Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting a Progressive shock for my 2008 Jackpot that is lowered 1.25"
Any thoughts or reviews on it?

Thanks,
Robb

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a Progressive shock for my 2008 Jackpot that is lowered 1.25"
Any thoughts or reviews on it?

Thanks,
Robb
Fantastic shock, available stock or lower, mines stock height and soaks up smaller stuff beautifully like a magic carpet ride.
Tracks and holds a line real nice.
Set the sag and away you go, if yr competent on the tools youll fit it yrself, get a useful mate to help as youllvneed 4 hands to line up top bolt, you may have to do a switch on the bottom bolt to another one that comes off in the process.
Not rocket science, youll work it out.
Do it youll love it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
lower is generally stiffer

if you need or just want it lower its your choice for sure, but the spring in a lower shock needs to be stiffer due to less working length. i put a slightly longer Penske on my 13 hammer, it really smoothed the ride as they are built for YOU! a lighter 240 tire helps as well. i installed my shock using a bike jack, a little PITA but my labor is free + i enjoy doing it. one bolt is needed to be longer as noted. be aware of the needle bearings in the link, surely dont want to disturb them.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's already lowered with the links so I was thinking o going with the stock length shock. Will it help with bottoming out as well?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Fantastic shock, available stock or lower, mines stock height and soaks up smaller stuff beautifully like a magic carpet ride.
Set the sag and away you go, if yr competent on the tools youll fit it yrself, get a useful mate to help as youllvneed 4 hands to line up top bolt, you may have to do a switch on the bottom bolt to another one that comes off in the process.
Do it youll love it.
I'll save some typing and just say I concur with the above statements.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
It's already lowered with the links so I was thinking o going with the stock length shock. Will it help with bottoming out as well?
Well it 'should'
Mines not lowered as I want all the cornering clearance I can get.
Progressive is softer intially over the minor to medium stuff and harder on the big stuff.
I havent bottomed out since fitting it and setting it up.
Tell em your weight when ordering. Now if you ride 2 up a lot you may want to factor that extra weight in too.
Then its how you set your sag, I use the 2/3 of total travel method and set it midway between one up and two up so its a bit firmer solo and errs to the softer with a passenger..
Once set up that way I leave it alone.
Bonus with the Progressive is the adjustment for 'sag' or 'preload' is easier to get töo than stock and theres a 5 position rebound setting adjustable by Allen key that you dont get stock.
PS youre already low with your link so I'd advise not going any lower.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which length did everyone go with? Standard?
My bike is already lowered so I'm guessing I don't want the 1" shorter version.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What's the benefit of that one? Doesn't give much info on that page.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Which length did everyone go with? Standard?
My bike is already lowered so I'm guessing I don't want the 1" shorter version.
Look above ^ I have already answered your question.

If youre loaded $ go the Penske

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look above ^ I have already answered your question.

If youre loaded $ go the Penske
I was just asking because Progressive told me to ask the dealer which length I needed. I assumed it was the standard but I wasn't sure.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
I was just asking because Progressive told me to ask the dealer which length I needed. I assumed it was the standard but I wasn't sure.
You can measure yours eye to eye on the bolts and see whats in there now.
But if yr already bottoming I wouldnt go lower.
Was a while ago so Ive forgot the lengths but guessing 355 mm and 368 mm rings a bell.
Ive many old posts on the subject.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. How hard was the install?

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Do it youll love it.
100% concur thumb up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts