Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I purchased my SS Air Cleaner last year I haven't cleaned it.. now that my tank it off for another task at hand I thought I'd take the opportunity to clean the pleated cotton air filter. I have a few questions:

1. How do I know this filter can be cleaned?
2. Is the a preferred method, instructions that works well for others?
3. Is there a cleaning kit I can pick up at any auto parts store that works well?
4. Do all filters need to have solvent sprayed on it before cleaning and oil sprayed on them after cleaning?

This is the first time I'll have every cleaned one believe it or not so pardon my layman's questions here, but figured I'd do it right the first time.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Cleaning Air Filter

K&N makes an air cleaner kit. It has the cleaner and the oil spray in it... You might try it. Maybe get one at a auto parts store. Or use some "Mean Green" with hot water and rinse it real good would work. Let it dry out real good too. I've done that on my K&N A/C before i bought the cleaner kit.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Get a K&N "recharge kit". There are directions with it. It's simple.

Paper air filters cannot be cleaned and reused, but K&N or "K&N type" washable filters can easily be cleaned and re-used almost forever.

You spray it with the solvent that comes in the kit (it's like 409 spray cleaner). Then you rinse it FROM THE CLEAN/INTERIOR SIDE with water (not high pressure water). Once it's dry, you spray it with the spray oil that comes in the kit. The oil is the important thing. These filters rely on oil to catch particles passing into the filter media.

https://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/k-n-engineering-4022/performance-16477/engine-16841/filters-16562/air-filter-oils---cleaners-17823/filter-care-service-kit/995000/4393530

https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/8564869/00566

Pretty much any auto parts store or places like "Trick Trucks" will have the kits in stock. Or, of course, Amazon.

·
13,263 Posts
Don't forget to check all the rubber niples and hose

Reactions: half_crazy

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks much everyone. I figured this was how it was gonna be but wanted to check in before hand; much appreciate the info.

And yep, those caps were replaced last year when I replaced the TB Adaptor from cracking; again though much appreciate the reminder.

Take care and thanks so much for the links and info too.

My other project that's going on which made me decide to remove the tank and clean the Air Filter... and TB... (However the TB is still very clean).. but I'm changing my stock handlebars to a set of 12" FBM Chopper Apes.. so far they're a much much different look and I'm trying to find some good fairly inexpensive either plus 2 or plus 4 inch extension cables but they're much more expensive than I'd thought... mainly considering FMB Choppers didn't think I'd need new cables and could use the stock ones.. maybe it's possible, but they seem like they'd be way too tight for my liking if I could finagle them on... Oh well, nuff blabb'n from me, thanks again everyone and I'll post some picks when it's done.

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
There is a Plan B if the K&N kit isn't available. Use Dawn dish washing soap (this brand is the best for dissolving oil) in warm to hot water. Let dry or carefully blow dry the filter. Use mineral oil in a spray bottle to recharge the filter. The oil that comes in the K&N is basically dyed red mineral oil. Go light but not too light. This is really the only tricky part of the cleaning/recharge process. Too much and it can cause problems with the IAC and too little can let too many larger particles through. I like to spray the filter, let it kinda soak in for a little while, then take a clean cloth or paper shop rag and blot any excess. This has worked well for me anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
those caps were replaced last year when I replaced the TB Adaptor from cracking; again though much appreciate the reminder.
You're already ahead of it on maintenance... good deal.

There is a Plan B if the K&N kit isn't available.
How is that even possible? For anyone in the continental US, just about anything you want can be on your doorstep in 2 days. From the tires on my truck to the jacket I will put on when I leave for work, one click got it here at the lowest cost with free shipping. If you don't like it... "Web description inaccurate" and it will be picked up and your money refunded. Gotta love Amazon Prime.

·
Premium Member
13,729 Posts
How is that even possible? For anyone in the continental US, just about anything you want can be on your doorstep in 2 days. From the tires on my truck to the jacket I will put on when I leave for work, one click got it here at the lowest cost with free shipping. If you don't like it... "Web description inaccurate" and it will be picked up and your money refunded. Gotta love Amazon Prime.
Very true but some folks just like to do it old school or down on the farm style.

·
Registered
483 Posts
$10 bucks for the K&N kit on Amazon.

I just ordered one and did both my front filters on my Visions.

1. Remove filter
2. Spray with cleaner
3. Let soak for 10 minutes
4. Rinse from the clean side out with low pressure water
5. Let dry, mine dried over night being placed in my snake room which is nice and warm
6. Recharge with oil, don't over oil
7. Reinstall on bike

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Dont blow dry them...air dry them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
VVBD, you stated that you have a snake room. What kind of snakes do you have?.

I used to be a member of the Pittsburgh Herpetological Society and had a number of snakes as well as a bunch of other reptiles.

Attachments

Reactions: VicVisionBulldog

·
Registered
483 Posts
VVBD, you stated that you have a snake room. What kind of snakes do you have?.

I used to be a member of the Pittsburgh Herpetological Society and had a number of snakes as well as a bunch of other reptiles.
Very cool!

Currently I have:

Ball Python
Western Hognose
Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Green Tree Python
Emerald Tree Boa
4 Blood Pythons

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's very cool. Love the Blood Pythons, and the Brazilian Rainbows are a beautiful snake.

·
Registered
483 Posts
That's very cool. Love the Blood Pythons, and the Brazilian Rainbows are a beautiful snake.
I do too.

I really enjoy the two arboreal ones the most(to look at). How they display is just too cool. Like living art. The others are fun but hiding all the time doesn't leave much to look at. As for the Bloods I love their heavy body. They are just flat out impressive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree, when they are always hiding they're not much to look at. I had mostly Columbian Boas(3) and Burmese pythons, a 12' albino Burmese and a 16' normal Burmese; a breeding pair of yellow Rat snakes; an albino Black Rat snake which was pure white(very beautiful) and a couple of eastern milk snakes. The only problem was that they took a lot of time to care for them properly and with my job I eventually ran out of time and ended up donating them to members of the Herp Society.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Very beautiful! Like the coloring on the Emerald Boa and the Blood Python is just gorgeous

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Filter has now been cleaned and recharged; putting it back in the bike.

Thanks for the Dawn disk soap, and mineral spirits method and also thanks for the K&N recharge kit method (this is what I used... worked really well.)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Some of those snakes would make nice cowboy boots.

Sorry couldn't resist.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts