Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help here, lately my bike has been having intermittent problems when you downshift, I've taking it to the dealer and they made and adjustment but to no avail, I was able to make it to Nashville from Athens, AL and once I started to downshift it would only go down to 4th gear? but like I said it's a intermittent problem during the time I was in Nashville it constantly would get stuck BUT I was able to make it back home.

Thursday I ride it to the dealer and had no issues until I was a block away from the dealer, I told them what was going on and Friday 14th the dealer calls me and tells me they saw what I was talking about and that they would need to take off the primary cover and look at what's going on inside. There is no slipping of the clutch, no binding or anything abnormal other then downshifting and it's not evetime, I was able to ride the Trail of Tears Sat from Huntsville to Waterloo and back home and I only had three occasions where it would not downshift through all the gears??

I'm hoping someone can provide me with some good advice or a diagram of the internals of the clutch I'm just wondering what makes up the shifting components??

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hmm I'll be watching this one. No solution for you but I remember someone posted a pic of something they did inside the primary cover for shifting issues. Maybe that is related to your issue.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
So when it gets "stuck" in a gear, if you pull in the clutch does it feel like its still pulling/engaged? If so them maybe look into clutch issue. To me it sounds more like a shift/linkage problem. If I was to arm chair diagnose its probably inside the drum or "claw" looking thing not sure what they call it. But something is not gripping to twist the drum to select the next gear, weather up or down. You only having the issue on downshifts?

·
Registered
302 Posts
So when it gets "stuck" in a gear, if you pull in the clutch does it feel like its still pulling/engaged? If so them maybe look into clutch issue. To me it sounds more like a shift/linkage problem. If I was to arm chair diagnose its probably inside the drum or "claw" looking thing not sure what they call it. But something is not gripping to twist the drum to select the next gear, weather up or down. You only having the issue on downshifts?
Shift fork, you mean?

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
depot picker has a good point. Assuming you are correctly downshifting while moving, here's what I'd be checking before I let some wrench monkey touch my bike...
+ Is there proper slack in the clutch cable? The proper adjustment is in your manual.
+ Is the link at the rear end of the shift rod on the shaft correctly? There will be two dots that should be next to each other.
+ Is there too much end play on the shifter shaft that goes into the primary case?
+ Is the shifter lowered to where when you slip your foot under it, it takes up most of the slack?
Answer the above for us and we can be of more help.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I second what Ricz is saying. I've been of this forum for 6 years now and clutch/motor problems are rare on these bikes, even with 100k miles on them. I also don't trust most of the "mechanics" out there to take their time and do a repair right these days.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, it's still engaged.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
depot picker has a good point. Assuming you are correctly downshifting while moving, here's what I'd be checking before I let some wrench monkey touch my bike...
+ Is there proper slack in the clutch cable? The proper adjustment is in your manual.
+ Is the link at the rear end of the shift rod on the shaft correctly? There will be two dots that should be next to each other.
+ Is there too much end play on the shifter shaft that goes into the primary case?
+ Is the shifter lowered to where when you slip your foot under it, it takes up most of the slack?
Answer the above for us and we can be of more help.
+Yes, the dealer even made adjustment because I've never had it adjusted since I've had the bike new in 2014
+I have Arlen ness billet linkage installed and I did the install two years ago and before I removed the stock linkage, I marked the position so I would know the original position. I didn't see any dots on mine?

+No, that was adjusted as well?

+I just checked and it seems normal, I use a heel shifter I would take a swag and saw maybe a 1/2 in of play or less of play?

But like I mentioned in my original post it's a intermittent problem, I rode in the Trail of Tears Sat and only had two or three issues with the clutch.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
+Yes, the dealer even made adjustment because I've never had it adjusted since I've had the bike new in 2014
That is too long to go without adjusting. Do that every oil change or sooner. Do not trust a shop to do it right.
+I have Arlen ness billet linkage installed and I did the install two years ago and before I removed the stock linkage, I marked the position so I would know the original position. I didn't see any dots on mine?
Is the rod the same length as the original?
+No, that was adjusted as well?
There is no adjustment for the shifter ratchet shaft end ply, except for removing the primary case and adding a washer to eliminate the slop. You may have a worn shifter ratchet.
+I just checked and it seems normal, I use a heel shifter I would take a swag and saw maybe a 1/2 in of play or less of play?
Heel shifers place a lot of excess forces on the shift mechanisms, I refuse to use one because of that.
But like I mentioned in my original post it's a intermittent problem, I rode in the Trail of Tears Sat and only had two or three issues with the clutch.
I'm placing my bets on the shifter ratchet.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I'm placing my bets on the shifter ratchet.
ratchet and spring. My 05 touring cruiser was notorious about this.

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts
Id bet my left nut that its the shift ratchet!
Edit...do the drain bung washer trick while youre in there.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does anyone have a svc manual or breakout pic's of the clutch assembly?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts