Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hve replaced the stock rear shock on my Pin with the Progressive 465 (1 inch low). I adjusted it for correct ride height but the spring seems to be alot further down (compressed) compared to stock; stock shock lock nut about 1 inch from top and the progressive is about 4 inches from top.
For those who hve installed the465 shock, is this adjustment correct?? It feels OK.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I hve replaced the stock rear shock on my Pin with the Progressive 465 (1 inch low). I adjusted it for correct ride height but the spring seems to be alot further down (compressed) compared to stock; stock shock lock nut about 1 inch from top and the progressive is about 4 inches from top.
For those who hve installed the465 shock, is this adjustment correct?? It feels OK.
I have the standard 465, memory tells me that my collar is down farther than stock. It probably has to do with the progressive rate spring they use. If the ride height is correct, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a great riding shock for the money. very noticeable compared to stock. When my girlfriend noticed the difference, I knew it wasn't just in my head. She asked what I did to make the ride was so much smoother.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
your progressive shock although prolly better is an off the shelf option, that said a costly Penske shock built for you + your setup would have been better. if your satisfied with the ride + handling don't sweat the small stuff

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Yeah that's the way it is, makes it a hell of a lot easier to get to the adjustment nuts as they're right there in front of you.
Set up the correct sag to suit you or you and your passenger,
(Google or Youtube suspension setup)
mines set for two so it rides a bit harder solo, set the sag and then tune your rebound, mines on setting 4. and youre away.
Worlds apart from the stock shock!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Raising an 08 Kingpin

Ive read in several posts people talking about using the progressive 465 in order to increase clearance for cornering. From what I can find the shock only comes in 1 inch shorter than stock and stock length.

Not understanding how it increases clearance if its the same length as stock.

Can nyone shed any light ?

I need to increase my cornering clearance on my 08 kingpin

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ive read in several posts people talking about using the progressive 465 in order to increase clearance for cornering. From what I can find the shock only comes in 1 inch shorter than stock and stock length.

You won't gain any cornering clearance with the 465. Not in my experience anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts

Only real way of increasing clearance is to get an XR XC XCT type bike, much more clearance as well as rear suspension travel.
I love my Vegas and ride it fairly hard and enjoy cornering.
The 465 gets the rear suspension working better, tracks truer and with sag set correctly or a bit harder, mines set for two-up, the you will gain a little.
My biggest gain came from shifting my weight more and putting more thought into lines, corner entry speed, on known roads.
Also my peg scrapers are long gone never to return and the ends on my pegs are nearly gone.
My Freedom Performance pipe scrapes on rh side but it gradually wearing down.
Having sticky Pirelli Night Dragons dont help either!
Well actually they do.:)
A good shock set up right and a smooth riding style,
Slow in-fast out on unknown bends is the best we gonna get on our cruisers short of buying a CrossRoads or a Ducati.

Wonders if a lowering link made to raise an inch instead of drop would work?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
when i ordered my Penske shock directly from Penske for my 13 Hammer i asked for a inch longer as i believe the S model used. i was told by the Tech a half inch longer body was all that would work so thats what i got. unless your a big-lb person backing off the preload raises the rear a bit, it soften the ride as well for me. i guess the linkage is the limiting factor, seeing lowering links you would think the opposite would work as well.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
when i ordered my Penske shock directly from Penske for my 13 Hammer i asked for a inch longer as i believe the S model used. i was told by the Tech a half inch longer body was all that would work so thats what i got. unless your a big-lb person backing off the preload raises the rear a bit, it soften the ride as well for me. i guess the linkage is the limiting factor, seeing lowering links you would think the opposite would work as well.
Do you know if the steel cruiser lowering link is longer or shorter than stock? and by how much? as I don't think its in direct proportion.
If I knew the answer it'd be possible to fabricate a 'raising' link fairly easy.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Victory offered two versions of the vegas/kingpin bikes, standard and low. Seat height on a low was a little over an inch lower than standard. They achieved this by installing a shorter shock with less travel than the standard.
If you have a low version kingpin you could install the longer shock giving you an increase in ride height and ground clearance.
They made a vegas low in 08 but not sure about the pin, but I know it was available in 09, I almost bought one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts