Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to add a few items to my new 13 XC since my dealer offered me 20% off. Long story short, added Denali Lights, fantastic, no issue.

Put on a Klock Werks screen upon the advice of others, I seem to get more buffeting out of it than the scrawny little stock screen, thinking of going back to stock.

Put on a drivers backrest and have a noticeable transfer of vibration though it to my back, a good buzzing vibration.

Finally, added heated grips, on my ride home (100 miles) when I put them on high it seems something internally in the throttle grip is expanding with the heat making the throttle seem like it has a throttle lock on, the throttle position stays where ever I put it, also interferes with the cruise control. Low heat makes the throttle response sluggish, off it snaps into place. Will talk to my dealer for sure about this one, the others are my problems.

Just curious if others have experience the same issues. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
679 Posts
As far as the heated grips, the handlebar weight (the chrome weighted end) on the cross bikes is just pressed on. When you use the heated grips the heat makes the grip expand and it makes contact with the press on end. You can grip the press on end and twist it back and forth so you can move it out away from the grip. I have had the same problem on my XC. I took it back to the dealer when it happened, he came out and fixed it while I waited. Very easy fix, but it takes some force to move it. The end on my XC is plastic, so if you use tools to move it make sure you wrap the end with something to protect it from being damaged. :)

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Decided to add a few items to my new 13 XC since my dealer offered me 20% off. Long story short, added Denali Lights, fantastic, no issue.

Put on a Klock Werks screen upon the advice of others, I seem to get more buffeting out of it than the scrawny little stock screen, thinking of going back to stock.

Put on a drivers backrest and have a noticeable transfer of vibration though it to my back, a good buzzing vibration.

Finally, added heated grips, on my ride home (100 miles) when I put them on high it seems something internally in the throttle grip is expanding with the heat making the throttle seem like it has a throttle lock on, the throttle position stays where ever I put it, also interferes with the cruise control. Low heat makes the throttle response sluggish, off it snaps into place. Will talk to my dealer for sure about this one, the others are my problems.

Just curious if others have experience the same issues. Thanks in advance.
Just bought a backrest, I hope mine is a vibrating/massage model, I'd pay extra for that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As far as the heated grips, the handlebar weight (the chrome weighted end) on the cross bikes is just pressed on. When you use the heated grips the heat makes the grip expand and it makes contact with the press on end. You can grip the press on end and twist it back and forth so you can move it out away from the grip. I have had the same problem on my XC. I took it back to the dealer when it happened, he came out and fixed it while I waited. Very easy fix, but it takes some force to move it. The end on my XC is plastic, so if you use tools to move it make sure you wrap the end with something to protect it from being damaged. :)
Thanks, just want to clarify, when you say move it out of the way, pull it out like you are taking the end cap off? And if so, how far? And leave it that way? Thanks again.

·
Registered
636 Posts
My OEM heated grips did that on my previous bike. I have Avons on my new bike and no issues at all......

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks, just want to clarify, when you say move it out of the way, pull it out like you are taking the end cap off? And if so, how far? And leave it that way? Thanks again.
Exactly. The problem isn't with the heated grips, it is just because the installer didn't leave enough clearance between the grip and the end weight. As far as the clearance required, just move the ends out when the grips are hot and move the end enough to solve the clearance problem. It won't matter if you move them a little farther than necessary, they are just on to reduce vibration in your handlebars. thumb up

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
They are just hollow plastic so I don't think they do anything for vibration. I used a small block of wood with a cloth over it when I removed my original plastic bar ends to keep from damaging them. I did notice that my replacement bar ends stuck out a tad bit further than the originals so I am wondering if who ever did the install put the originals back on? I hammered both in as far as they would go and I have not had any problems with the throttle sticking due to expansion yet. I have noticed that I still can not tell a difference between the high and low setting, they both get pretty hot.

·
Registered
167 Posts
, the handlebar weight (the chrome weighted end) on the cross bikes is just pressed on.

Kinda changing the subject, but has anyone found a larger handlebar weight for their XCT? I have '13 XCT with factory heated grips. I don't need more weight just a little more room to hold on to the end of the bar. Thanks

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The only advertised option I've seen are the Kewl Locks (bar end helmet locks) but any bar end that will fit inside a 1" bar should work. As with heated grips or any other aftermarket grips make sure your throttle turns/returns freely before riding. Unwanted cruise could suck...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts