Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...maybe a problem or not. I'm in the middle of a 2500 mile ride with about 900 miles behind me so far....I'm here in Cheraw, SC and heading to Chesapeake, VA tomorrow morning.

Here's the deal. Bike is running great...really it is. But on my next to last gas stop, the would turn over fine, and even sputter but would not run...after two or three attempts...it started...acted fine and I rode another 200 miles today. When I get to the hotel (where I'm at now), I was gonna go grab something to eat...hopped on and same thing...except this time it took about 5-6 attempts, but same symptoms as before. Turns over, acts like its not getting gas and then eventually starts. Once it started...it was fine again.

When I went back out to the bike with my food...I was afraid it would not start at all. SO THIS TIME...I turned the key on, then I turned the ON/OFF switch on (which starts the fuel pump)...and I let it finish running, before I attempted start. STARTED RIGHT UP and ran fine back to the hotel.

So ALL THAT CRAP above to ask a simple question. I think I was hopping on the bike and trying to start it before the fuel pump was done priming.

DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE at all. Never happened before, but I was thinking maybe because it was HOT TODAY (93 degrees) and not letting the fuel pump work...it might have cause a "vapor lock" of some sort.

Opinions...right now all is good...PEACE OF MIND is what I'm looking for. :grin

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope that's all it is ... and YES, I knew that...and YES, I was stupid as hell if that is indeed the issue (and even if it's not). Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Good suggestion on the pressure. Perhaps the Intake Air Valve had to be reset? That's that clunky repetitive sound you hear a few seconds after you turn the key off...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If I'm not mistaken vapor lock went away with electric fuel pumps and fuel injection. It dont sit in a bowl to boil anymore. I would lean more towards the pump not up to pressure or a check valve or something wasnt "reset". Which is basically what I think the previous guys said.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
I always let my fuel pump prime and never had issues. The one time I didn't, I had similar symptoms as you do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
A couple of things come to mind. Battery connections having a little build up causing enough resistance sometimes to act up. Easy to fix. Possible fuel pump issue. Maybe it's getting tired and not quite building enough pressure. One would think they either work or they don't but maybe not.

If you have time; it wouldn't hurt to remove and wire brush the battery terminals to eliminate that possible issue and it's a free thing to do. Just kind of a pain when on the road because of where it is and not having a lift to get at it easier.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I second what Bbob suggests. I always let my bike prime up before I start it but I had similar symptoms as you when my battery started going south. I would definitely check those connections and maybe a load test on the battery if you can swing by an auto parts store.

·
Premium Member
6,136 Posts
Arkie, do you open the throttle just a little bit when starting the bike?

I don't but I read that helps some bikes start easier..

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
418 Posts
Had the same issues, let the pump cycle and then start. It was really hot and the bike was only cooling down for fuel and food stops. I now turn the key, flip the switch and wait. When the bike has been ridden like you had been I give it 10 seconds before I fire. I've also had to open the fuel cap and vent the tank but it was well over 100 and I had been in stop and go for over an hour. Pulled over to take a break and let the bike cool and it became angry.

I think you're fine and have a great trip.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Arkie, do you open the throttle just a little bit when starting the bike?

I don't but I read that helps some bikes start easier..

Andre
TaPaTaLk
So they say..something about avoiding backfire that can mess up the starter clutch.
goes against the grain for me to open the throttle when firing up though.
Although since I pulled my baffles its tempting to crack the throttle just a bit when starting as it startles passers by when it fires!:devil

·
Registered
426 Posts
I always crack the throttle a little bit now, and occasionally the D&Ds (no baffles) will "pop" as it busts off. its hilarious because it sounds about like a .40 cal going off.

·
13,027 Posts
go back and watch Rylan's video. He says when its "cold" crack the throttle.
When its warm its not needed but it doesn't hurt.

Rylan all so says every oil change check battery bolts. Funny he doesn't say any thing about adding lock washers.

·
Registered
742 Posts
My last bike (not Victory) would occasionally act as you describe. The cause turned out to be that it would randomly fail to trigger the fuel pump when I turned on the key. Sometimes I'd have to cycle the key on and off several times to hear the proper hum, after which she'd start normally. Good luck with the rest of your trip - wish I was there!

·
Premium Member
6,136 Posts
Now that everything is sorted, how about some pictures of your roadtrip @arkiebiker ?

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys...all is well now. I'm pretty sure it was that I (after 3 years of owning this bike) did not allow the fuel pump to fully cycle. I'm positive that was the problem, but I do appreciate all the answers...but I did check those connections again. GOOD IDEA though.

As for battery connection issues...I just changed the battery 2 weeks before I left on this ride...

Thanks guys...you helped more than you think you did. If you have ever had a bike problem 1000 miles from...you know that it really plays HELL on your disposition. I'm smiling now...and also made it to my destination. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Arkie, yea know what you mean when something goes a bit south long ways from home. Probably the most stressful thing I can think of was on a trip up to Canada. A couple buddies and I had to go to Canada for work and rode the bikes up. When I got to the Canadian hotel and tried to get the saddle bag open. It was a Yamaha Venture. Something had gotten the lock for the bag jammed and out of alignment. My pass port and some other key items were in there. Man was I panicked.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Guys...all is well now. I'm pretty sure it was that I (after 3 years of owning this bike) did not allow the fuel pump to fully cycle. I'm positive that was the problem, but I do appreciate all the answers...but I did check those connections again. GOOD IDEA though.

As for battery connection issues...I just changed the battery 2 weeks before I left on this ride...

Thanks guys...you helped more than you think you did. If you have ever had a bike problem 1000 miles from...you know that it really plays HELL on your disposition. I'm smiling now...and also made it to my destination. Thanks.
Glad you got it sorted out! Ride safe!

·
13,027 Posts
I wonder if by using the red kill switch all the time screws up the starting process. I know the owners book say to use it but I wonder

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Miles?

How many miles on your bike now. Have you ever changed the fuel filter inside the fuel tank. It could be time. Personally I always try and listen for the pump to build up pressure then start it. In extreme hot conditions in LasVegas I had to open the fuel tank and then close it for it to start. That day in Vegas was very hot, stop and go traffic. Only time I ever had to open the tank and then close it to get the bike to fire up. One other note I believe I changed the fuel filter on my XR at around 25000 miles, it was very dirty.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts