Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 48 I was finally able to purchase my first home . Been renting and paying other peoples mortgages my whole life . Now I can pay mine and have something to show for it .

Here in lies the rub , in the past I would think nothing of dropping 800.00 on a new set of pipes , and all the farkles one could ever want or need . Bikes , cars , trucks , guns you name it I had it , all except my own home , which I could have had years ago if not for this reckless spending .

Been in our new home 10 days now and I am already redirecting my thoughts to my home and what I can do to make it better , I would routinely go into a bike shop and wish I had 30,000.00 to drop what a field day I would have , now yesterday we were in Home Depot and I was thinking the very same thing !

There are a few things I would like to get for my bike / riding pleasure , but now I'm thinking that awesome toolbox with 18 ball bearing draws and a heavy wood workbench top would be great in my new garage .....:grin

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
Just remember, just like your bike, you get what you pay for. Take your time, live with it for a while. you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Mags: being much older than you, and a homeowner for decades, and having bought our latest -- and last -- house six years ago, I offer the following for your consideration. These are my suggestions for usefulness and cost-effectiveness for the garage:

1) This workbench from Sam's:

Seville Classics Ultra HD Workbench - Sam's Club

This is a really solid mofo, with a solid, thick (c. 1.85") top (maple?), 6' long, with leveling feet. My local Sam's has had these for a few years, at $200.

Nice as those toolchest wood tops are, it's often really convenient to be able to have your feet somewhat underneath the work surface. Also, as you can see in my pic, you can store some other stuff under there. And I have a big ol' vise mounted on the right end, with bolts drilled through the top.

2) The NewAge ceiling racks, if you have a tall ceiling in the garage:

NewAge Pro Shelving and Ceiling Storage Racks

You can get these at Home Depot: NewAge Products Performance 96 in. L x 48 in. W x 45 in. H Adjustable VersaRac Ceiling Storage Rack in Gray-40151 - The Home Depot . They were on sale last fall -- I was paying attention, because a neighbor was interested, after seeing mine -- for around $125, and you can get free shipping if you pick them up at a store. I have two of them.

(If you're interested in some garage ceiling ideas, this is an interesting page: Designing for an Organized Garage, Part 1: Using the Ceiling - Core77 .)

3) As you can see in the ceiling-rack pic, I have two pull-down cord reels, one with a light and one with just a triple tap.

No particular brand recommendations here, just that ceiling-mounted extension cords are really freakin handy, and you don't trip over them.

4) LED ceiling lights.

Most garages have a couple of those ceramic bases, where you screw in one bulb. I replaced those in our old house with florescent fixtures, but they're a pain in the ass, with ballasts, starters, and the bulbs get weird in cold weather.

In the new house, I have two of these Cree light fixtures:

Cree 40 in. LED Linear Light Fixture-RL40-40L-35K - The Home Depot

The RL40 and the SL40 are the exact same thing -- I wrote to Cree about this -- with the RL just being the designation for Home Depot. See, e.g., Amazon.com: Cree Sl40 40" Led Surface Linear - 3500k: Musical Instruments . The other 40 is the length.)

This model looks like it's discontinued these days, so you may have to choose some other model and brand. BTW, I paid c. $100 for each of mine, one on sale on eBay and one on sale from Home Depot.

In any case, each unit consumes 55W, and puts out much more light than a single screw-in bulb (even big LED ones, which I had for a couple of years here). So my point is that upgraded lighting is very useful in the garage.

I'm done here.

EDIT: Okay, I'm not done yet. A few I forgot:

5) Chrome shelving:

I've purchased these at Sam's over the years: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/sandusky-heavy-duty-chrome-mobile-wire-5-shelf-shelving-unit-36-w-x-18-d-x-72-h/prod6710488.ip

The same thing is available at Lowes, except the wheels are extra there: http://www.lowes.com/pd_71034-80752-184874C-DS___?productId=3473479

I now have seven(!) of these, four in the garage and three in the basement (for extra dishes and other kitchen stuff, canned food, etc.).

You can actually get a better idea of the garage in this video I made for the bike flasher unit (from my page http://www.billanddot.com/customled-brake-light-flasher.html ). Just ignore the bike:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/C_3IYK6X91Q?rel=0

6) A chock. In my case, I use a Wheeldock: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock/wheeldock-review/

I assert that this is relevant to this topic because you'd be surprised at how much bigger a garage seems if the bike is straight up, as opposed to leaned over on the sidestand. Taking the bike outside, when doing work, is not an option in the winter where I live.

Now maybe I'm done.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts
My addiction to home projects forced me to join HDA (Home Depot Anonymous).

After completing the 12 steps down the tool isle I realized I had a problem but learned how to embrace it by pacing myself to allow for funds for my other wants and needs in life. :D

I also find myself in Ace Hardware more often than I thought I would. Smaller but with better help. ;)

I justified my spending by reminding myself I had to have the right tools for the job.

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
Mags, my friend...forget everything Bill P. wrote about the garage - you ain't gettin' it! Your wife is going to cruise yard/garage/estate sales and fill it up with CRAP, leaving you just enough room for one car and one bike.
You are going to learn all kinds of neat stuff, like how to wire a four way switch when there are only black wires to deal with. Been there Buddy. Thank goodness for Youtube.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Mags, my friend...forget everything Bill P. wrote about the garage - you ain't gettin' it! Your wife is going to cruise yard/garage/estate sales and fill it up with CRAP, leaving you just enough room for one car and one bike.
You are going to learn all kinds of neat stuff, like how to wire a four way switch when there are only black wires to deal with. Been there Buddy. Thank goodness for Youtube.
Ric, you're probably right about the yard sales.

And right about the wiring. When we were having this house built six years ago -- my wife wanted a second oven, but that's a different story -- I didn't want to add the costs of fancy wiring stuff. So as time and money permitted, I went around the house, replacing almost all the light switches with dimmers, and stuff like that.

In the pic, in that particularly nice and fancy plate and switches that was part of my replacement work, the one on the left is one of those freakin four-way on/off switches. I've done my fair share of wiring, but I don't like even three-way switches, let alone four-way... which I'd never messed with before. Bottom line: that's why they invented circuit breakers, instead of still using fuses. After an hour or so of tripping the breaker and going through a bunch of permutations: works like a charm!

Attachments

·
13,185 Posts
you have to run water to the garage with wash tub. Put all your lights on switches. No need for lights on half the garage when your not over there. Air compressor put it under a stairwell or in a shed it get loud and irritating when it runs a lot. Check out craigslist for stuff you'll never know what you'll find

Good Luck with your new future

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help and recommendations fellas , my garage is 7'5" high so ceiling storage is at a minimum . The previous owner had a large workbench and a craftsman radial arm saw setup that he left behind . These take up a lot of room , I may move the saw out to my humongous shed , and cut the bench down in size for now ....

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
The father of one of my friends growing up always said the most important thing is to get a house and pay it off. Even in rural GA it saves me about 2k/month pre tax income. I couldn't have retired with a mortgage or rent. thumb up
I'm not wealthy, but I don't work other than around here.

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts
The father of one of my friends growing up always said the most important thing is to get a house and pay it off. Even in rural GA it saves me about 2k/month pre tax income. I couldn't have retired with a mortgage or rent. thumb up
I'm not wealthy, but I don't work other than around here.
I'm pretty much in the same boat except I do work part time with the leather work I do. I find it makes me feel like I'm giving back and being useful.

No way could I manage to keep my bikes up and pay a mortgage or rent which will always go up. I'm extra lucky because my property taxes are a whopping $64 per year. Long story on why that is that I'd rather not say on an open forum. Nothing illegal; just one of those things.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I cant find anything as it is already !

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Sounds fairly major to me.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Mags, everything has been said, so i only say,

Enjoy a new lifestile, the bike is fine as it is, ( slowly does it ) and garage projects are part of building your house up to spec's ....

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys , We are so happy here so far . I love my garage , I need to make it my own now , just like my bike ! No more Landlord breaking my balls either !:grin

·
13,185 Posts
Mags I used to hide stuff from my self a lot. Then I put in cubby holes now I have one hole for spray cans one for wax's one for oil and so on.
The other side of the garage I hanging girlfriend bike and some other stuff. I have a shed for hose lawnmower and racks.
You have a up and running bike so you can wait on some parts and besides something better might come a long.
My Dad taught me this. Get a good metal box for papers and money and then unscrew a cold air vent cover and slid the box in there put cover back on and only you and the wife knows were it is

Attachments

·
Registered
12,298 Posts
I'm extra lucky because my property taxes are a whopping $64 per year.
That's cuz you live in a Republican state. Our taxes are $7200 a year cuz we live in a Democrat state, city and county. Where is it you live, what's the climate like and is there a Trader Joe's there? :)

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts
I'm extra lucky because my property taxes are a whopping $64 per year.
That's cuz you live in a Republican state. Our taxes are $7200 a year cuz we live in a Democrat state, city and county. Where is it you live, what's the climate like and is there a Trader Joe's there? :)
Mohave County, AZ. Climate is mild. It snows but not enough to have to shovel it. I ride year round. Even in the Winter it usually gets over 50 degrees during the day. There are a few blustery days in Jan/Feb but not many and they don't last very long before it gets nice again.

Nearest Trader Joe's is a bit over an hour away just this side of Las Vegas in Henderson. I take it the Trader Joe's is a pretty big deal for you all.

I've been in one a few times but not for the last, oh, 16+ years. There's a Costco about the same distance and a Sam's Club about 40 minutes away but of course that depends on where you live in the County.

We do our best to discourage liberals from staying. :D They really don't fit in here anyway. There's one older retired guy who is actually pretty cool even for a democrat. I call him my favorite democrat. He says that's not saying much since there are only about 5 in town. There are more but they are only vocal behind a keyboard.

People over 64 can freeze their property values so their taxes stay about the same from then on. Most people pay between 400 and 800 in property taxes depending on the house, age of the place, square footage, acreage, and what developments have been made and of course the assessed value.

You would fit right in Ric.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts