $20,000 more.Some shops sell for more and some sell for less, so shipping can not be to blame if the same bike from two shops can be thousands of dollars apart in price, i forgot the GREED factor

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
It sounds like it's a nice time for a bike buying vacation!

IMHO if it will save that much to go to the states, buy it yourself and ship it yourself than your should go for it!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hey johnny my dealer is pretty good at shipping if you would like i can look into seeing what they can do to help you out. Positive they would be more than willing to get you a great price.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Or, you come to the states buy a used one with the minimum miles to classify it as used, ship it home and pay half the taxes on it. When we used to race sprint cars we sold all kinds of parts, including tires to Aussie sprint car owners. They told us it was 50% cheaper that way, on taxes alone.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Dealer said since your not a us citizens that you can't buy one to ship home due to some agreement with polaris. I have further details to give you. I can basically have you a new cross roads shipped out to you for less than 3grand overthe motorcycle cost. Check your private messages.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you

Thank's to all of you that have posted, and as there is only 5 victory shop's In this Big country, the lack of place's to get a Cross road serviced I have decided to give it a miss and stick with my 1700 vulcan nomad, most of the add on's you pay for on the XR are standard on the nomad. So once again I thank you all cheers john.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey johney the problem of importing the bike is getting it registered, it would have to comply with ADR and state road worthyness. right now there is a guy trying to get a kingpin registered 2years and still not done. Reason, there is no one certified to do victorys.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Johney.....try this place and this bike out....its where I bought mine in January, and they say they have shipped bike thru out the world, from Dubai to Japan.

http://www.nationalpowersports.net/itemDetail.aspx?itemID=7547

I see there is also a new listing for a 2011 XR, just like the one I bought.....check them out!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts