Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
If you have never had it apart yourself, and I wouldn't thing you had, that should be covered on the warranty. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Your are not running too much oil are you? Mine is also seeping and was kind of like yours till I took out about 3/4 of a quart of oil. The dealer I bought my bike from did the 500 mile oil change and put too much in it. The dealership is 2 hours from my house and didn't realize he had over filled it till a few weeks later when I saw oil all over my primary. Went to check my oil and is was coming out of the fill hole. Took out the oil till I got it to the correct level but I am still having some weeping. Going to wait till I need an oil change before I take it in because I am pretty sure they will not cover the oil itself, just the seal and labor.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Is is a warranty item; I had it myself. It happens when the engine case isn't fully machined and barbs/high points are left on the mating surface. Mine was taken care of while I waited. (Well, I did take a demo bike out for a spin.) My biggest grip was Victory does not cover the cost of oil with warrantee claims. I wasn't expecting that so I was hit for about $65.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitly not too much oil last oil change was 5k ago so I think it would of shown up before now lol.

Thanks for the heads up guys I will make sure the wallet is ready. I was due for an oil change anyway actually a little over but who is counting. I hope they get me ion and out as quick as someone else stated. I bought my bike from a Ridenow Power Sport not a Vic dealer. So will I need to make an appointment at the Vic dealer or will the dealer i bought the bike from be best.

Also I agree about Cometic they make great gaskets all I use them for my Charger.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Get the Cometic gasket. Expensive but it won't leak.
Yeppir. Be a big spender and buy a couple because sometimes going into a primary is a thing you do.

Somewhere on here there's a thread where this issue was wrote off to assembly methods at Spirit Lake. I don't know about all that but I have had a bike or two and when one of them does this I don't tend to blame the assembly protocol.

If they are going to charge me 65 clams to put a gasket on a primary under warranty, I'm not going to waste my money or time on some summer help kid setting a new gasket. Hell, I can futz it up just as well as he can.

It ain't rocket scientry.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mine started to leak about one year after purchased(same place). I re-torqued the screws all the way around and found them all to be a little loose. Leak is gone and No problems since.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Mine started to leak about one year after purchased(same place). I re-torqued the screws all the way around and found them all to be a little loose. Leak is gone and No problems since.
Sounds like something we should all do, even if there's no leakage occurring. What is the torque spec in those screws?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Sounds like something we should all do, even if there's no leakage occurring. What is the torque spec in those screws?
If I am reading it right, the Service Manual in section 9.5 (page 268) says the primary cover screws are 115 in-lbs.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
If I am reading it right, the Service Manual in section 9.5 (page 268) says the primary cover screws are 115 in-lbs.
Duly noted and thanks a lot. thumb up

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I also tightened my primary cover bolts and most all of them were a little loose. After removing some of the oil that the dealer over filled and tightened the bolts I am no longer leaking oil but still have a slight oil stain where the cover meets the block.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Definitely was not due to the bolts being loose mine are all on there tight as heck, that was the first thing I checked.

I dropped the bike off today and they said they had seen one more as well like that and it was taken care of under warranty. Only bummer was they did not have the gasket in stock so it will have to be ordered, looks like they will have the bike for a week.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Getting replaced under warranty, Ma Vic told dealer that this is happening because the oil level in the bikes are too high causing extra pressure to build up and blowing the gaskets. First fix is free if it happens again they said they wont cover it. I know my oil was not over filled so I am calling BS. I had the dealer do the oil change this time so if it happens again I can hold them responsible. I told the tech to check for burrs before mating the new gasket so I'll ask about it when I pick the bike up Fri.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts